• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Galion 150 Refurbish

BobCatBob

Hmmm....bad picture.....here’s a few more (note the picture I showed my wife....”Crane has many purposes”

4u_Xj5O2pF.jpeg

vIFx6RWVYr.jpeg

Agor~dMqu9.jpeg

BobCatBob

Hi TD!

Yes, it’s a Ford Industrial 300. They’re tanks! It’s just like the Ford F100-F150 engine of yesteryear, but it’s all forged inside, thicker casting, heavier piston rings, etc. It needed a new water pump....quote was $800 for an OEM! Holy jumpin jimminy....that’s a lot for a water pump (went with the non industrial for $50). Hooked to a C-6 transmission...these machines are beasts!

gHDl2FYsPV.jpeg

GFC6Q4SZMX.jpeg

iiM4bF6sJF.jpeg

BobCatBob

Took day off.....and by chance, this pulled up!

8EA676F6-AE82-4CCB-ABC5-1E1DB5DF8917.jpeg

They’re installing a “Pergala” in my neighbors back yard. Operator was really cool....I think he could tell I’m an “enthusiast” after sharing pics of the Galion.

Oh.....got Old Glory up for the 4th.....built a 20ft jib to hold the 10x15 flag.
DB334CC3-FC8A-4314-80F5-C6A2770F5980.jpeg

Having fun!

Bob

Attachments

• 68594252-860F-4374-8B54-394DD57B5DB7.jpeg
    68594252-860F-4374-8B54-394DD57B5DB7.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 76
  • B08AC264-994E-417A-B50B-431DEFD5D7F1.jpeg
    B08AC264-994E-417A-B50B-431DEFD5D7F1.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 75

Al S

I just started work on a Galion 125. Thanks for the inspiring work. I would have probably given up if I hadnt come across your post. Al

BobCatBob

Had a doozy with a Gleason Reel letting go! I was booming in sections 3&4.....Didn’t notice the Gleason Reel let go.....about 1/2 of both hoses got caught up in the boom.....made a real mess! I was able to install a new reel, new hose.......but still a “leak”. Upon inspection on the back side of the boom, the relief valve (or release valve) had opened! It’s a little brass thumb fitting that you can open if sections 3&4 get stuck out.....and with the hose getting caught up....it had unscrewed the valve. Got lucky.....thought the manifold had blown an o-ring....or worse yet, a cylinder had blown a seal.
H6Y1L3g
script>

H6Y1L3g.jpg

script>

Last edited:

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Something change with downloading images? Imgur not accepted?
Not sure about "Imgur" but when I want to post pictures I just click on the "Upload a File" blue button below the box I'm typing this message in. If you want to post more than one I believe all you have to do is hold down the "CTL" key and keep selecting the different files for the pictures. You can then select to post as fullsized and go back to the typing and put text above or below each one.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Thank you kshansen! So much easier than finding a host for pictures!

Bob
No problem like to see the pictures.

Never saw a sheave like that before the tapered one. I'm sure there is a reason for it being that way. Actually not sure what that orange thing is it is on! Most of my work experience was on front end loaders, haul trucks and Mack ten-wheelers and only the odd crane hear and there, Oh almost for got the skid-steers!

crane operator

No problem like to see the pictures.

Never saw a sheave like that before the tapered one. I'm sure there is a reason for it being that way. Actually not sure what that orange thing is it is on! Most of my work experience was on front end loaders, haul trucks and Mack ten-wheelers and only the odd crane hear and there, Oh almost for got the skid-steers!

The orange can has a big flat spring in it. It keeps tension on the extend and retract hoses, for the tip and mid sections of the boom telescope cylinder. As the boom extends, the hoses go out into the boom section, as the boom retracts, the spring pulls the hoses back on the outside of the boom.

They don't just give those spring cans away either. I think it was around $3-4,000 by the time i bought the spring can and the hoses. The hoses are actually a special hose also- can't just use regular hyd. hose. Its some kind of synflex hose.

BobCatBob

The orange can has a big flat spring in it. It keeps tension on the extend and retract hoses, for the tip and mid sections of the boom telescope cylinder. As the boom extends, the hoses go out into the boom section, as the boom retracts, the spring pulls the hoses back on the outside of the boom.

They don't just give those spring cans away either. I think it was around $3-4,000 by the time i bought the spring can and the hoses. The hoses are actually a special hose also- can't just use regular hyd. hose. Its some kind of synflex hose.

Hi Crane Op

Exactly! It’s a few bucks and some sweat to replace. The hardest part is getting the hose around the rear slave pulley (getting the hose fittings through the keepers on the pulley....very hard not to kink the hose).....then lining up the fittings to the manifold connections. I’ve done it twice now......officially a “boom hose” mechanic!

Having fun!

Bob

BobCatBob

Davo727.....glad to hear! Create a thread for us all to follow along.

After my Gleason Real failure, put her all back together....and gave her a bath. With hydraulic fluid coating the machine , I went with Dawn soap, scrub brush and a hot pressure wash. I figured if they used Dawn post Exxon Valdez, it’ll work on my “spill”.

Attachments

• E6AA5AAE-BEC2-4B45-BD2C-6EBBAD20AE03.jpeg
    E6AA5AAE-BEC2-4B45-BD2C-6EBBAD20AE03.jpeg
    117.4 KB · Views: 23