• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ford vs. a Dodge...... (Gooseneck Tow Vehicle)

barnbuilder

Ford gets the death wobble also. In 15 Ford put larger injectors and turbo in the 6.7. The cab & chassis trucks don't have the power of the pickups. I have a 99 f350 and purchased a new 15 last April. The 15 is a cadilac and it has spoiled me!

Truck Shop

For me it's not how fast it is up hill, but rather it got to the bottom in one piece with out killing anyone. It's hard to beat 16x7 or 12x7 shoes, with
a maxi-can and real parking brakes, air. To many toy haulers that are trying to be Samson. IMO

Truck Shop

RobertJ

I haven't seen this mentioned yet here so I just want to point out that in the 450/550 truck Ford does not have an exhaust brake from the factory like the Ram 4500/5500. At work we have a 2015 F450 that is constantly hooked to a 25+5 trailer with anywhere between 4-8 tons on it, it has about 40000 miles on it right now and is going in for its third set of brakes next week.

lantraxco

For me it's not how fast it is up hill, but rather it got to the bottom in one piece with out killing anyone. It's hard to beat 16x7 or 12x7 shoes, with
a maxi-can and real parking brakes, air. To many toy haulers that are trying to be Samson. IMO

Truck Shop

Yep, but they still put those runaway ramps on the long downgrades don't they? You can find a way to get in trouble no matter what you tow with, and yes that is the voice of surviving the experience :rolleyes:

Truck Shop

Yep, but they still put those runaway ramps on the long downgrades don't they? You can find a way to get in trouble no matter what you tow with, and yes that is the voice of surviving the experience :rolleyes:

You know where Oakridge is, I know about trouble on grades. highway 58. I use to run over Stevens 3 times a week.

Truck Shop

lantraxco

Yup.. been there a couple times. In a former life I drove dump truck and transfer for a while, long haul sand truck, lol. 100K gross, used to say a prayer for Saint Jacob coming off Cabbage at 22mph. Seven axles, but still wouldn't want to be counting on just the air brakes.

Truck Shop

Yup.. been there a couple times. In a former life I drove dump truck and transfer for a while, long haul sand truck, lol. 100K gross, used to say a prayer for Saint Jacob coming off Cabbage at 22mph. Seven axles, but still wouldn't want to be counting on just the air brakes.

Your right jakes are nice and now days more reliable. One or two of our trucks are gliding off Cabbage every hour at 100K gross. The series 60's run
about 35 to 40 mph on the jakes and lay into the brakes three times. The DD15's have the best jake on the market bar none. Our drivers with the
trucks that have DD15's can cruise at 45 to 50 mph going down Cabbage and only brake for two corners. The shoes last way longer with DD's.
And for those folks that have not been down Cabbage it's 5 miles of steady 6%. The old road was a dilly, rode down that in a cattle truck in 1966.
I was ten years old then.

chevota84

Your right jakes are nice and now days more reliable. One or two of our trucks are gliding off Cabbage every hour at 100K gross. The series 60's run
about 35 to 40 mph on the jakes and lay into the brakes three times. The DD15's have the best jake on the market bar none. Our drivers with the
trucks that have DD15's can cruise at 45 to 50 mph going down Cabbage and only brake for two corners. The shoes last way longer with DD's.
And for those folks that have not been down Cabbage it's 5 miles of steady 6%. The old road was a dilly, rode down that in a cattle truck in 1966.
I was ten years old then.
What trucks are those?

lantraxco

Cool... I was running a 3406B back then, the other trucks were typically newer 3406's or Series 60. The transfer trailers being double jointed and heavy to the back, they liked to push kinks in the corners so we never really pushed it speedwise.

Followed a set of triples off that one night, the rear trailer brake drums were brighter red than his brake lights. He offered to try and straighten it up so I could pass, but I politely declined, explaining that I would prefer to be behind and above him if he lost what was left of his brakes. He made it down to the flat, taking everything from gravel to gravel in the corners, and pulled over to let things cool, one or more of the trailers was locked up solid. Said there was no fire and he was gonna pull the pin and bobtail into town, so I saluted and carried on. The things you see.

chevota84

Cool... I was running a 3406B back then, the other trucks were typically newer 3406's or Series 60. The transfer trailers being double jointed and heavy to the back, they liked to push kinks in the corners so we never really pushed it speedwise.

Followed a set of triples off that one night, the rear trailer brake drums were brighter red than his brake lights. He offered to try and straighten it up so I could pass, but I politely declined, explaining that I would prefer to be behind and above him if he lost what was left of his brakes. He made it down to the flat, taking everything from gravel to gravel in the corners, and pulled over to let things cool, one or more of the trailers was locked up solid. Said there was no fire and he was gonna pull the pin and bobtail into town, so I saluted and carried on. The things you see.
A couple months ago a guy made it almost to the top of the bottom run away ramp, I can't believe he made the corner.

