• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ford backhoes

carogator

no oil getting to hyd. pump. is there a strainer in the left side oil tank? if so how do get to it? tank is full so i think something is pluged.

thanks jw

yes there are two strainers. one is the power steering line inlet.
the other is in same line (i think) at the tank or it may be the return line, right at the tank. go to the CNH parts site-look up 5500 construction-
hydraulics-front
right tank has a strainer assy also

pinesd3400

Occupation
anything to bay the bills
The great Fords

Other than annoying chicken stuff like a blown tire or a stick breaking glass,
I cant think of anything else. I have ran others and I say no thanks. You
just cant beat this thing for a loader, got beautiful reach awesome
breakout turns real tight the only thing I would have designed is to route
the steering into the hydraulic system. Fords are notorious for poor
steering at idle due to a rather small power steering pump.

Attachments

• 650 Ford.jpg
    650 Ford.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 5,864

jwchance

thanks for the info. I found the strainers. strainer goinig to pump pluged. I still have problem with oil won't flow right tank to left tank. took cross over line off not plugged. must be gunk in tank plugging up cross over outlet. I will try to clean tanks next.

thanks again jw

smokey1

Occupation
Builder/Owner
the 555/655 backhoes have a transmission dump valve, on the shuttle machines. it is located, right next to the trans, hydraulic filter. it has two switchs to drop it out one on top of the loader stick and the other on the floor, by the right brake pedal. . It is used to stop the transmission drive when you are using the loader. These machines can develope short circuits in the return to dig circuits, and cable disconects at the fire wall. This wiring can cause havock with your transmission. Go right down under and diconect it if your transmission stops pushing. Also if this turns out to be the problem, you should not leave it permanatly disconnected. It should be opperated occationally to keep it lubrercated. It,s called trans. dump valve. It is fused thru the horn and return to dig cicuits

bodyman36

well i have an old 4500 ford backhow that i use for personal jobs and it seems to do very well its an old tough machine that dosnt give much problem a lil tinkering everynow and then

bodyman36

ford 4500 bachoe diesel help

i ahve this nice old 4500 ford backhoe with the diesl motor, it starts and runs great , but i noticed the bowl that sits ontop of the injector pump was spraying outward the other day , so i took the two nuts off , disconnected the spring, replaced the gasket and put the spring back on , made sure the pin was inserted in the kill lever, it starts and runs great as always but the gasket on the bown is still spraying , (different place) is there supposed to be that much pressure inside that bowl?
did i just mess up the gasket? seems like alot of pressure there?

vpd66

Hello, I just found this site and this is my first post. Ok, here is the deal. I took in trade a Ford 4500 TLB that the engine is seized. The previous owner told me that he was moving it and when he shut it down the motor kind of just came to a stop instead of winding down like normal, so he tried to restart it and the starter just clicked. So far I removed the starter and benched tested it, its good. I put a pry bar on the flywheel (through the starter hole) with the spark plugs out and it is tight. Not even any slack either way. I disconnected the front mount hydraulic pump, and the pump spins easy motor still locked. I removed the gear driven hydraulic steering pump from the engine and thats not it. The tractor has a 4speed trans with shuttle shift and it goes in neutral and pushes easily, so I know it isn't the trans seizing the engine. The tractor is full of antifreeze and the engine oil looks real good and doesn't smell burnt. My thought is that maybe a keyway sheared on a timing gear and locked the engine. Does this sound possible? Today I removed the backhoe and I'm going to remove the frontend loader so I can pull the front axle and get to the front of the engine. Anyone have any other ideas what could be locking this engine??

Phil

Occupation
retired operator and mechanic
vpd66,
It doesn't sound good for your engine, a spun rod bearing will lock an engine so that it won't turn even with a good pry on the flywheel. The previous owner may have failed to tell you about the knock. I suppose it's possible the pistons were dragging and scuffing, from overheating, or coolant in the oil. Either way you are going to have to take it apart. You can check for a turned rod bearing by taking the oil pan off and loosening each cap off, until the motor turns. I'm not sure if the oil pan on that engine will come off easily or not. Phil

Phil

Occupation
Bodyman,
Pressure in that part of the pump should be very low, and controlled, I believe, by the unseating pressure on the check(relief) valve located on the return line fitting, that screws into the pump cover(bowl). Check to see if you have such a fitting, and that the ball or orifice is not plugged. It may require slightly more than just blowing into it with your mouth, to unseat the ball.

