• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Finding part number for Caterpillar repair manuals

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Oh for the days of single books like 980B or D8H service manuals.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Once we bought a Duramax pickup for work, back when the were a new thing, and I insisted on also getting the service manual in print. That thing took up half a bookshelf and since I left I doubt anybody has cracked it. Truck is probably wore out anyway. I don't think the manual cost very much though.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
That's the engine Serial Number. Machine Serial Number is BLN04588 (last 8 characters of the 17-character PIN).
Be on the lookout for Cat Publication RENR3570. That's for a complete Service Manual.
I don't see any used paper ones at the moment. Here is a brand new one on CD for less than the regular $885 list price.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/RENR3570-C...432D-Factory-Repair-Shop-Manual-/302321026468

A new paper manual (2 volumes) goes for $1600. Beware of attractively cheap manuals on eBay that are in fact only one of the two volumes.

Last edited:

thepaintguy

Yes, that is indeed the last 8 characters on my machine. Impressive! I'm not wholly sure that I need the entire service manual, but it would definitely allow me to trace down and diagnose pretty much any issue. Thank you so much for the info. I'm going to post another thread focusing on reconstructing the IT system.

thepaintguy

You could also consider a basic Operation & Maintenance Manual - about $50 to download a pdf version, or a Parts Manual - about $100 ditto. BTW The O&M Manual is included in the aforementioned service manual.
I did get a downloadable version of this and it is also coming on a disc. It at least let me know what some of the switches and controls were.