• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ford 4500, first start in 6 years, need advice

outbackrider

Great progress...thanks for all the pictures, looking good!!!!
Look's like you're going to have a nice machine there!!!
Keep giving us updates and more pictures...did you find out about that copper tube?

REDDEATH

Good job so far keep the pictures coming. I would sand blast and reprime every thing but thats me:drinkup LOOKS GOOD

HardmanGT

I would sandblast and paint if it was parked in an area other than my yard. Sometime in the future I would like to clean it all up. Black Beauty is murder on grass ;)

HardmanGT

Got it started today but it didn't want to stay running. Cranks and starts easily, revs begin to climb and then it dies. This all happens over about a 5 second period. I can crank it over for a long time immediately after this happens and it will not attempt to fire. If I wait about 10 seconds, I can get it to fire up again as described originally. I am sure this is a fuel issue but not 100% sure how to fix it. I am wondering if it has a fuel flow issue, clogged line, junk in the tank shutoff? It reminds me of an old Cougar I had with a plugged carb filter. It would run fine for a while but sputter and die. If I gave it enough time to refill the carb float it would run again.

Yes, I have new filters installed and bled the filters, pump and I *think I have the injectors bled.

Advice?

Delmer

You're on the right track. I'd hook up a temporary tank (even a jug of fuel) to the transfer pump and then work my way back until it repeats the problem.

HardmanGT

Drained the tank, lots of crud. Flushed it out and put in a few gallons of fresh fuel. Cleaned the junk out of the petcock screen, bled the system from beginning to end...

IT'S ALIVE!!! :D

HardmanGT

It's running great and I am busy fixing the little things that need to be fixed. I have some small leaks, missing or loose bolts and the backhoe controls were rusted solid.
I ended up rebuilding the control shafts with 1/2" zinc plated steel rod and 1/2" X 5/8" X 1-1/8" bronze bushings from Lowes. I reamed out the controls levers slightly and installed the bushings, slipped the rod through and got everything working. I then noticed the lower shaft had worn and had a lot of play in it. I ended up doing the same procedure and everything seems to be working great!
I did pop a hose for the bucket and am struggling to get it apart. Looks like some home welding had been done on the boom and I can't get a wrench on one end of the fitting. I'll figure it out eventually.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371733178.263226.jpg

Last edited:

BlazinSS934

Now I hope you are going to add a nipple to that fitting so you can avoid cursing and wrench throwing when you go to re-install that new hose. Looks good so far! The water district that I work for still has a 72 or 73 triple nickel as a back up machine. I just love how those non turbo motors sound, only has 8500 hours on it, now she is a yard queen. We use it to load concrete and asphalt into 20 yard containers once a week. I will say the valve bank is nice and broken in, it has 4 stick ford backhoe controls. It was real easy to learn a new pattern on this machine because I didn't need to muscle the levers. Our new cat a 2000 416IT has ford controls and it is annoying.

HardmanGT

I got the new hoses on and everything works great now. The next challenge is the swing pins and bushings, they are toast and I don't want to run it like this. Looked up the parts and got sticker shock. There is no way that I will ever spend $900 for 2 pins and 2 bushings on a 40 year old backhoe. I looked around online and made some calls for aftermarket replacements but either nobody could get them or they had been discontinued. I know many of you will recommend going to a machine shop and I would agree that this sounds like a good idea. The problem I have right now is that I just moved to this area and have no contacts or leads right now. Does anyone in the Charlotte or Asheville areas have recommendations?

swing bushing #7701559 $192.00ea

swing pin 2.5” X 7” #7706732 $239.71ea

HardmanGT

The local machine shop asked me to bring the backhoe by so they could give me an estimate. Seeing as they are only about 2 miles from me, I decided to drive it over. Now I don't expect this to be a race car but it barely wanted to pull 4th gear on flat road. 3rd gear uphill was also not too good. Is this normal or do I have some stuff to look at and adjust.

I don't know if the pump is adjusted properly so maybe you can let me know. I see a stamped mark close to the head of the bolt and also a scratched mark that I assume someone else had made. Which mark do you think I should I use? I think this is supposed to be set at zero but I don't know which mark I should use.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373480265.446489.jpg

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
I didn't see in any of your posts what the pump #'s were..so I don't know if its a "clockwise or counter clockwise" pump..
It "looks like" either your pump is 1* retarded OR 1* advanced..it doesn't take much to move it..a 1/2" wrench on 3 bolts..loosen the 3 and twist the pump to the other side of the line..and re-tighten.
if no improvement..put'er back to 0*.. good luck..TPG

sillaw

I had an old David Brown that got stuck , we removed the rocker cover and poured diesel through the whole thing, let it soak, drained it, replaced the oil, gave the valve springs a couple of taps, and it loosened up and turned over. Diesel seems to be better than oil, for freeing up things.

HardmanGT

Well, it's been a while since I last updated this thread so I figured that I would share some new info.

The top swing bushing was completely worn out and since it had been replaced and welding in, I had to grind it out. Come to find out that they never bothered to drill a grease channel through the new bushing. No wonder it wore out! I got a generic hardened bushing online and welded it in place, got a used pin and assembled.
It wasn't until that point that I found the swing post casting was egged out bad. The whole assembly had to be removed and brought the machine shop. They indexed the center line, bored it over and made up a sleeve. Got it almost all back together yesterday. Just need to hook up the swing chain and bleed all of the air out of the hydraulics.

sheepfoot

Sounds like it's going to dig some dirt soon, they can need some work when you find those older fords, but make a good machine, nice project!.