• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ford F550 vs 5500 options

Greasyfitting

Happy Friday everyone, I was looking to get some options , and insight on the different brands of 5500 class trucks out there specifically for field service trucks. I wanted to hear which brand was mechanic friendly when working on , best ride , common issues , things to expect , and expected truck lifespans. Any comments are appreciated!

cfherrman

Don't know much about Chevys. Dodge cabs have been junk for a ling time but people still get good use out of them.

Reliably is probably about the same across the board with the Cummins a bit easier to do things on because it's a i6. I'm a Cummins fan boy but I hate the b series engines in dodges because they are loud vibrating engines while the v8s are super quiet and smooth at all rpm.

The only real difference I know about is a Ford 4wd can't have a big hydraulic pro while Dodge can. I'm pretty sure dodge still have the 4wd hubs full locked on while Ford still uses locking hubs. You will get failures in dodge 4wd systems because of this from driveshafts failing. It gets expensive real quick.

Greasyfitting

Don't know much about Chevys. Dodge cabs have been junk for a ling time but people still get good use out of them.

Reliably is probably about the same across the board with the Cummins a bit easier to do things on because it's a i6. I'm a Cummins fan boy but I hate the b series engines in dodges because they are loud vibrating engines while the v8s are super quiet and smooth at all rpm.

The only real difference I know about is a Ford 4wd can't have a big hydraulic pro while Dodge can. I'm pretty sure dodge still have the 4wd hubs full locked on while Ford still uses locking hubs. You will get failures in dodge 4wd systems because of this from driveshafts failing. It gets expensive real quick.
How bad are dodges on turbochargers ? We have a mechanic truck and pipe crew truck at my job turbo went out on the mechanic truck at 146k , turbo on pipe crew truck at 87k miles ruin the dpf also. I stay up on our services. The turbo on a f550 is not a fun job. Are the 6.7 Cummins bad with engine issues and emissions or about the same with the 6.7 powerstroke ?

crewchief888

my newest truck is a '21 F600 4x4 std cab with a 6.7. so far, 51K miles, it's been good,
had brakes replaced all around at 40K +/- and an EGT sensor replaced around the same time.
truck tips the scales at 19.5 K lbs averages 10- 10 1/2 mpg.
last truck was a '15 chevy gasser we got rid of it at 205K miles.
all others were F450/550's i ran most of them out to 180K +/- miles before they were replaced.

Attachments

• 20220329_145820.jpg
    20220329_145820.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 12

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
GF are you looking at new or used?

Greasyfitting

my newest truck is a '21 F600 4x4 std cab with a 6.7. so far, 51K miles, it's been good,
had brakes replaced all around at 40K +/- and an EGT sensor replaced around the same time.
truck tips the scales at 19.5 K lbs averages 10- 10 1/2 mpg.
last truck was a '15 chevy gasser we got rid of it at 205K miles.
all others were F450/550's i ran most of them out to 180K +/- miles before they were replaced.
I thought that was mistyped I didn't know Ford made f600 again crazy.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Just wanting to get some opinions and real experiences from guys running the 5500 style service trucks.

Not running 550 size trucks but I can give some intel from running 350 SRW and DRW trucks with daily GVR's of 10k and regularly pulling 10-15K. We've had good service out of 3 Ford 6.7's and 1 Cummins 6.7 up to 200K miles FWIW.

2013 350 SRW 6.7 has around 200K on the clock and we've replaced the trans which is a known Ford weakness. 6.7 has been very reliable.

2018 350 SRW traded at 75K miles with no issues. 10K every day GVW with 10-15K regular towing.

2022 350 SRW with 25K on the clock 10K everyday GVW with 10-15k regular towing

2019 RAM 3500 6.7 with 80K on the clock 11k everyday GVW with 10-15K regular towing with no issues.

Not the same trucks but what we've experienced.

cfherrman

On the dodge turbos, I would say it's going to be the same as a Ford because they are basically the same technology. It's probably easier to change a turbo on a Dodge because of the i6. Make your turbo last by using the fart button and don't drive like a grandma. After towing hot let the engine cool down for z but before you shut it off.

I find most things that break on newer trucks either to be suspension related because trucks are smaller now (3/4 tons) are because people don't take care of them and straight up just don't care.

I'm really surprised someone said the trans was a common issue on the Ford, ever since the torque shift came out in 03 it's been a hell of a trans that's hard to brake with small exceptions in 08-10 due to a tuned 6.4 had way to much power for it.

I wish I saw more Ford 550's but because of the PTO I only see dodges anymore, people seem to have good luck with them now. The company I worked at had 3 3500's of 12 vintage and they are terrible, problems with def and transmissions. They went back to Ford after.

Not letting your engine idle for longer than 5 minutes does wonders and if you have to idle it setting a high idle also does wonders

Honestly either way you will be fine, you just have to do your part. I'm a Ford guy because of my dad so that's what I get. (05-07 is what I buy only lol)

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
I find most things that break on newer trucks either to be suspension related because trucks are smaller now (3/4 tons) are because people don't take care of them and straight up just don't care.

