• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Feds propose mandating pickup truck fuel economy up to 62 mpg

CEwriter

Occupation
journalist
U.S. EPA and DOT began developing average fuel economy regulations for light trucks and cars that could raise corporate average fuel economy (CAFE) standards to 62 mpg by 2025. (OK, so in this scenario, pickups might be required to hit, say, 48 mpg.)

Actual regulation is more than a year away.

Follow the links to find out how to let the regulators know what you think.

http://bit.ly/afp48d

L

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
So, I guess there proposing installing pedals, sprockets, and chains so we can pedal our vehicle on the way to work huh? Good grief!

td25c

That would work ATCO.Only then they would change the standard from mpg (miles per gallon) to MPCB ( miles per cheesburger).:D

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
They will fuel them with unobtainium.

Autocar

Seems to me they get cheaper made every year , if they go that route if a fellow gets hit with a bumble bee it will put a dent in it. My wife bought a new SUV thats made over seas I went to change the oil filter and there was no way my hand could reach up to get it. So I took the torch and cut a hole though the inter fender well, never did tell her eather. ;)

D5G

Autocar, im suprised you needed a torch. These days you only need a pocketknife it seems....cheap cheap cheap....:Banghead:Banghead:Banghead

JDOFMEMI

I must have missed the announcement when they voted to repeal the laws of physics.

Either that, or our next generation pick ups will make the smart car look roomy.

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
Feds propose mandating pickup truck fuel economy up to 62 mpg:

So, I guess there proposing installing pedals, sprockets, and chains so we can pedal our vehicle on the way to work huh? Good grief!
Nope, no pedals... ain't gonna run on cheeseburgers either....

Won't need unobtainium, or bronto burgers for fuel....

OCR said:
Man, I'll make a million!!!

Told all you nay-sayers and scoffers, to buy in while you had the chance... but, nooooo... just laugh, laugh... :Banghead

So, just been storing it till needed... perseverance pays off, you know.

Well, off to seek my fortune, right here:↓

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/showthread.php?t=14558

Yup... won't be no pedalin' for me... :tong

OCR... :lmao

Last edited:

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
If it is possible and I'm sure it could be done just think what its going to cost for a new truck. Switching from from LSD to ULSD cost us $1 more a gal for diesel. Just imagine the the cost to R&D double and them the mileage of todays vehicles will be. Then add on all the safety test ETC and the massive problems that this new generation vehicle will have. No ones going to be buying new trucks any more and ya know there doing so well in sales right now too.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I've know a few who took trips on LSD but never left the farm.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
By God that's it!

OCR, you need LSD to make ur perpetual motion machine work! :lmao

Scrub Puller

Yair...I have to say it. You blokes don't seem to get it. Whether you kick or scream about it you are going to have to change.

There is no justification for family cars of more than about 1.8 litres or pickups/work utes of over 2.5...that would go along way to reaching those CAFE numbers.

Using a 7.3 double cab dualie as a daily ride is absolute over the top crap. Only in the Americas does such nonsense occur.

Tiny

Yair...I have to say it. You blokes don't seem to get it. Whether you kick or scream about it you are going to have to change.

There is no justification for family cars of more than about 1.8 litres or pickups/work utes of over 2.5...that would go along way to reaching those CAFE numbers.

Using a 7.3 double cab dualie as a daily ride is absolute over the top crap. Only in the Americas does such nonsense occur.

Missed again,this is NOT about one country or another , Its about an uncontrolled US government being in every nook and cranny of our lives.

Just one more Proposed deal that they are running up the flagpole.

BTW, Smallest car engine on my place is a weak kneed 3.4 (kids car )

wifes car is a 5.0
plow truck is a 6.6
one ton is a 5.7
mud truck will be 7.0 +
van is a 5.2

Scrub Puller

Yair...this is also about the fact that it is one world and the low oil light is blinking. That well that blew out in the Gulf of Mexico would have run the world for maybe thirty hours...they gonna hafta find one of them every couple of days to keep your big rigs thumping.

I want a little bit for my ute.

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
I must have miss the low oil light is that right next to the man made global warming control knob? Last I checked we're finding new oil reserves every day and know of more then enough to run the next 100 years just in Alaska alone. I do wish we would move away from oil though a nuclear mega cad dually would be bad ass.

The great thing about our country is that we are FREE to decide if we want to buy and big rig or a ute.

JDOFMEMI

Thats right. We are free to decide whether we wish to pay the premium to drive a big truck, or settle for the economy of a small one.
One thing is, we have a shortage of choice when it comes to buying a small, economical truck. The big manufacturers figured they don't make enough on them, and sales were not great, so there are few suitable small trucks here.
Used to be a Toyota or Ford Ranger, Chevy Luv, or the like could be used for economy. They have grown all of those trucks to be more mid sized and bigger, with similar capacity of the old time half ton trucks. They carry such a weight penalty with all the options stuck on them that you can't get good mileage for trying.

On the other hand, the auto makers build what they can sell, and few in this country want to buy an economy truck.

Another dose of $5.000 a gallon will change that though.

Plus, there is a steady demand for towing ability. People do with pickups now what used to take a mid sized commercial truck.

I pull a 16,000# trailer, so it takes a big truck to do it. Do I pull it everyday, No, but it is cheaper and easier to have one truck that will get it done than a small one that won't, and a big one that will.

Like Dozerboy said, bring on a mini nuke reactor to power our big rigs.

By the time oil runs out, there will be options. Until them, burn it if you can afford it.