• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Frozen Pins

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
I'm not familiar with Metabo. Where do they sell those?

Wulf

Hell Hotsacks... don't buy new grinder... go buy a digital camera and post a picture of the pin thats been stuck for almost two weeks :rolleyes:

Casetractorman

Occupation
Manager .. Monroe Tractor and Implement Co. Inc.
I had some major issues removing some pins from my Case 9030B .. tried all of the above and it moved 1/2 Inch .. Heat. cold, Presses, torches, hand mauls, and sledge hammers .. I put 30 + man hours into trying to get it out ... I ended up using a skidsteer mounted jackhammer .. the pin was out in less than 10 seconds .. Live and learn .. good luck

jmac

I had some major issues removing some pins from my Case 9030B .. tried all of the above and it moved 1/2 Inch .. Heat. cold, Presses, torches, hand mauls, and sledge hammers .. I put 30 + man hours into trying to get it out ... I ended up using a skidsteer mounted jackhammer .. the pin was out in less than 10 seconds .. Live and learn .. good luck

If this is not an example of "try a bigger hammer" I don't know what is.:bash
Great:notworthy

ADMSWELDING

Occupation
CERTIFIED WELDER/UNION SHEETMETAL WORKER LOCAL 17
i use them they r great not cheep but seem to hold up to me and i get them at my welding shop u can do a net search
i belive they r german

German they are.The best they also are for power and dependabilty.:thumbsup Cheap they are not, But as they say you get what you pay for.

Deere John

Occupation
Professional Forester
I gotta say thanks for this thread. I have been reading it for, oh, about a month now, and I am amazed it is still going and the pin is still putting up a valiant fight. Someone mentioned way back on page 2 or 3 (eons ago) to nip the pins off with a Stihl quick cut - that's about 20 minutes, including mixing the gas. Then, take the cylinder with the chunk stuck in it to your local 50 ton press, let him work his magic, and carry on - about another 45 minutes, including the time needed to tell the press operator this the whole agonizing story.

I hope my humour is coming through - sometimes we can take a 1 hour job and turn it into a paycheque.

John from North Bay, Ontario

Wulf

I gotta say thanks for this thread. I have been reading it for, oh, about a month now, and I am amazed it is still going and the pin is still putting up a valiant fight. Someone mentioned way back on page 2 or 3 (eons ago) to nip the pins off with a Stihl quick cut - that's about 20 minutes, including mixing the gas. Then, take the cylinder with the chunk stuck in it to your local 50 ton press, let him work his magic, and carry on - about another 45 minutes, including the time needed to tell the press operator this the whole agonizing story.

I hope my humour is coming through - sometimes we can take a 1 hour job and turn it into a paycheque.

John from North Bay, Ontario

Jeepers John... no time for humour when it comes to leaky cylinders with seized pins! think of the machine downtime and the additional operating cost per hour!
I think aways back in the thread the local welder was going to charge 300 bucks to gas the pin out... :)

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
Remove the retainer and park the machine over a big mud pit and the pin will fall out and you will never find it.
Still not to late to let the welder remove it but it may cost a bit more because of the owners help.

wh22366

Occupation
telecom engineer
stuck pins

You've probably solved your pin problem by now but here's what worked for me a few months back. My Cat's outboard stabilizer pins we both frozen in the stabilizer castings and I could see where one had been replaced in the past - some of the casting material was torched out. The solution is (like some of the fellas said) a big rosebud tip and plenty of HEAT and MORE HEAT! I heated the casting parallel to the pins, not the pins. Since I'd pretty well ruined the old pins trying to bang them out cold, I replaced them both.

glsahl

Charter Member
Occupation
equip.mngr/mechanic
no question about it,stabilizer pins suck.i've delt with this same problem on case,cat,jd,and now new holland.i bought a o2 lance from cat 6 years ago,a $300 tax return present to myself,best money i've spent in years.
my advice is use a cutoff saw,leaves you less pin to torch.
2nd piece of advive,take the time to drill and tap for grease fittings,and use them.

Deere John

Occupation
Professional Forester
I haven't heard about these pins all year now. They probably stressed themselves out trying to figure out what type of weather the machine will be working in the next day.

Isn't this weather this year a wonder? It is the 7th of January, and we usually have 30 below at this time, with 2-3 feet of snow on the lawn. Today, it was (again) just freezing, and our lawn is bare.

