• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Gas-fed fire leaves 200 in the dark

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Reprinted from "News Times Live.com"

Pavement grinder hits Bethel fuel line

By John Pirro
staff writer

BETHEL -- A pavement grinder ripping up asphalt on South Street struck a gas line Thursday afternoon, sparking a fire that destroyed the machine and left some 200 residents without power.
The gas-fed fire burned for almost four hours before a crew from Yankee Gas managed to locate a shutoff valve buried under the roadway.

"Thankfully, no one was hurt," Highway Department Superintendent Bob Dibble said.

The accident occurred about 3:45 p.m. on a section of South Street near Taylor Avenue. The machine was grinding up the old asphalt in preparation for repaving the roadway.

"I was about 20 feet behind the machine," Dibble said. "There was a 'whoomp' kind of noise, and a big fireball shot into the air."

Dibble said the grinder struck a "blowoff valve," which he said was designed to release gas if too much pressure built up in the line.

Bethel resident Matt Alongi said he was sitting in his doctor's office on Front Street, about a block away from the fire, when he heard a loud boom and rushed outside.

"All I could see was huge clouds of smoke coming up," he related.

Firefighters, police and emergency personnel rushed to the scene, just a block away from the downtown area, First Selectman Bob Burke said.

Health officials and personnel from the state Department of Environmental Protection and the Department of Public Utilities Control were also on hand, he said.

Residents of several nearby homes were evacuated, and train service on the nearby Metro-North commuter line was delayed.

Burke said firefighters extinguished the blaze at about 7:30 p.m. after a utility crew turned off the gas.

The flames melted part of the siding on one house at the corner of Taylor Avenue and South Street, but the occupants weren't injured.

Burke said he expected electricity to be turned back on by about 2 a.m. Friday.

Dibble said a new machine would have to be brought in to finish the pavement grinding operation, but that he expected work to resume this morning.

The project is supposed to be done by next Friday.

Staff writer Dirk Perrefort contributed to this story

Some additional coverage:

http://hatcityblog.blogspot.com/2007/07/bethel-gas-fire-coverage.html

http://www.newstimeslive.com/news/story.php?id=1060130&source=big_barker

Attachments

• mill fire.jpg
    mill fire.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 1,168
  • mill fire b.jpg
    mill fire b.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 1,167

IH PULR

I was at that job site the day before talking to the building inspetor about house on the corner about 50 ft from were the thing went up . I went to sign a contract at a near by contractors office while the gas was burning very scary sound lucky no one was hurt ,

milling_drum

Occupation
asphalt mill operator (ret)
Thats actually a CMI reclaimer. Fires have been known to happen when hydraulic hoses blow and spray fluid on exhaust areas or gearboxes that get too hot...

Looks nasty and I'll bet the operator was blamed, sometimes unfairly too.

tonka

Occupation
Equipment Operator
Thats actually a CMI reclaimer. Fires have been known to happen when hydraulic hoses blow and spray fluid on exhaust areas or gearboxes that get too hot...

Looks nasty and I'll bet the operator was blamed, sometimes unfairly too.
i was thinking the same thing.............:beatsme

John Banks

That happened at the end of the street from our shop @ my p/t job. What a mess. The pic on the left shows the machine on fire - there's a house to the right of the machine on the corner of the street - the siding was melted, etc.

milling_drum

Occupation
asphalt mill operator (ret)
When they pulverize its usually pretty deep. Those types of machines are meant to get into the base and mix it with broken asphalt. Depending on the area, old or newer, would give an idea of how deep they were trying to go.

Obviously someone forgot to check the depth of something somewhere....