• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ford dump trucks?

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
how about fuel filters,
I thought the primer pump was located on the fuel transfer pump. Ive had tow of these engines, but I cant think if this was the case on your engine. Sometimes these engines has two fuel filters, one might be kinda hard to find, usually mounted kinda in the chassis area.
I would think if the primer pump works, the regular pump should work, but theres always a chance something else, might have happened. If your suction line is on the bottom of the tank, cut the valve off and remove the hose from the tank. Using a bucket, of course, open the valve and see if fuel comes out. Dirt, debris, rags will stop this up.
Last trace this fuel hose, to the engine, it should go through a filter first, if so take the filter off and blow the line out and continue toward the engine.
Fuel pumps do go out, but I always check other things first. Did you just change fuel filters? Ive had mechanics either install a gasket, without removing the old one and not installing a gasket at all.
There is a good thread going on about fuel filters half full, good info there that may help you.
Good Luck and keep us posted

aja458

i changed the fuel filters right off and replaced the water/fuel seperator filter

aja458

the fuel pickup is inside the tank-a tube from the top to bottom of tank.

Jim Dandy

I have a 79 9000 with a 400 big cam cummins. Overall I like the truck. It has 550,000 miles on it. It drives steady but is loud. It can be a little difficult to get parts for. The internationals probably have better parts availability. Be careful buying an old dump truck. They can wear you out money wise. If you drive it and the steering is real loose and feels sloopy I would stay away because you can spend some money on suspension issues. Also is your trailer air brakes or electric. If it is air, remember running air lines to the back of the truck can also be expensive. I like my truck but I wish I had spent a little more money and got a newer truck. Good luck.

Steve G.

COPPA
Occupation
Electrical
I have a 79 9000 with a 400 big cam cummins. Overall I like the truck. It has 550,000 miles on it. It drives steady but is loud. It can be a little difficult to get parts for. The internationals probably have better parts availability. Be careful buying an old dump truck. They can wear you out money wise. If you drive it and the steering is real loose and feels sloopy I would stay away because you can spend some money on suspension issues. Also is your trailer air brakes or electric. If it is air, remember running air lines to the back of the truck can also be expensive. I like my truck but I wish I had spent a little more money and got a newer truck. Good luck.

Dont have a trailer that big yet, what kind should I get?

Komatsu 150

Trim level is all, like an XL vs. XLT in the pickups.

An LT or LNT will be a tandem rear truck, an LS or LTS will have a set back front axle for a tighter turning radius.

The N signified the short nose version. Before the Louisville trucks they were just N for a single axle NT for the tandem and The F models were the long nose.

Jim Dandy

I would get an air brake trailer. I have a 20 ton eager beaver and am pleased with it. I was advised strongly to avoid the electric brake trailers. Also, I was told to avoid the 3 axle trailers as they had a tendency to have tires come off in tight turns. The econoline dual wheel trailers have thme inside tire on the other side of the frame and that can be a hassle to change. I am no expert so see what the others have to say. Great time to be buying a truck and trailer, be patient and you will probably get a great deal.

nedly05

Get an air brake, dual wheel trailer. Dont get the cheapo electric brake ones with the tires under the deck. There are a lot of trailer mfgs. now that sell factory direct, you can get a decent trailer at a decent price. Just do a google search for tag-a-long equipment trailers.

Deerehauler

Parts for Fords are different. If you have a Ford truck with a Hendrickson suspension, parts from a Hendrickson suspension on a KW, IHC, Pete will not fit--Fords are different. A clutch for a Ford truck takes a different input shaft than all other Roadranger transmissions. If you have a good source for parts you will be OK, but be aware that a lot of off the shelf (cheaper) parts will not fit a Ford truck.

wolfman

Occupation
Wildland Fire Dozer Operator (Fighting Fire with
L-9000

Ive had 3 of the L series fords there great but go with the L-9000 if you can you can get bigger engines L-8000 had 3208 fair engines best ones were the 240hp with turbo they would be the longer hood because the turbo is on the back. My choice for pulling hills is an L-9000 with a 290 big cam cummins top speed of 60 mph if you dropped it out of an airplaine but it would pull a battleship. Older trucks are hard to find but there mechanical and easy to work on. I had a 1977 and pulled a cat 416 backhoe for years Ive got 94 now with big cummins. good luck

Komatsu 150

I guess the 3208 did what it was designed for and some guys had good luck with them. I had three and learned to hate them. It was interesting that Cat recommended changing bearings at "half life". Digging around in the service literature you find half life was 75000 miles, although Cat would never tell you what design life was. All three engines were in the same truck - none made it to 75000 although the last failure was likely driver failure.

pinesd3400

Occupation
anything to bay the bills
F800 - f900 ?

I got three of these and they do the job I think that backhoe is around
19,000lb. I even pulled my 215 Cat with it, and that is 36,000lb eeee.

Attachments

• ford.jpg
    ford.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 681
Last edited:

Steve G.

COPPA
Occupation
Electrical
I got three of these and they do the job I think that backhoe is around
19,000lb. I even pulled my 215 Cat with it, and that is 36,000lb eeee.

The 510 weighs over 21k... 21,560 to be exact!

Do you pull that load on grades?

cat980

COPPA
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
look for a ford f800 with a 3208cat with a 5spd with a 2sdd rear and you will have no problem thats what my single axle has in it has no problem moving a 315 cat trackhoe on a trailer. Also make sure the trailer you get has air brakes.

pinesd3400

Occupation
anything to bay the bills
My latest creation

The snow is knocking on the door and this former fire truck finnally got
green last weekend. So I read these posts and this a F900 (391FT)
and 20ton Eager Beaver pulls as all I expect. I respect all of you with
newer stuff but this is all I can afford. Dont beleive that a better life
when you retire thats a total lie. If I grossed even $9000 this year,
I would be surprized, thats why I run old stuff (but new blood under the
hood) and I pray for snow. Some of you know me and these are
town trucks. This year the rules changed again, more insurance, liability
workmans comp. registration fees in this dump state went up some $150 , so
if it dont snow Im done. Maybe ill plant dope weed in the bodys...
Sam in Taxachusetts:Banghead

Attachments

• finnaly got paint.jpg
    finnaly got paint.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 533

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
trucks

The snow is knocking on the door and this former fire truck finnally got
green last weekend. So I read these posts and this a F900 (391FT)
and 20ton Eager Beaver pulls as all I expect. I respect all of you with
newer stuff but this is all I can afford. Dont beleive that a better life
when you retire thats a total lie. If I grossed even $9000 this year,
I would be surprized, thats why I run old stuff (but new blood under the
hood) and I pray for snow. Some of you know me and these are
town trucks. This year the rules changed again, more insurance, liability
workmans comp. registration fees in this dump state went up some $150 , so
if it dont snow Im done. Maybe ill plant dope weed in the bodys...
Sam in Taxachusetts:Banghead

Nice looking truck, what year model is it. As Ive said before, it isnt the age, all the time. A good looking truck will get you work, doesnt make a difference if its a 1960 or a 2009