I'm not wearing out much cutting edge plowing snow this winter. I love contracts.

jboettcher

Frozen Pin

I guess I'll add my two cents in. Learned this aboard ship in boiler room. Had two men with butterfly tips heating shaft. When it was red to the point of shining, third man hit it with a fire extinguisher. The fourth man then hit it with the B.F.H. Works everytime. If you were not in the navy and don't know what a B.F.H. is sorry, I can't tell you on this post.

Myassitis

Wulf

I guess I'll add my two cents in. Learned this aboard ship in boiler room. Had two men with butterfly tips heating shaft. When it was red to the point of shining, third man hit it with a fire extinguisher. The fourth man then hit it with the B.F.H. Works everytime. If you were not in the navy and don't know what a B.F.H. is sorry, I can't tell you on this post

Was the BFH 14 lb or 28lb?

Truckie

I had the same problem with our grapple 2 years ago. The grapple broke at one of the welds, so we had to get it off the machine to ship it back to the Mfg. We spent a day and half in the freezing cold beating that thing out. :crying :crying
The operator kept it well greased and I do mean well greased, but it fought us every inch of the way. Started out with B F H then had to got G D B M F H 22lbs:bash the biggest I could find in the area. We hammered :bash the pin about a 1/4 to 3/8 of the way out and it stopped dead. We hammered on it so much from the one side the pin actually broke in half. We then tried going the other direction, no luck then switched back again . Finally it came down to calling the road service guy to come and get it out. He spent half a day working it. Had to lance it out.
We got our grapple fixed and had it back in a week.
Just this past summer we had a new operator in it who keeps it well greased and works the hell out it. Out of a 10 hour day he uses it 9 and 1/2 hours a day. Well the bushings wore out and we had to shim it. The operator positioned it on the ground and took the slack out by razing the boom up and I gave it a few good whacks with B M F H :bash :bash and the pin came out like melted butter. Shimmed it up and put it back together all in 45 minutes. Went together the same way. Thank God.:thumbsup

cgraham

Another Fine Mess

Hi, I'm new here (and to mechanized equipment) and found this a very helpful thread.

I have the same problem as the OP, except the pivot pin is frozen to the sleeve of the stabilizer where it attaches to the backhoe frame, so I can't remove the assembly to work on it. No hydraulics or grease seals are involved.

The clearance between the lugs that the pin passes through is only about 1/8", which would only allow cutting the pin with a Sawzall I suppose; that might work, as the pin seems fairly soft.

I found just a 3 1/2 lb hammer would easily mushroom the end of the pin, and I had to chamfer it with a file, so I'm hesitant to attack it with a sledge; I may do so, depending on the advice I get here, as I don't have any other appropriate tools.

I have been applying Kano Kroil 3 x/day for over a week to the pin where it enters the sleeve (which appears to be a cast part), but it is hard to know how much of it has penetrated, as most drips off.

The pin is 5 1/2" long and 2.5 cm dia: Is this too long to lance with a torch?

I could cut the pin with a Sawzall I think, as it is fairly soft, then take the assembly to a shop that has a press.

Your thoughts, please?

Charlie

Attachments

• IMG_7345s.jpg
    IMG_7345s.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 538

dumptrucker

Take a torch and heat the sleeve around the pin, you have to be carefull not to heat it to much or the pin will expand too. If you heat it enough without the pin getting to hot too the sleeve should expand enough so that you can drive the pin out. Use a smaller pin to put against the pin you are going to drive out and hit that pin with the sledge , this will minimize the mushrooming of the pin. If you get the pin too hot too then take a spray bottle of water and spray on the pin to cool it a little bit , this usually will break the bond of the pin. You might have to heat and cool several times to get it to break free.
Hope this helps.

Ray Welsh

Banned
Take a torch and heat the sleeve around the pin, you have to be carefull not to heat it to much or the pin will expand too. If you heat it enough without the pin getting to hot too the sleeve should expand enough so that you can drive the pin out. Use a smaller pin to put against the pin you are going to drive out and hit that pin with the sledge , this will minimize the mushrooming of the pin. If you get the pin too hot too then take a spray bottle of water and spray on the pin to cool it a little bit , this usually will break the bond of the pin. You might have to heat and cool several times to get it to break free.
Hope this helps.

If the pin is still there, all of the above would have rendered it useless for re-use. I'd go hire an Arc-air with a good operator and blow the pin apart from the middle and use cooling spray/liquid to protect other components. Do this from each side until the pin looks like a hollow shell. Squirt some coolant through the hole to shrink then hammer it gently using a socket for a drift.
I used this years ago and it worked back then........C ya..........Ray