• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

First generation hydraulic excavators?

mei8555

that is so cool to see the old literature. my dad had a 73 koehring 866d 135000 pounds. that was one amazing machine we had that machine for about 13 years.

Steve/Iowa

After seeing all of the great old iron in this forum I just had to post about my C-28 Hien-Werner. When I bought it, swing and boom was with the sticks, crowd and curl was with your feet. Talk about uncomfortable; we found a way in the operator’s book to put everything in the sticks. The control linkage is direct to the spool valve, with a hydraulic assist actuator connected in line with the push-pull cable. The machine is late 70’s early 80’s with an operating weight of #96000 powered with a 318 Detroit. As I understand it, they were manufactured in Minnesota.

skadill

Attachments

• DSCN1579AR.jpg
    DSCN1579AR.jpg
    470.5 KB · Views: 1,235
  • DSCN1580AS.jpg
    DSCN1580AS.jpg
    463.1 KB · Views: 1,249
  • DSCN1581AT.jpg
    DSCN1581AT.jpg
    433.2 KB · Views: 1,237
  • DSCN1582AU.jpg
    DSCN1582AU.jpg
    334.9 KB · Views: 1,207
  • DSCN1577AP.jpg
    DSCN1577AP.jpg
    406.9 KB · Views: 1,213

kelly mt

My Hein-Werner C14 working. It's a late 60s early 70s machine. This thing can dig! PK

Attachments

• IMG_2215s.jpg
    IMG_2215s.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 1,121
  • Barn Drain 2s.jpg
    Barn Drain 2s.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 1,117
  • C14 Motor 5s.jpg
    C14 Motor 5s.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 1,126

5030tinkerer

Scrub, that is a salt dome, they bring salt in by ship and load it out onto trucks and rail.

JB, she's got almost 11,000; I've put about 6000 of that on her since 2004, operating her myself about 85% of the time.

The only thing I've done to the hydraulics is repack a couple of cylinders. When I got her she had a tiny water leak, (quart a month, or so) and after running 4 years, it suddenly got much worse. I replaced a cracked head and all 4 injectors since neither I nor the Cat dealer could get them out. Other than that, the only major repair was to replace the swing drive gearbox, but that was broken by a man I thought I had trained to be an operator, totally not the machines fault.

What did he do to break the swing drive gearbox? It always kills me when an operator is the cause of machine breakdown. Use the right tool for the right job and have an easier life.

mitch504

What did he do to break the swing drive gearbox? It always kills me when an operator is the cause of machine breakdown. Use the right tool for the right job and have an easier life.

He was putting large concrete footers and pieces of slab over the edge into an old sand pit that we were filling in with a hotel complex. He got tired of picking them up and dropping them over, so he decided to push them in with the side of the bucket. It wouldn't push them from a standing start (as it that isn't bad enough) so he started swinging around and hitting them, sorta like a golf swing. :badidea

5030tinkerer

He was putting large concrete footers and pieces of slab over the edge into an old sand pit that we were filling in with a hotel complex. He got tired of picking them up and dropping them over, so he decided to push them in with the side of the bucket. It wouldn't push them from a standing start (as it that isn't bad enough) so he started swinging around and hitting them, sorta like a golf swing. :badidea

Wow. No doubt. Hopefully he was involved in the repair at least.