• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

First Winter Storm, maybe....

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
I was just using the blade scrapping a couple inches of snow with no plow on the front, I don't think you can lock up the rear's on this unit but I maybe wrong. The conditions are icy.
I can't confirm the ability to lock the rears. If so, unlock them to get better steering response.

You may find that you need chains on the front also.

Do you have a set of chains for the rears?

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
I got a question for you experienced guys. I have only run my Champion 710A a few times now and really like it. I went out this morning to scape the roads on the farm and I noticed my front tires loose traction making it difficult to turn, kind of hops. Do I need more weight on the front? I know it's not a big heavy 6 wheel drive like a lot of you are using so maybe this is just wishful thinking on my part. Thanks
You mean it slides, or it's 6 wheel drive and spins? I can't speak to the issue if it's 6 wheel drive. I ran one once, and never used the front wheel power, or an old Austen Weston years ago. Like someone else said, use your blade to help turn. When I do plow with the grader, I use my wing once the snow banks get hard. If I start to turn a bit early, the snow bank will swing you around the corner like a rudder. Mind you it only works going right. Without a wing, put a bit more pressure down on the heel of the blade, and it will slip you around as well. The old 14E I ran years ago had a front plow like DB2. It was a 16 footer, and sometimes I would start to lift it just to take a bit more weight on the front. Leaning the wheels as you start the turn helps sometimes to as it kinda slings you that direction.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
Thanks cutting edge. I only have my back tandems driving me. I'll keep practicing with your techniques in mind. I do use the wheel lean which helps.
This technique stirs debate every time. But here goes. If your tires are worn relatively flat, with a sort of sharp edge where the tread ends, lean them the opposite direction, away from the turn. For example if I want to turn right, lean the tires to the left. That puts the sharp tread edge firmly planted on the ground. That edge will dig into the ground and slow slide.

I know, I know..... Sounds stupid..... Try it. If your tires are worn round, forget the above. :)

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
This technique stirs debate every time. But here goes. If your tires are worn relatively flat, with a sort of sharp edge where the tread ends, lean them the opposite direction, away from the turn. For example if I want to turn right, lean the tires to the left. That puts the sharp tread edge firmly planted on the ground. That edge will dig into the ground and slow slide.

I know, I know..... Sounds stupid..... Try it. If your tires are worn round, forget the above. :)
I've heard that before, but never tried it. Don't know if they will ever do any plowing with our grader again. I would way sooner be doing roads than parking lots.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
went out this morning and scraped some ice, bucketed some snow around, pushed some banks back ( some of these new guys have to learn if they don't shove them back at the start, they will run out of room real fast ) and cleaned of the snow dump at one of the malls. Snowing again, and there is already enough to have to go out in the morning and do my route. Another one of these just enough to plow storms. My route has become time dependent. I do a bank downtown. Nowhere to put the snow. A deal was made, the bank staff parking lot is surrounded by buildings, and connects onto the city hall staff parking lot. I shove the snow from the bank across the city lot anyway, so I plow their lot as well, and push the material out on the street. In exchange for cleaning the city lot which we don't get paid for, the city loader shoves the snow I pile on the street away. Cheaper than having to haul every storm. Problem is, I have to get it out on the street by 4am. This time works well, I don't mind the early mornings, They added a motel to my route that I can't clean up until after 11. Works out well for a big storm, but a small one like tonight, I will have everything done by 8, and then it's a waiting game till 11. They took a big appt complex last winter, and I can kinda run back and forth as it's next to the motel, but it's still a pain.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
went out this morning and scraped some ice, bucketed some snow around, pushed some banks back ( some of these new guys have to learn if they don't shove them back at the start, they will run out of room real fast ) and cleaned of the snow dump at one of the malls. Snowing again, and there is already enough to have to go out in the morning and do my route. Another one of these just enough to plow storms. My route has become time dependent. I do a bank downtown. Nowhere to put the snow. A deal was made, the bank staff parking lot is surrounded by buildings, and connects onto the city hall staff parking lot. I shove the snow from the bank across the city lot anyway, so I plow their lot as well, and push the material out on the street. In exchange for cleaning the city lot which we don't get paid for, the city loader shoves the snow I pile on the street away. Cheaper than having to haul every storm. Problem is, I have to get it out on the street by 4am. This time works well, I don't mind the early mornings, They added a motel to my route that I can't clean up until after 11. Works out well for a big storm, but a small one like tonight, I will have everything done by 8, and then it's a waiting game till 11. They took a big appt complex last winter, and I can kinda run back and forth as it's next to the motel, but it's still a pain.
Oh man, that stressed me just reading it.... I would suck at your job. Kudos to you. They are lucky to have you!!!!

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Oh man, that stressed me just reading it.... I would suck at your job. Kudos to you. They are lucky to have you!!!!
I'm just a pup. I turned 50 today. Been at this for 30 years. Hoping I don't have to keep working full time, or at least plowing snow till I'm 70, but I might get bored sitting home.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
I'm just a pup. I turned 50 today. Been at this for 30 years. Hoping I don't have to keep working full time, or at least plowing snow till I'm 70, but I might get bored sitting home.
Happy Birthday!!!!!

I started running a grader in 1987. It's a hobby job for me. I've been retired for 10 years but still enjoy running the grader. Put 400-500 hrs a year on it. It's my Beer Money or Rockcrawler project money.

If I had to run an old worn out machine, or if I had to plow in residential/commercial areas I would give it up. I enjoy being out there by myself in the middle of the night, all lit up, wearing a T-Shirt, listening to XM Radio and cleaning rural roads. :cool: