• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Gates v belts

Welder Dave

I needed some new belts for my 3 pt. hitch mower. I've had to change them a couple times. The last belts were Kevlar and made by Pix in India. They seemed better at first but after some heavy cutting they just deteriorated and severely stretched. I decided to try some standard non kevlar Gates belts as I've read they are a very good belt. They cost about $35 more than I could have got the Pix kevlar so hopefully they last a long time. Does anyone have experience with Gates High Power II belts? They are B74 size belts.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Of all the industrial belt manufacturers Gates has to the pick of em IMHO.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I stand behind Gates Belts as well. Odd or No Names are usually Foreign made and of less grade quality.

Reactions: DB2

Truck Shop

Funny, all I stocked for truck belts was CAT when it came to V-belts. Outlasted the rest plus came as two
for matched set.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
OK, since we are on the subject: How do you measure a v-belt for length? Gates belts come with a number printed on them. But it never quite comes out right. I had a job with an unknown belt the other day and I just took 6 or 8 belts of all the lengths with me. I'll have to return the rest. I hate doing that to my vendors.

mitch504

If I remember right, it is around the outside circumference.
If I remember wrong, it is something else entirely.

Easy enough to check my memory I guess, run a tape around the outside of a NEW belt.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Always been told to run a string around the pulleys to get a measurement which thus entails measurements are from both sides just outside will include thickness of the belt to final dimensions.. Instead of thinking of it as a thick round circle with two different circumferences think of it as a line, if you cut it and lay it flat it will be of same dimensions on both sides

Last edited:

Welder Dave

Kind of wierd they are measured around the outside but the number is based on the inside dimension. Outside is 77 inches and inside measurement on a B74 is 3 inches less.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
In over 40 years of tinkering with stuff I've never seen a Gates product fail because it was crappy product, not once.

Truck Shop

A guy I know has a permanent dark red line running down from top of forehead to his chin.
Was looking/listening for a noise leaning over racing the engine. A piece of the belt snapped
his face like a bull whip.

Realistically any belt that will keep the accessory's turning---is a good belt.

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
Gates and Dayco, We run a lot of the Gates green stripe belts on stuff with good results. We put a lot of Bando and Browning belts on fans, blowers and compressors too.

Not a huge fan of Carlisle

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Gates offers excellent training on their products. Great resource for apprentices and old dogs. Nice tools, too. I have their laser pulley alignment kit. Nice setup.