• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ford 4500, first start in 6 years, need advice

HardmanGT

At some point before I connected the swing chain, the swing cylinders were actuated and both cylinder retracted. I need to get them out far enough to reconnect the swing chain. Can anyone recommend a good method to get the swing cylinders to pull back out? I have tried to pressurize the vent lines but I only have 100psi available. I could barely get one cylinder to move. I have not tried the other cylinder. Do I need to actuate the controls to help? I just tried to use a come a long from the bucket to pull it out but I didn't notice it working. All it did was swing boom.

sheepfoot

The pressure is on the rod ends, I would unhook the crossover line and remove the line at the barrel end to pull them out, you will loose some oil so have the drip pan handy.

HardmanGT

All good to go!

It took some swearing and I sacrificed some blood to make it happen but I was able to get the swing cylinders extended enough to reconnect the swing chains. I loosened the lines at the combination valve, attached the rod ends to a come along and got one out far. Couldn't get the other line loose so I attached the swing chain to the cylinder I could reach. With the boom off the ground I was able to swing the boom far enough by hand to connect the other chain. With the vent line still off I just worked the controls a few time and all of the slack was taken up. Just need to attach the vent line and make sure everything is ready to dig!