• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Gates v belts

Volvomad

Find their automotive belts in a and z section better than any oem belt. Never found their b sections much above average. Bando or mitsuboshi would be well ahead in b. Use nothing other than gates hydraulic hose any more. Both hose and fittings are a1

Welder Dave

Why would their B belts be less quality? If it's the same model of belt, the construction should be the same between A and B or other section sizes.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Would somebody please explain what all the numbers and letters mean?

Is there a difference between an automotive belt such as a 9360 and a cogged raw edge such as a AX360 for instance?

Welder Dave

I've seen belts with 2 sets of numbers, ie/ B** and 4L380 or something along those lines. On B belts the B is the section width then the number is the outside measurement. Just because I needed a B74, I discovered that the outside measurement is 3" longer. I wonder if they go by the inside measurement so it's easier to measure around the pulley's??? I'm not sure but I think someone told me automotive belts are generally higher speed and made to different/better standards then industrial belts. For some applications there are several different types of belts that can be used.

Last edited:

Volvomad

From my own little experience amd imagination, auto belts are designed to carry higher loads in smaller spaces so tend to have more cord and are not a stretch fit so should be idealy be paired. Some times i ask for more than what i need and pair them as best i can on the shop counter. Industrial belts usually stretch to tension equally. And loads of sheaves to carry any amount of power.
Belt lenght is normally pitch lenght which i think is where the belt sits in the operational diameter of the pulley so some where in the middle of the belt section. Some metric belts use Li,
La , or Lp for lenght.