• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Galion 503 series L

Razorsedge2003

5111433 which only the first number makes sense. 53 series. It’s not an 11 cylinder! But that’s good enough for what I needed to know. Thanks

DK_stihl

The 503 is a nice machine but it has a few small quirks that I'd like to address. Do not idle in neutral for extended periods, the trans will not oil the upper two shaft bearings. If you notice one wheel isn't pulling, STOP and at least fish out the broken double 60 chain, it will break the other one and destroy the driven sprockets. Don't patch a broken chain, toss it and put in new, these are a weak design that went backwards from the G series 100 pitch chain. If you see a G, grab it for the finals and the 100 pitch sprocket. Where the drop arms are welded to the circle, if they aren't fish plated already where the little stiffener goes between the two at the curve, do it now. This will break and leave you with a bend slider to try and get straight again.
To your question, yeah they exist but are scarce, try Equipment Salvage in Cambridge Oh. Bob may have one there.
I know this is long winded but I've put a lot hours fixing and repowering these machines and want to pass it on. Oh, one more thing, AC D's and DD's use the same transaxle, aside from the engine bolt pattern. Whew!
Do you know anything about 103 Model Galion Graders? The one I'm looking at has an RD450 Engine

American Jeeper

Sorry but no, mostly 503's and T500's.

Hi repowerguy, I'm helping a buddy longdistance, who's in PA. He just bought a 503, no idea what year...I'm thinking somewhere around 1960-1962, S/N 503-GI-3776. It still has the original IH UB-220, which he removed to freshen up. When he took it out, he found that the bellhousing had been packed full of mouse nests...the grader had been sitting for the better part of over 20 years. It did fire up and was able to move, although the pressure plate is completely frozen, so he wants to order a new one. The problem is, with me being out in Idaho and doing this by phone and email with him, he doesn't know what brand, size or model clutch kit to order. We have the IH UB-200 service and parts manuals, but the clutch kit they show doesn't look like what he has. Who made the 4-spd manual transmissions for Galion? In my research, I've seen Clark mentioned. I just don't want him wasting his money and time ordering a bunch of different clutch kits to see what fits. Is it an 11" clutch? The IH parts manual also lists two options for the bellhousing, S.A.E. 3 and S.A.E 4....the Galion 503 had the S.A.E. 4, correct?

Thanks for all your help, I appreciate it greatly.

-Fred

jemarshall64

Hi repowerguy, I'm helping a buddy longdistance, who's in PA. He just bought a 503, no idea what year...I'm thinking somewhere around 1960-1962, S/N 503-GI-3776. It still has the original IH UB-220, which he removed to freshen up. When he took it out, he found that the bellhousing had been packed full of mouse nests...the grader had been sitting for the better part of over 20 years. It did fire up and was able to move, although the pressure plate is completely frozen, so he wants to order a new one. The problem is, with me being out in Idaho and doing this by phone and email with him, he doesn't know what brand, size or model clutch kit to order. We have the IH UB-200 service and parts manuals, but the clutch kit they show doesn't look like what he has. Who made the 4-spd manual transmissions for Galion? In my research, I've seen Clark mentioned. I just don't want him wasting his money and time ordering a bunch of different clutch kits to see what fits. Is it an 11" clutch? The IH parts manual also lists two options for the bellhousing, S.A.E. 3 and S.A.E 4....the Galion 503 had the S.A.E. 4, correct?

Thanks for all your help, I appreciate it greatly.

-Fred

Diesel Creek

That pressure plate reminded me of the ones in my scout. Rockwell if I can remember right.

If there is a friction company he can take it to they can match it up pretty easily. We have a place in Portland that I use from time to time for stuff like that call Otts Friction.

Last edited:

American Jeeper

Diesel Creek

That pressure plate reminded me of the ones in my scout. Rockwell if I can remember right.

If there is a friction company he can take it to they can match it up pretty easily. We have a place in Portland that I use from time to time for stuff like that call Otts Friction.

Yep, Matt's grader. It definitely looks like a Rockford to me, I just want to be sure, before I tell him to pull the trigger. I think the closest place near him is actually in Baltimore. They guarantee that they can rebuild anything. Matt said that the springs are completely toast. IIRC, that assembly can be taken apart, right?

repowerguy

Occupation
mixer truck mechanic
I’m pretty sure it’s a Rockford, but to be honest we always reused the old one, or use a takeoff from a parts grader. It is a Clark transaxle that’s a SAE 4. BTW, a AC D grader uses the same transaxle but with a solid input shaft and a AC specific bell housing bolt pattern. The tandem chain cases while rectangular on the AC and oval on the Galion are oval, will interchange. Hint hint.

American Jeeper

I’m pretty sure it’s a Rockford, but to be honest we always reused the old one, or use a takeoff from a parts grader. It is a Clark transaxle that’s a SAE 4. BTW, a AC D grader uses the same transaxle but with a solid input shaft and a AC specific bell housing bolt pattern. The tandem chain cases while rectangular on the AC and oval on the Galion are oval, will interchange. Hint hint.

Thanks for the confirmation, I greatly appreciate your help.

Just to be clear, the Rockford clutch and pressure plate are 11", correct?

Last edited:

John Mitchell

Hi. I have a Galion 503L with a dozer blade I am thinking about selling the dozer off of the front. I do not use it because I have a TD7c Dozer I do all that work with. The dozer is a complete unit and the hydraulics work as they are supposed to. I will sell the blade, the hydraulic ram, all linkage and mounting hardware. Everything on the front end. Not the controls or the steel hydraulic line from the front where the cylinder hooks to the line. Make me an offer? I will consider it.
John Mitchell john@concinnitybooks.com

John Mitchell

Hello I'm new to this forum. I Just bought a 503 galion and am wondering if there are front scarifier mounts or something for a dozer blade or snow plow for these small graders? There's a flat plate with holes on the front. Does anyone know of a setup laying around in a scrap yard somewhere or a junk machine? Also any information about the machine would be appreciated as I've only operated newer much larger county graders. Also what is a reasonable priced tire that works good for these? It's a 10.00x20. Thanks this is an interesting forum!
Galion 503

John Mitchell

If you want a dozer blade I am selling the one on the front of my Galion 503 series L. 2,500.00 for the blade, linkage, hydraulic cylinder, nuts, bolts if you remove or 3,000.00 if I remove. If you remove you may use my shop to work in. I can load you out. Contact John Mitchell: john@concinnitybooks.com . Or if you want the grader with the dozer blade it is 12,800.00 as is where is shipping is your responsibility. I will help with loading. Grader is 10 miles +/- north of Fort Myers, Florida 33982
John Mitchell

Clyde Hathaway

I have about a 1975 503L SN GM06886. Has a 353 Detroit from factory. I can look up part number if need be but we ordered 13 inch from napa.when they came in were too small so brake is 14 inch.