• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Food plots

trbizwiz

Here's a link to a small drill

I just bought this drill last week. i first read about it on the Iowa whitetail forum. I posted part I of a multi part series reviewing part of the drills features and functions. i hope to finish the features part of the series in part II this weekend and then start a part on putting out a food plot. In my case the food plot is for cows but I am using a deer plot mix.

YouTube - Part I Dew Drop Drill review Bad Boy mower

Hope you guys find this useful. This is my first ever video, and obviously the first one I posted to youtube. It's not great, but I hope they get better.

okietractor

I have used most all the methods mentioned from disc or rototill and pack to using a 3pt no till. All are effective but a lot depends on soil type and what seed you are planting.

trbizwiz

Here is part II of the Dew Drop Drill video. As a side noteI have planted the 4 acres I have in pasture with it, It worked well. I have most of the seed starting to come up now. I am interested to see how thick it comes in planting at 45 to 50lb per acre instead of 60 per half acre. Seems ok so far.
Ill show the progress in part III

YouTube - Part II Dew Drop Drill Bad Boy mower
this is not a cheap way to put in plots but it is a fun option.I kinda love toys so it fits.

oldtanker

Occupation
Ret
Ok to start with roto tillers are BAD! 1 the kill the worms (needed) and 2. because of the tine action they create hardpan (look at the roto action...as the tines come DOWN they pack the soil under the tine swing!)! A plow, disk and digger is a much better option! When I went from a tiller to plow I had to make five passes with the plow to break up the hardpan! This is in sandy loam! 3. seed don't need to be burried! It only has to make contact with the ground and get wet to grow! You could broadcast seed corn, run a drag through it to ensure ground contact and get it wet! Look it up....JD, CaseIH Ect don't want you to know this because then you will not buy anything!

Rick

Last edited:

trbizwiz

I have shot most of part III of the dew drop drill review, but I haven't taken time to edit it yet. I'll say I have made some adjustments to my theories now that I have used it and seen some results. I would not again cut my seed with corn chops. I would only cut it with another type of seed that will actually grow. I did not get any stand from the oats or peas that I planted. The brassicas came up well. If I had cut my deer plot mix with something like rye grass I would have a very nice stand right now. I suspect that I'll get a nice stand of oats and peas in the spring, but the drought this summer and fall in Missouri really hurt me. I'll probably buy a football field portable irrigation thing next summer. I really don't want to go through this again.
Overall I am pleased with the drill. I think it works great. I agree with the previous poster on soil contact for most grass types of seeds, but some grains do require a particular minimum planting depth to have an effective stand.