• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Finally learned how to post pics.

Knepptune

I just read my last two posts here. I evidently hate old tanks, hate flipping pools, don't really like tree jobs. Must be I only like picking up steel skids with a stamped weight, 4 designated pick points, welded on and marked, and having a 50% excess of chart, at 30' radius, in a empty, flat, paved parking lot.

I guess if it was easy, old women and little children would be doing it.

Lol where the hey are those crane jobs. I need to move there.

Used the national for manbasket and tailing the tanks. We've never had much luck trying to lay tanks over with one crane and someone has to get to the top of the tanks to hook up anyway. Those tanks were 12' diameter and 35' tall. Weighed around 17k.

Last edited:

Knepptune

One of the neatest crane jobs I've been on. Setting boats in the water for the thunder over Madison. Basically a vintage hydroplane boat show. We had one crane there. Two other crane companies each had one crane there. Interestingly enough all three cranes were t230's
image.jpg

Knepptune

image.jpg
These boats have p38 fighter plane engines. Guy told me he spent 100k on rebuilding the engine. He did a lot of the work. SOBs shook the crane when they fired up.

Knepptune

image.jpg
Handy dandi ramps for setting up on a boat dock. The small pieces I have my back outriggers are angled on the bottom. Set the on the concrete ramp and the top is level. Little weird sitting on top of water.

FSERVICE

knepptune where are you located? im in Charlestown IN just down 62 from Madison.. looks like a neat job,

Knepptune

image.jpg
The Miss Budweiser.
image.jpg
Letting the water drain out.
These boats weighed between 6-7k. I set the biggest boats. Kinda nice i set the 5 biggest boats. My neighbors set all the smaller boats and they stayed busy. The guy on the very far end was booming everytime I looked over there. I think I made 16 picks all day. Got a lot of time to talk those guys. Interesting group of guys. A lot of them were in the movie Madison. One guy supplied the boats for the movie. Also got to meet ken warby. He holds the world record speed in a boat. 317 mph.

Knepptune

Forgot to add. Those boys sure were nervious about the fuel for those boats. As in firefighters in full gear surrounding the tanks and fire extinguishers filled with aircraft foam.

Knepptune

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
The other part of my job. Customers lull. At the shop for service and to check it out before the next job. Not sure what I'm gonna do about it. I'll probably take it somewhere to have it fixed.

This is definitely a weak spot on these lulls. There's a ton of 8k lulls around with the boom cracked/buckled at this spot.

Last edited:

crane operator

Is that a welded corner, or bent U shape?

Probably from being all the way out, over loaded, then driving around (bouncing)?

(by the way, nice yard crane:cool2, use what you got hey)

Also nice boat pictures. Did they provide the water ramps? I debated building something similar a few years ago for loading boats at ramps/ launching barges. Decided it was too much work for not enough jobs.

crane operator

Wait a minute, there's a little grove tms 200 hiding in the corner of that first picture, you just wanted to play with the big crane, didn't you.

Knepptune

Lol that's actually my uncles tms250. It has a bad habit of starting up randomly and eating starters. It's gonna be turned into a parts crane. Swing bearing is shot, frame is cracked and it has a Detroit. 3 strikes and your out. Lol

The boom on that lull is welded on the bottom. Top corners are just bent. Definitely caused by overloading and abuse.

Unloaded cw's earlier so the 110 was ready to go.

Also the set up ramps were supplied. Quess those ramps have been around since the 70s.

Last edited:

crane operator

Did you have your pocketbook out today?

2009 PETERBILT 367 Tri Drive w/Manitex 5096S 50 Ton Boom Truck

f1d02498-9872-460b-b5cb-c0ea377ef9e0.jpg

Only brought $87,000 but it was tri drive. No jib.

The newer (2012) swing cabs brought $150-190, which is still a lot of $, but considering a new one is 350-400,000 and the highest mileage one was like 30,000, they actually were auction priced.

The 05 altec 38 tonner wasn't bad priced at $85,000 either.

I didn't buy anything, but I am looking at a detach lowboy that's on tomorrow's list. We'll see.

Knepptune

That's a little short boomed for a 50 ton but that seems like a heck of a good price. I completely forgot about that auction. A while back I told dad that's an auction we need to watch. Been so busy lately neither one of us remembered.

Good luck on the lowboy hunt. Has the bottom fell out of those prices as well. We were just talking That it would be kinda nice to have a lowboy. Could haul smaller cranes at least. Don't think we could haul the 40-50 ton cranes with our truck but we definitely could haul up to 30t cranes with our truck.

crane operator

I'm hoping the bottom has fallen out down there:). I cant find a detach by me that's under 25-30,000. I just can't give that kind of $ for 1-2 times a week. I really want a non ground bearing detach (no hydraulic foot). A scissor neck, or a ground bearing (hydraulic foot/outrigger), I just don't see working for me. I've found a older detach, but I wouldn't mind a little newer if one doesn't bring much on the auction. Been looking at this one, its got a little rust, and some bent up middle stringers, but I don't see anything obviously wrong:

https://www.rbauction.com/1996-TALBERT-50-Ton-TriA?invId=9491018&id=ci&auction=FORT-WORTH-TX-2016209

1996 talbert, 25' well.
88af4bf6-75c6-48de-9147-1184247ee4e8.jpg

Also this one 22' well (I think my 40 ton would fit)

https://www.rbauction.com/1994-TALB...d=9474287&id=ci&auction=FORT-WORTH-TX-2016209

59d08634-d116-4e97-ac41-54db4921f17a.jpg

I'm sure I'm not interested in this:

https://www.rbauction.com/2001-TRAI...d=9488968&id=ci&auction=FORT-WORTH-TX-2016209

216f9b9c-187c-427f-9d12-53ab2bfe92a8.jpg

A earlier picture showed the whole side of the neck rewelded and a big ugly patch , where the 1/2 moon of flat paint is on the neck. Both bottom ears where the lift lugs are have been just replaced also. Think they might have been loaded a little heavy on some rough roads?

Knepptune

Have updated in awhile. Been busier then a one legged man in a kicking contest. Took the boom apart on a customers 45t. Rebuilt the outer mid tele cylinder. Just got the boom back on the lull. We'll be putting it back together later this week. Also rebuilt one of the boom cylinders on our tms300.

Ran the 300 today for a little bit.

IMG_0229.jpg
IMG_0230.jpg
They said the ground was solid getting back there. The ground was not solid. Luckily they had a big tractor there.
IMG_0231.jpg

Last edited:

Knepptune

IMG_0238.jpg
Grain pipe. Within inches of not being able to do it.
IMG_0247.jpg
Boom truck we used to own. Checked the computer out. Didn't really need anything.
IMG_0248.jpg
Thought I'd get in on the track loader fun. Believe this one was a 953c maybe. I'm sure someone can tell without even seeing the decal.

crane operator

Looks good knepptune. You can give me a hard time about setting up in a crooked spot, but I don't usually fight mud:D

Was that grain spout one of those you kind of eyeball and say "I think it will reach?" I hate stretching out dead stick and jib and being short 5'.

Knepptune

That grain pipe threw me off. I eyeballed it and said no problem I can reach that easy. It wasn't. Had to take one cable down and setup several times to get the exact right angle were I could reach it and I wasn't hitting the cables. I haven't been that far off on an eyeball in a long time. Felt like an idiot.