• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ford Louisville Model Designations

lars

Could someone please explain the Louisville's for me? Truck paper has 7000's, 8000's and 9000's in L, LN, LS LT, LNT, LTL, and LTS designations. I imagine it has to do with cab sizes and axle spacings but what are they? Also, what were the engine and tranny options for 7000's, 8000's and 9000's?

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
The L stands for Louisville the L series cab is the standard one it is usually the truck with diesel power and has a medium sized hood. The LT has a larger hood and inside the cab has a smaller dog house. The LTL is the Ford with the quad head lights it has the largest and heaviest hood Ford ever put on a Louisville.

The most common models is the L and LT the LTL was used for highway trucks.

The Model numbers is the rating of the truck the 7000s are usually single axle trucks and the 9000 series is single and tandem axle trucks.

Usually with the tandem axle trucks the 8000s are the lighter trucks they have smaller engines and lighter axles. The 9000s have the bigger engines heavier axles etc.

A person can fill a couple pages on the Louisville designations. Ask some more defined questions on what size of truck you are looking at and what you want to do with it.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
L-600, 700, 800 and 900 had gas engines. The L-7000, 8000 and 9000 all are diesels. The first number is the truck series classification, the 7000 or 700 being a class 7 truck, the 800, 8000, 900 and 9000 are class 8 trucks. The higher the number the higher the weight capacity. I don't know the breakdown as far as weight ratings go but it shouldn't be too hard to find.

The L series are single axle trucks, the LT series are tandem axles, the LTS is a tandem with setback front axle and the LTL is a tandem with the long hood. The LTL was the top of the line model in this series. LN or LNT series had a higher trim level than the standard L.

The 7000 and 8000 series had either Cat 3208s or Ford in line 6 diesels in them, the 9000 series had major diesel manufacturer engines in them, a selection of Cummins, Cat or Detroit.

lars

Thanks Steve and LT. That was the info I was looking for. So does LT mean tandem or long cab? From what I have found, do the 7000's and 8000's have the shorter cab and the 9000's have the longer cab? That seems right to me as bigger engine should equal bigger hood.

So I have:

L, LN: Single, forward axle
LS: Single, set-back axle
LT, LNT, LTL, Tandem, forward axle
LTS, LTA, LTLS, Tandem, set-back axle

7000, 8000 - Short hood
9000 - Long hood
LTL 9000 - longest hood

Lashlander

So I have:
L, LN: Single, forward axle
LS: Single, set-back axle
LT, LNT, LTL, Tandem, forward axle
LTS, LTA, LTLS, Tandem, set-back axle
7000, 8000 - Short hood
9000 - Long hood
LTL 9000 - longest hood

Whoa! I think I'm dizzy and need to lay down now! :dizzy

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
You mainly find LT Fords as tandems and 8000 or 9000 they have a longer hood. When you have a 9000 with 3406 or 400 Cummins power a regular L series half the engine is under the cab with a large dog house in the cab. The LT Fords the engine is more forward and inside the cab there is a less of a dog house.

If you put a L and a LT side by side you will beable to tell that the L has a shorter hood.

If I was looking at a tandem axle Ford it would be a L-9000 or a LT-9000 with 3406 Cat or 400 or N-14 Cummins power.

The L-8000 tandems are a little too light they are good for guys that haul topsoil etc.

The L desiginations are the BBC which stands for Bumper to Back of Cab with the L being the shortest and the LTL the longest.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
The "T" in the designation means tandem axle, it has nothing to do with the hood length. The second "L" means the long hood and the "S" designates the setback axle.

The LTA was the "Aeromax" which are the later versions of the setback axle.