• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

First Winter Storm, maybe....

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
Friday daytime temp high 43F. Friday evening wind 25mph, low temp 9F, 3-5" of snow.

Saturday daytime temp high 12F. Daytime wind 30mph. Daytime 1-3" of snow. Saturday evening temp -8F, 20mph wind.

Our roads are bare. Little or no frost. I'll try to run without chains. That depends on drifts. Snow should be light and fluffy coming off that cold air. Makes it drift worse. But pushes easier.

No complaints here. We've had a very easy Winter so far.

Picture for mood.

20150201_144809 (1280x720).jpg

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
I've been out 3 or 4 times, but nothing to speak of. Snowing now, but it will be one of those just enough to have to clean up. Crazy mild so far this year, the river hasn't even frozen over yet.

20/80

Occupation
operator
Yep, has been crazy temp swings, been out 3 times, seems we get a good dumping of snow then 3-4 days later it gets rained away, temps have been really swinging here along the coast, 55F to 20F and everything in between, hopefully it will swing to the cold side mid to end of Jan for a month or two.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
Yep, has been crazy temp swings, been out 3 times, seems we get a good dumping of snow then 3-4 days later it gets rained away, temps have been really swinging here along the coast, 55F to 20F and everything in between, hopefully it will swing to the cold side mid to end of Jan for a month or two.
I agree. I don't like cold weather. But my roads need to freeze and stay that way for the next 45-60 days.

I am chuckling at the weather geeks this morning. They want to dramatize this pending storm sooooo bad. But they don't want to completely miss. So the "buzz" word this morning is "potential". In other words they don't have a clue. But something is going to happen. :)

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
My Grader is 7 miles from my house. I went and plugged it in just now. Didn't put on chains. Snow is supposed to start about 0300 hrs tomorrow morning. Snow all day ending around midnight. 20-30mph winds. Expected snowfall 5-8". They always guess high so I figure 4-6". I'll start pushing just after midnight tomorrow night if nothing changes.

We're going to 4 wheel here at the farm tomorrow afternoon. Ta Hell with the storm!!!! :)

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
My Grader is 7 miles from my house. I went and plugged it in just now. Didn't put on chains. Snow is supposed to start about 0300 hrs tomorrow morning. Snow all day ending around midnight. 20-30mph winds. Expected snowfall 5-8". They always guess high so I figure 4-6". I'll start pushing just after midnight tomorrow night if nothing changes.

We're going to 4 wheel here at the farm tomorrow afternoon. Ta Hell with the storm!!!! :)
My wife always says," Do you think you should be going to the store in the snow? It might be slippery." Thinking if she could only see how crazy my drive to work is in some storms.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
My wife always says," Do you think you should be going to the store in the snow? It might be slippery." Thinking if she could only see how crazy my drive to work is in some storms.
Absolutely!!!! And for me I usually start pushing at night. No one is out. No tracks on the roads to guide me. It's actually stimulating. I prefer to push at night when no one is out. I get satisfaction from turning a no track snow covered road into a clean road that can be safely driven. Kinda sadistic..... :)

DB2

4E8728CB-768D-4196-9A0D-7BBAA50C7AD4.png We added these to our grader that does country roads. Since it’s dark some 16 hours a day here at the height of plowing season they are a worthwhile investment. And they look pretty cool as well.

colson04

Do those require a separate ballast, or do they wire direct to 12v?

I had looked at some a few years back to put on my Deere 310A backhoe (nothing that fancy), but I quit looking when I saw I had to mount and wire a separate ballast/converter thing first, and then re-wire my lights. I would like to replace my old conventional work lights to some LED and have actual lights at night to work with.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
View attachment 251140 We added these to our grader that does country roads. Since it’s dark some 16 hours a day here at the height of plowing season they are a worthwhile investment. And they look pretty cool as well.
When we ordered this new machine we specified HID lights. I can see my moldboard better at night than daytime. 18 lights total. I have a slight shady area just left of the rear tandems on the left side. Otherwise everything is brilliantly lit. The machine has these on 8 different switch selections. Nighttime I run them all on. The grader also has snow plow light brackets that I put on in Winter, remove in Summer. This elevates the front lights 4 ft. They are seen in the picture I added at the beginning of this thread. Allows me to have excellent lighting over and in front of the snow plow. Without the brackets the front lights are mounted on the sides of the main frame at the front.

Here's a windshield pic without the brackets.

20190815_083318 (1280x720).jpg

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army

I had looked at some a few years back to put on my Deere 310A backhoe (nothing that fancy), but I quit looking when I saw I had to mount and wire a separate ballast/converter thing first, and then re-wire my lights. I would like to replace my old conventional work lights to some LED and have actual lights at night to work with.

I think you are referring to a ballast to create draw? As you would need if you changed your truck taillights/turn signal lights to LED?? The ballast replaces the draw your factory lights created. This prevents the computer from thinking your lights aren't working and throwing a code or blinking crazy fast when turning. Not sure you would need anything like that on your older model hoe.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
It started spitting snow at daylight this morning. Wind has steadily increased. We are at 10F degrees with 20 mph N winds and moderate snowfall. Still forcasting 4-6" by the time it ends around midnight.

I'm plugged in. Did not put chains on. Did not hook up to the plow. I'm being an optimist.

I'll go to bed mid afternoon. Wake up around midnight and assess the situation. I'm guessing I'll push. Even if to just remove whatever small drifts have formed.

DB2

These were pretty much plug and play after we made a harness to connect the new to the existing. No wires were cut and the originals will go back on at the time of sale or trade.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
I like the plow light stanchions on the Cat in that they rotate in the brackets and can be adjusted for height fairly easily.
Yep, way better. Don't they also have the ability to fold out the rear lights to create a wider look at night?

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
These were pretty much plug and play after we made a harness to connect the new to the existing. No wires were cut and the originals will go back on at the time of sale or trade.
My Son (mechanic) says the heated versions do not require any type of ballast. The heaters create the draw the computer is looking for.

colson04 wouldn't need the heated version so he might have a ballast issue. But again his hoe may be old enough that it won't care.