• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Fire Suppression - Boomer's , Heli's , Tanker's , Trucks, ect

245dlc

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Hi HDX that would be something to see a chaindriven truck that isn't in a museum. lol I googled B.C.'s fire program not long ago just out of curiosity I was pretty impressed from what I read and saw, their program looks much like what's setup south of the border in places like California. I know a couple guys that got on with the program here in Manitoba and it's kinda a joke in comparison all their training seems to be on the job and nothing to prepare them before hand. We don't have severe terrain that B.C. and Alberta have but we do have wind and lots of timber and the last two summers, little if any rain.
Hi Dunwurken if we put a pto on this truck would it be able to 'pump and roll'? Many of our fires are moving grass fires and they can move with great speed with our fierce prairie wind as I quickly discovered this past fall. Our pumper that's in those pictures when I put it into pump gear you can't drive and pump with it, but some other fire departments in the area can with their pumpers.

Last edited:

245dlc

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Here are some of my pictures from a fire we had this fall we had several Fire Departments in the area assisting with it, we weren't able to get any help from the province as our Municipality doesn't have any crown land and most of the water bombers were apparently working a larger fire to the southeast of us that burnt a timber bridge and a couple houses. The land is a combination of grassland and brush and on a bit of a gravel esker so it was very very dry and being the end of September we get a lot of really windy weather that made the situation that much worse I think we had wind speeds up to 75-80 km/hr first from the north then switching over the south and back again. The only private property lost was a garage, a pole barn, and an old motor home and some barbed wire fence when a D6R was trying to cut a fire break. We also almost lost our pumper when the wind suddenly came up just before noon on the second day while the guys were trying to put out a stubborn ditch fire that blew up and burnt some hose (to bad it didn't burn stupid thing is a boat anchor).

IMG_0228-1_zps97b4b668.jpg

IMG_0223-1_zps1f5a6f00.jpg

IMG_0222-1_zps73eb602d.jpg

IMG_0221-2_zps2b590be1.jpg

IMG_0217-1_zpsdb2f7978.jpg

dunwurken

Sweet pictures! What does that amphib 206 have for an engine? An RR250? Just curious...
Even though the 206 looks pretty, if I was driving that 206 I would not want have the Martin Mars behind me cause I know it would closing at about 50 knots!!

Murk100

Occupation
30 yrs GY Operator
Thanks to Wikipedia I see the Allison C20 is now called the RR250....sounds like the Madill, Cypress, Thunderbird thing There is a show on Discouvery Channel.ca called Mighty Planes Martin Mars you should be able to stream it...
Allison C20B, 420 HP the bro loved this plane...Coulsons replaced it with a S-76 Heli with infared cameras etc.

dunwurken

Hi Dunwurken if we put a pto on this truck would it be able to 'pump and roll'? Many of our fires are moving grass fires and they can move with great speed with our fierce prairie wind as I quickly discovered this past fall. Our pumper that's in those pictures when I put it into pump gear you can't drive and pump with it, but some other fire departments in the area can with their pumpers.
245dlc You would have to do some research on the Allison and on PTOs. There are many different PTOs some are only good for high idle but some can take more speed and torque required to run a fire pump. (hint: probably not a good idea to shop at Princess Auto) If you want to know what abuse some PTOs on Allison transmissions can take, think of a garbage truck. PTO driving a Hydraulic pump. About as harsh treatment as you can imagine.

245dlc

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Yeah I figured I'd check and see if you or somebody else knew a little more about tranny's and pto's. Our municipality isn't big on spending money on fire protection so it would probably be cheaper for us to use an existing pump that we already have for example we have two 3" gas powered pumps but because of our well water here the impeller's seized but that's always fixable. One of the pumps had a special bracket made so it would sit on top of the pumper just above the tank access so a suction hose could be dipped in and somebody could sit on a hose bed and do a pump and roll kind of thing there. I know a lot of trucks like plow trucks use to have a pto run off the front of the engine and could be turned on and off by some kind of air actuated clutch. I use to drive for a guy from time to time who had and ex-city dump truck setup like that so it could run a snowplow and sander continously. Oh well all stuff to take into consideration when we have our next training session in the new year. Happy New Year everybody!

dunwurken

Probably best to keep it simple, If you have the pumps just mount them up and your good to go. Putting it up on top is the easiest however if you have someplace to mount the pump lower and have the suction side fed by a connection low on the tank it serves two purposes. One it keeps the creww off the top of the tank and is easier to work on and two you don't have to worry about priming the pump. Gravity will do that for you. Just a thought.
BTW. Do you drink the water from those wells? If it screws up the impellers I can't imagine what it's doing to your innards !!

245dlc

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Yeah the back of the tanker has a compartment big enough for a three inch pump. But the big four inch with the V-twin Honda might be too big. I think the safest thing to do is run a hose into the cab and have a guy in the passenger seat be the nozzleman unless we could afford a remote bumper mounted monitor.

Dualie

most garbage trucks run front mount PTO's that are run off of the front of the engine not the transmission. but there are oilfield applications and some hydroseeders that will run 550 horsepower through a PTO

245dlc

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Yeah I guess there are lots of different option out there it's just a matter of what money our Fire Department has, political will, and the fact we need a new pumper sooner than later.

245dlc

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
What are people's thoughts on using a 3" Honda powered pump in place of a proper high pressure pump like a Wajax any experience with using one?

Dualie

depends on how much fire you want to fight. Most "fire" suppression pumps are 75HP+

dsmitht343

Occupation
firefighter/emt-2
It depends on the application, flow and pressure you want. I would say if it's filling a tender and you aren't in a huge rush that would be a reliable setup. Probably cheaper and mor robust than a Wajax high pressure setup.