• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Fuel Prices!!!!!

kamerad47

Looks like I will be charging more for my equipment do to rising fuel cost !! I can't keep eat the cost of fuel , regular gas has jumped from $1.43 to $1.83 & diesel $1.40 to $1.65 in 3 weeks!!!! What do you think????? :Banghead

cat320

Charter Member
We are at over $2.00 a gal for reg. unleaded and diesel is getting up there to but I see an ad for home heating for $1.19 gal.

kamerad47

Are you charge more or eating that cost ???? If you are how long do you ley it go???? If someone calls do you ride around giving bids or estimates or are you more selective on the jobs??? Lets face it aside from insurance fuel is you biggest expense!!!:usa

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
In my business, fuel is only a small percentage of my expenses. Yes, fuel prices have risen, but looking at it mathematically you would need to raise you rate by about $1.20 per hour to recoup the increase if you are burning 2 gallons per hour as my machine does.

cat320

Charter Member
Well like every thing else as the price of fuel/gas goes up so is it reflected in the price even if it is $1-2 more an hour. some one has to pay for the increase.I know that most co. raise the price every time there is a gas increase wheather it's $1 a mile,yard,foot or hour it's being added and if you don't increase what ever how small it is your loosing some of your profit even if it's a only $5 it's still $5 .

huffmanmb

Occupation
IUOE Apprentice Equipment Operator
Hwy Diesel and Reg Unl running around $2.30 on the Oly Peninsula here in washington state. Off highway diesel anywhere from 1.56 to 2.03 a gallon. Isnt it great...:mad:

glsahl

Charter Member
Occupation
equip.mngr/mechanic
Gas has been over $2.10 for some time,here.Off road diesel is closing the gap,fast.So far our bidder hasn't adjusted our bids to match,but,I don't see how that can last.
It's probably painfully apparent,but to those using rental equipment,watch the tanks on equipment you send back!
I found some of our rental outfits tacking on more than 50% per gallon.Having our own fuel truck helps,when I can get the supers,and foreman to let me know they're ready to send a piece back.

DennisJonesCon.

Occupation
All construction
Kind of Ironic that we buy all that cheap Chinese junk so we can have more things laying around.......Now we pay more for fuel because China needs more fuel to supply us with cheap junk. Supply and demand. Would someone haul my toys to Alaska.....I want to clear that pristine land and help do my part to get oil from up there.

triaxle

Occupation
CEO Mid-sized Grading Company
China is an oil producing member of Sinopec.
China produces high tech products and low end labor.
China is the largest potential market for US products worldwide.
The US national debt to China is 177 Billion.
Over 250,000 Chinese were tortured and killed by Japanese for helping Doolittles Raiders escape after Doolittles Raiders bombed Japan.
China produced a population that is four times our population in several thousand years. China has a near zero population growth so sometime in the next 17 years, we will have more population than they do.
China has 1/20 the heart disease we do.
The Chinese are not the boogeyman, China is different than you have been told.
( yes, I have been there.)

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
...so sometime in the next 17 years, we will have more population than they do.

That's the only part of your post that I have a hard time believing. I thought there were a whole lot more of them than there are of us...

Also, I've heard that the high price of steel and portland cement these days are due to recent rises in Chinese consumption.

Last edited:

triaxle

Occupation
CEO Mid-sized Grading Company
You are correct in saying China is currently affecting steel and concrete prices.
The Three Rivers Hydro Project is currently the largest construction project on earth. It is normal that the material demands of the worlds largest project affect the supply of materials. Other mega projects like the Big Dig the and the Chunnel affected the materials market when they were in progress.

As far as I know, including Alaska, China and the US are very close in square miles. More of China is habitable. I think the population of China is 4 times the US but our pop growth is sobering.

So I am not trying to start a China crusade ( that's why I logged on to a heavy equipment forum, not a political site) but some research on this subject is worth the time.

I believe alternate fuel research and development of alternative fuels will do the US far more good than worrying about China, which is a great place to dine, vacation, shop, gamble( Macao is like Vegas), or sightsee.
Thanx
regardz