Canuck Digger

Occupation
Business Owner, Equipment Operator, Fishing Guide
I haven't seen this mentioned yet here so I just want to point out that in the 450/550 truck Ford does not have an exhaust brake from the factory like the Ram 4500/5500. At work we have a 2015 F450 that is constantly hooked to a 25+5 trailer with anywhere between 4-8 tons on it, it has about 40000 miles on it right now and is going in for its third set of brakes next week.

Mhhhh did not kow that. Kinda assumed they would, especialy with an auto. I have an exhaust brake (PAC) on my 03 cummins 6spd, and it's absolutely awesome. It would be a must have for me. Thanks for that thought.

tnc110

Mhhhh did not kow that. Kinda assumed they would, especialy with an auto. I have an exhaust brake (PAC) on my 03 cummins 6spd, and it's absolutely awesome. It would be a must have for me. Thanks for that thought.

I didn't know that either...that's ridiculous!

Dodge is the only truck that you can get a manual transmission in anymore. Although these new transmissions, in all makes are pretty awesome, they DO NOT Stop as well as a manual...as soon as the torque converter unlocks the exhaust brake (if equipped) disengages. You mentioned that stopping was important to you. I have an auto in my play truck and love it...but WOULD NOT/do not have one in my work rig. One other thing to consider, you can get an actual jake brake for a dodge, I'm not talking about an exhaust brake, but a compression release like used in big rigs. If you have ever driven a class 8 with a jake vs an exhaust brake, you know there is no comparison.

Who is the number one/most desirable class 8 truck??? Peterbilt. Go to the Pete store and order a new Pete and ask them what engines they use...hint, it won't be a Intertrashional/Ford platform!!!!

chevota84

I didn't know that either...that's ridiculous!

Dodge is the only truck that you can get a manual transmission in anymore. Although these new transmissions, in all makes are pretty awesome, they DO NOT Stop as well as a manual...as soon as the torque converter unlocks the exhaust brake (if equipped) disengages. You mentioned that stopping was important to you. I have an auto in my play truck and love it...but WOULD NOT/do not have one in my work rig. One other thing to consider, you can get an actual jake brake for a dodge, I'm not talking about an exhaust brake, but a compression release like used in big rigs. If you have ever driven a class 8 with a jake vs an exhaust brake, you know there is no comparison.

Who is the number one/most desirable class 8 truck??? Peterbilt. Go to the Pete store and order a new Pete and ask them what engines they use...hint, it won't be a Intertrashional/Ford platform!!!!
There's a pac brake setup that holds the exhaust valves open but it doesn't work like a real Jacobs brake, it needs to have a regular pac brake in the exhaust to work. Also, I don't think I'd use the isx as an example of how great cummins engines are, I haven't seen very many make it out of warranty without a piston coming out the side or the crank getting tangled up in the front axle. And International has nothing to do with the 6.7 powerstroke.

tnc110

There's a pac brake setup that holds the exhaust valves open but it doesn't work like a real Jacobs brake, it needs to have a regular pac brake in the exhaust to work. Also, I don't think I'd use the isx as an example of how great cummins engines are, I haven't seen very many make it out of warranty without a piston coming out the side or the crank getting tangled up in the front axle. And International has nothing to do with the 6.7 powerstroke.

Really??? It is the same exact principle. In fact this pac brake system provides more braking HP/CI than the early Jacobs systems... What is your point? Fact is the dodge E-brakes are more effective than Ford. PLUS you can add an additional 150 braking hp on top of the E-brake with the Pacbrake load leash system...I don't believe there is anything available for the Ford is there???

And you are right about the ISX...they are blown up everywhere, Peterbilt is about to go out of business....the interstates are shut down because of oil and engine parts scattered from one end to another. Truth is everything is going to crap with all the new regulations....BUT Cummins is the best option at this time.

I've got Cat in all my big trucks and love them, but Cat didn't want to play the emissions game any longer, so now we have to use the next best thing, which currently is Cummins.

chevota84

It isn't the exact same principle, a Jacobs brake releases compression at near tdc and releases any return energy out of the cylinder. The load leash opens the exhaust valves to let more air hit the pac brake to create more back pressure. You do understand that paccar (peterbilt/kenworth) doesn't own cummins, right? You can get them with the paccar motor as well, which, after some teething problems has been more reliable than cummins. Detroit probably has the most trouble free engine in a class 8 truck right now.

tnc110

Principle defined as: a general scientific theorem or law that has numerous special applications across a wide field.

Same principle.

Jake brakes do not open just at tdc...or atleast not any that I have. The isx has a special cam to help jake braking...but that's a whole nother can if worms.

Fight it all you want, but the load leash is the same principle as a jake on a 3406 etc. They both release compression by opening the exhaust valve. ...same principle....