The return line to tank should not be restricted either so check that too. This engine may have a manifold heater plumbed into the fuel system too. I will check back on this thread to see what you found. Phil:)

Last edited:

vpd66

Phil,
I'd be very suprised if it spun a rod bearing. I know the guy pretty good that I got it from and I know if it was knocking he would have said something. When it died he wasn't planning on getting rid of it. It was about 3 months after it happened that I swung the trade and he was alittle gun shy to let it go. So I don't think he was hiding anything. The front axle of the tractor has to come off to drop the oil pan, or I would have already dropped it. I was reading the service manual last night and one thing I haven't checked is the governor and distributor is gear driven off the timing gears. I'll give it a shot today.

Phil

Occupation
Gear drives are generally trouble free. I hope you find something simple.

Try cutting the oil filter open. Take the paper out and wash it with varsol or a similar degreaser in a pan. Drain off the liquid and see if there are any metal grindings in the bottom. Phil

kevsugy

I have a 1987 445a Ford backhoe. I bought it from a local muni auction about 7 years ago. It has around 2500 hrs on it. I paid 7000 for it. 2wd. The hoe is a bit large for the machine, i was told it is a hoe for a 555. I've had great luck with it up until recently, where i think the hyd pump is going. Overall, its a great machine. good strength, good reach, and its not too big. hope this helps.
-kev

smokey1

Occupation
Builder/Owner
Starting a loaded Engine.

Phil, thanks, Tha reason I went there was because I have run into it several times. For tha past several years after retirement, I have bought and sold,many , many backhoes and farm tractors. a lot were tradins at dealers. The backhoe circuit was the cause of the problem, mostly the 3 cylinder ones like the MF20. Most of the time, there just wasn't enought to start. But any way the owners would turn in the machines,after pulling off the backhoe or 3 point hitch, or just forget to connect the buy pass hoses. I should have made note of it in the post.
Well i have restored a Ford 550 and would like to see some pictures, . The one I bought also came from a dealer trade in. It got a shampoo. new seat and interior,paint and tires, and new fluids and filters. It looked so nice I used it for a year , before I sold it. Only negative was loading on trailer, It would not go on foward, the hoe was just to heavy for it, So I eather had to back it on with the backhoe up in the dump truck, I then picked up a case 480 E, a small sweetheart. That machine had a quick drop off backhoe , and hydraukic 3 point, and also had a loaded start problem, The supply hose coupler for the backhoe pulled apart one day loading on trailer ^ hours later, I found it. It did show up a weak battery also. It's been real fun. Smokey

jimg984

I have a 1987 445a Ford backhoe. I bought it from a local muni auction about 7 years ago. It has around 2500 hrs on it. I paid 7000 for it. 2wd. The hoe is a bit large for the machine, i was told it is a hoe for a 555. I've had great luck with it up until recently, where i think the hyd pump is going. Overall, its a great machine. good strength, good reach, and its not too big. hope this helps.
-kev

would that be a 555A?

Mackcat

Hello, I just found this site and this is my first post. Ok, here is the deal. I took in trade a Ford 4500 TLB that the engine is seized. The previous owner told me that he was moving it and when he shut it down the motor kind of just came to a stop instead of winding down like normal, so he tried to restart it and the starter just clicked. So far I removed the starter and benched tested it, its good. I put a pry bar on the flywheel (through the starter hole) with the spark plugs out and it is tight. Not even any slack either way. I disconnected the front mount hydraulic pump, and the pump spins easy motor still locked. I removed the gear driven hydraulic steering pump from the engine and thats not it. The tractor has a 4speed trans with shuttle shift and it goes in neutral and pushes easily, so I know it isn't the trans seizing the engine. The tractor is full of antifreeze and the engine oil looks real good and doesn't smell burnt. My thought is that maybe a keyway sheared on a timing gear and locked the engine. Does this sound possible? Today I removed the backhoe and I'm going to remove the frontend loader so I can pull the front axle and get to the front of the engine. Anyone have any other ideas what could be locking this engine??
check your alternator we had one lock up and it completly locked the engine up we cut the belt off and it started right up

vpd66

I never heard of that one. I figured if the generator seized the engine would be able to slip the belt and still turn over. I have to go out in an hour or so to fire up for the night I'll check it out.
Thanks, Vince