• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Feds propose mandating pickup truck fuel economy up to 62 mpg

Scrub Puller

Yair...you said it JDOFMEMI. Five bucks a gallon will clarify the thinking. How FREE will you feel when the Roadhouse is out of fuel?
I have been an amateur oil watcher since we had boats tied up with no fuel in the 'seventies and I can tell you that in general the public have absolutely no idea of the oil supply situation.
Another ten years or so and we will be looking at our options...a couple of tankers burning in the Straights of Hormuz would make for some interesting conversation.
NOTHING can replace diesel fuel. It is the most convenient, safe, transportable and energy dense substance in our known universe and on principle is far too valuable to waste.

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
How FREE will you feel when the Roadhouse is out of fuel?

I'm still going to be just as free as before we have plenty of fuel at the yard. Then that dries up well I won't have to worry about going to work, so I won't have to dive much. I can hit up the guys that I know that make Bio diesel too. When thats gone I'm free to push my truck, ride a horse, ride a bike, or walk. My truck puts a smile on my face and will still do so when I'm paying $5 a gal.

I can here it now with me buddies have nuclear "Ya I upped the pressure in my pressure vessel from 2k PSI to 10K PSI and I can't even feel that 20K trailer any more."

Last edited:

Tiny

There is no justification for family cars of more than about 1.8 litres or pickups/work utes of over 2.5...that would go along way to reaching those CAFE numbers.

You had me thinking today.I cannot think of a US built car that I can afford that had that small of an engine it.Don't think I have ever seen one.Closest was a Sonoma pickup (small).Would not get out of its own way.

You have told us its non sense to have bigger engines but we ain't got any dinky ones.No reliable diesels that size at all in cars.

I don't do imports so thats out also.

Do you have any cars/trucks that are affordable getting 62 mpg?

Last edited:

Scrub Puller

Yair...Tiny I suppose its because there has never been a market for small efficient vehicles is the 'States. Your fuel is cheap and all you folks have grown up with big V8 powered vehicles being seen as "normal".

Had to laugh, I was talking to a feller from Montana the other day and he reckoned all our pickups were "two thirds life size".
No we dont have any pickups that will do 62 mpg, I reckon that is pretty much a B/S ambit claim. However, when the demand is there I have no doubt that American technology will come up with small displacement engines that will rival the Europeans

As I have said on other threads latest generation vehicles here are mostly 2.5 to 3litres and if driven carefully some will do 40 miles per U.S. gallon.
The volume sellers here in the so called "one ton" class are all Japanese, mostly made in Thailand. A couple of Indian and Chinese makes are out there but are not in any numbers yet.

Volkswagen have just announced a "conventional looking" one tonner and dualcab with a four cylinder, two litre, twin turbo engine. They reckon it goes like a train but man, all that complexity for a work truck.

All these comments pertain to diesel engines of course.