• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Field service guys.

Axle

Occupation
electronics tech
Don't buy cheap ty-wraps. If the shop supplies cheap tywraps, go buy your own (I ran out and needed them...) Cheap ones have sharp edges (eventually cut into cables/hoses), and are a lot stiffer than good tywraps aka a lot more difficult to wrap & engage when you could use a third hand. And if you are leaving them on the machine, flush cut them for crying out loud. I hate coming across lazy tech's tyrwraps who couldn't be bothered flush cutting them and leaving a sharp edge for you to find...

No BS will get you far. Over time, that will even work in your favor with the boss man as it'll give you a bit more leeway if you happen to have a bad day. And on the topic of bad days, if who you see on the jobsite is miserable and a pita, be diplomatic, they are probably miserable and a pita becuase their machine is broke, will cost them even more money, and put a crimp in their schedule. You are there to unmiserable them. Doesn't work for everybody, but even the crusty b*****d that needs a wrench to the side of the head just because, will remember you as the guy who didn't **** him off more and got things working. Certain names I see I always have a silent groan, but oddly enough, they are also some of my best allies in the past when things could go upside down.

If you don't do it, ask the operator, "any weird noises you have heard, no matter how small or inconsistant?". As you get more familiar with certain equipment, having a one on one non-technical q&a with the operator can get you information to help drill down to what is actually wrong and you will learn a few key questions with certain equipment to differentiate systems. Whir, or buzz? Sounds like a helicoptor or a truck tire rolling down the highway? What may sound like dumb comparisons, but in everyday terms, most people can tell the difference between the two. It is a lot better than, "it made a racket"...

Alex.

fixou812

Occupation
Millwright Equipment Mechanic Welder
Hope you can stick weld good enough to do a "Dutchman " that's welding a nut onto a shaft.
Seems alot of air cooled portable machines have been run past their duty cycle and don't like welding overhead.
Keep a little crome rod 5/32 , 1/8 309 or machinery rod with you for extracting bolts.
Work on your bolt collection supply.

Cmark

Here's a tip that came up today with one of our guys;

Before you drive off in the service truck, check that you've shut all the toolbox doors........

chris_james

Before you drive off in the service truck, check that you've shut all the toolbox doors........

Indeed im bad about this. Or they will look shut I have to push the rod in and put a padlock on still sometimes they werent shut all the way start driving look at a mirror door open.

lantraxco

Seen that, door open and tools bouncing out on the freeway while the driver sips coffee like all was right with the universe.

As an addition, LOCK them anytime you walk away from the truck. I missed one once stopping for lunch and lunch cost me over a thousand dollars in lost tools.

Muffler Bearing

Occupation
Truck Mechanic
What a great thread! The perfect thing to read while I sat in the truck listening to a regen. Thanks! hmmm, I better add a tip, I premix all my different coolants into 2.5 gal DEF containers, then I don't have to deal with finding water when I need to top something up.

lantraxco

What a great thread! The perfect thing to read while I sat in the truck listening to a regen. Thanks! hmmm, I better add a tip, I premix all my different coolants into 2.5 gal DEF containers, then I don't have to deal with finding water when I need to top something up.

That's great, but no offense I hope you mark h*ll out of those containers, one shot of glycol in the DEF tank and it will be an ugly day indeed.

FSERVICE

yes always check the doors!! especially before you back the truck out of the shop!! I have saw this happen 2 different times over the years, its bad for the truck & really bad for the shop door & post on the building.. iv been very careful after I saw the bill for the building lucky it was not me on either of these mishaps!!! ;) I have had the door come open going around a corner tho!! u cant belive that much stuff can go that far in such a short time!!!

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Just re-reading this great thread and noticed one bit of advice about grinding with goggles instead of safety glasses. Good advice until recently as OSHA requires a full face shield for grinding. We had an incident a few years ago at a project where an employee using a 9" grinder caught the wheel and it broke sending a section of wheel thru his cheek and scarred his jaw good. A face shield would probably have saved him a lot of hurt.

lantraxco

I won't disagree with you about wearing a face shield, but they're not all that impenetrable. They will stop small fragments from drawing blood, which is better than just goggles or glasses.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I won't disagree with you about wearing a face shield, but they're not all that impenetrable. They will stop small fragments from drawing blood, which is better than just goggles or glasses.

Agreed. For sure they are not bullet proof, but when it is possible to wear one it offers a bit more protection and to reiterate the main reason for the post was to hopelully save someone from getting a OSHA citation.

ETER

I don't have any, but I have seen safety glasses that look like "low profiled" goggles and have the foam glasses to face seal. I think this style glasses and a face shield might offer the best protection for grinding operations since the grindings seem to be able to ricochet in behind regular glasses and a full face shield when you think they wouldn't.
Regards, Bob

lantraxco

Yep, those glasses with the seals are great. Worst issue I ever had was a tiny sliver of steel in one eye after laying under a light truck drilling holes while installing trailer wiring. Had goggles on the whole time thought I was bulletproof. Must have gotten in through the little air vent squares. Didn't even know it until the next day, by noon I was at the ER having it removed and the rusty spot around it dremel tooled to clean it up. Not an experience I would care to repeat.