• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Galion 150 Refurbish

Boom-up-Bob

Happy 4th of July!

Got a bit done over the past few days, and now, the painting is done (front tires, drive shafts, shift linkage rods). Mounted the rear LED lights along with 4 Whelen LED strobe hazzrd lights (will have 10 on the machine when done). Having fun!

View attachment 137532
View attachment 137533
View attachment 137534
View attachment 137535
Looks great, we just purchased a 150FA found an operators guide online, looking for a parts manual I have a leak on the control valve for the second third scope. Seems like it builds a lot of back pressure when i try and come back in. I'm thinking a relief valve? Have you come across the issue?

crane operator

Looks great, we just purchased a 150FA found an operators guide online, looking for a parts manual I have a leak on the control valve for the second third scope. Seems like it builds a lot of back pressure when i try and come back in. I'm thinking a relief valve? Have you come across the issue?

Retract and extend are slow on 2-3. Way slower than the big section.

Is the leak on your valve right at the dash lever in the cab? That's where they usually leak. I get my parts from Contractors Crane in Houston. They have all the parts for the old Galions, and know what you will need.

Boom-up-Bob

Yep, that where it leaks, drips on the boot and keep the leather water proofed. Still wondering why it builds so much back pressure? I take it they would have a parts manual as well?

BobCatBob

I’ve had the same issue since day one. It is slow (and I’ve had both internal boom cylinders rebuilt, new Brass guides, slide bearings). I believe it has something to do with the fluid volume…..just not designed for “quick” movement.

Contractors out of Houston is the way to go….they have everything!

Bob

Boom-up-Bob

Yes I serviced the boom, hoist brake as it was slipping at 50% of load. Now it holds 110% with no slip. When i go to retract second second it moves slow and sounds like its building pressure on the line like it was at the end of the piston stroke. I sent a email to the company you suggested for a parts manual. Thanks for the recommendation.

Boom-up-Bob

2&3 retract at about 1/4 to1/3 of the speed of the big section.
Fully aware
Retract and extend are slow on 2-3. Way slower than the big section.

Is the leak on your valve right at the dash lever in the cab? That's where they usually leak. I get my parts from Contractors Crane in Houston. They have all the parts for the old Galions, and know what you will need.

appreciated the referral. yep the third valve in Rear left stabilizer, blows oil out through rubber boot, when I activate the swing in any direction.

Watsy2020

Kudos for fixing up an old 150A. Odd machine, built well, but some parts are a PITA to work on, and one needs to be an octopus to work all the levers. Back in the day a favorite rig for millwrights and plant workers because they have a small boom tip head compared to other hydrocranes.

Does it have a Detroit or an International gasser?
Anyone have any info on the swing? I have a 150A and everything works but swing. Swing brake seems to release but no swingy. ‍♂️

crane operator

The swing brake is just a drum similar to the winch brake. The release arm can be moving but the drum can have the shoes stuck to it.

I would pull the drum, because then you can also see if it’s trying to turn the gear for swing. It could have something broken in the swing drive.

If it’s freezing, you can also have moisture get into the cable control lever, and the lever will move a little bit, but not enough to make the function work. Mine likes to freeze one winch lever.

BobCatBob

I’d check the drive housing for oil. To Crane Operators point…..if it’s cold, any water will lock her up. I pulled the drain plug on the drive housing (just behind the Cab, on the bottom of housing)…..and at least 2 quarts of water came out! Fill it back up to the fill plug (on side of housing)…this might be the issue.

Bob