I'm really surprised someone said the trans was a common issue on the Ford, ever since the torque shift came out in 03 it's been a hell of a trans that's hard to brake with small exceptions in 08-10 due to a tuned 6.4 had way to much power for it.

Never broke any suspension components on any of the dozen or so Superduties or the 1 RAM over the years.

Replaced the transmission in our '01 F250 7.3 and '13 F350 6.7. When I sold a '14 F250 6.2 gasser it needed a new trans. The trans failures all happened around 200K miles.

YMMV and MMMV.

cfherrman

The trans in the 7.3 is not like the torque shifts, and the other two trans are probably not comparable since they 10 years older and have half as many gears as the new ones have (I think).

Did you follow the owners manual on trans maintenance? Filter changes and fluid flushes? Do you reverse and put it in drive while still rolling backwards? We're your engines tuned? Trans failures are often not because of the transmission especially 03+ with Ford super duties.

3/4 tons 17 and newer are very light trucks and expect your suspension to last only 40-70k miles while to compare I'm still on factory with 271k in my 06. I'm not how sure how much 550s got cheaped up in comparison, but I imagine they have.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Did you follow the owners manual on trans maintenance? Filter changes and fluid flushes? Do you reverse and put it in drive while still rolling backwards? We're your engines tuned? Trans failures are often not because of the transmission especially 03+ with Ford super duties.

All stock and we know how to take care of our trucks and equipment. Been buying SD's since the first one special ordered in '99 and know how to drive them as well.

My friends that keep SD's and rack the miles up on them have all swapped the trans around 200-300K miles. Pretty common in my experience.

3/4 tons 17 and newer are very light trucks and expect your suspension to last only 40-70k miles while to compare I'm still on factory with 271k in my 06. I'm not how sure how much 550s got cheaped up in comparison, but I imagine they have.

Traded the '18 in with 70K+ on the clock and the suspension was as tight as when it was new. :cool:

barrelroll

Occupation
Mill Mechanic
If you are buying new I'd consider dealer support as much as the brand. Waiting 3 weeks just for your truck to get looked at for a simple sensor issue sending the thing into limp mode gets expensive.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I had the previous gen GMC 5500 CC 4x4. Loaded it rode well. Unloaded it was as rough a ride as I have ever had. I liked the truck and was going to replace it with the new gen GM 5500. Since the 3500's upped their load capacity I decided to go with a 3500 instead. IH and GM jointly built the latest gen 45-6500 trucks.

MG84

Maybe I'm out of touch, but I'd say 200k on an automatic without a rebuild is doing very good. I've got a 2019 F-250 reg cab 4x4, 6.2 gas and it's a great truck, but I don't have enough miles on it to speak to longevity. Last Dodge that I was involved with was my fathers 2010 3500 cab chassis with the 6.7 and 6spd and it was a piece of crap. Tire rod ends shot by 30K, new U-joints at 25K, new clutch at 30K, etc etc. Truck was rated to tow 18K and we never exceeded that, engine was great the rest of the truck was poor quality and didn't hold up. Currently he has a 2016 F-450 cab chassis with only 50K mi, this time the truck is great but the engine is crap. Many trips to the dealer for DPF problems (9 times under warranty), and eventually a turbo failure.

I'm of the mindset now, a man needs a 3/4 ton pickup to run around in and do light hauling/towing, anything more go straight to a class 6-7 truck. The F350-550 or 3500/5500 trucks are way over rated for what they are capable of and too expensive to operate IMO.

Tyler d4c

Maybe I'm out of touch, but I'd say 200k on an automatic without a rebuild is doing very good. I've got a 2019 F-250 reg cab 4x4, 6.2 gas and it's a great truck, but I don't have enough miles on it to speak to longevity. Last Dodge that I was involved with was my fathers 2010 3500 cab chassis with the 6.7 and 6spd and it was a piece of crap. Tire rod ends shot by 30K, new U-joints at 25K, new clutch at 30K, etc etc. Truck was rated to tow 18K and we never exceeded that, engine was great the rest of the truck was poor quality and didn't hold up. Currently he has a 2016 F-450 cab chassis with only 50K mi, this time the truck is great but the engine is crap. Many trips to the dealer for DPF problems (9 times under warranty), and eventually a turbo failure.

I'm of the mindset now, a man needs a 3/4 ton pickup to run around in and do light hauling/towing, anything more go straight to a class 6-7 truck. The F350-550 or 3500/5500 trucks are way over rated for what they are capable of and too expensive to operate IMO.
I'm with you there anything more then 10000 worth of trailer just get a real truck

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I spec'ced out a 2021 F600 at work. With the 22,000 GVW it carries an extra yard of material with each load than the 550. We do towing, hauling and plowing. 7.3 gas engine. No mechanical issues thus far but the truck does tend to wander a bit when empty. Dealer reports alignment to be within specs.