• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Feds Demand 29 mpg Pickup Truck

stuvecorp

consumers won't buy them

That's bull, I would have one. The only reason they wouldn't sell would be if they were over priced.

I don't like the Fed's mandating this stuff but I also don't understand why a company wouldn't want to be first to market with a truck that could get half again better mileage compared to the other trucks on the market?

I get the Diesel Power magazine and there has been articles where moddified trucks are getting much better mileage but as for emissions who knows? I know we have creative people out there that can pull off wild stuff, let them go at it and I bet there would be much more progress than the Fed's heavy handed approach.

Speedpup

Occupation
President and all else that needs done!
price is a key factor in people buying something no? If companies can get all this mileage & reliability and still meet emissions I think they could sell their technology to a manufacturer.

The manufacturers also know what they have coming down the road so it may not be worth going diesel for light duty trucks.

Last edited:

surfer-joe

I don't know that not caring about fuel economy was or is a happy option for many pickup owners Larry. The simple fact is that those that have to have a pickup for work have not had any options. The diesels do provide some better economy, but we have to pay a price up front in purchase cost. Then, when you hook a trailer to the tail, the better economy goes away.

I'm sure that manufacturers are going to strive to meet the new regulations, just as I'm sure that the new model pickups will be cheaper quality vehicles, and far smaller than what we see now. Getting rid of the weight is the easiest road to follow, new technology takes long lead times and much research and development cost. Not that it is not doable, but consider that the best diesel pickup engine now made (GM Duramax) costs the consumer an additional $8,000.00 up front, with the total package in the area of $40-50,000.00. That's pretty high for working stiffs to afford. As all know, wages have certainly not crept up along with costs for those of us that use these trucks everyday in business or on the farm or ranch.

There is also the fact that some manufacturers may just elect to quit trying to meet ever changing and stiffer regulations. Caterpillar has already done this and I do not blame them. While it's a matter of competition to be sure, it does not help Americans when an American manufacturer says to hell with it and drops out. Lots of good jobs lost that way. Where do we stop government regulators and do-gooders? Not withstanding that environmentally, some good has come out of their efforts, but for the average American, the cost has been pretty high and it's getting worse by the day.

How about we mandate to the government that they can change nothing or ad new regulations for at least ten years? Let the market settle down and some stability be achieved. Things have been so crazy for the last twenty years that no one can put new policies in place before they have to make changes. It does not have to be that way! It's a big part of where this country is now!

landtekk

As far as diesels in light pickups in the US, I think it will happen if they cure the particulate problem. Or change the rules.
I hate the the regen in my 2008 3500, but I bought it despite the bad milage. The price I ended up paying for the basic truck that was offered was $28,000. But I have roll up windows and no fancy trim or wheels but all the drivetrain goodies including pto. Its a work truck.
I have got to the point that dependablity for a certain amount of years was more important than fuel milage. My 97 powerstroke which I kept as a backup cause it's its really not worth anything to sell but will do most everything my new truck will including suck at fuel milage when towing. It's just not as reliable anymore.
I don't see the the light truck changing a whole lot except they will be powered by gas or hybrid. The only manufactures that went full blown on diesels were american car makers because we money/credit here to pay. I want a truck for a least ten years without have to modify or repair it too often.
I'm pretty sure that ten years from now, the engines you see in light trucks and almost all vehicles will be smaller displacement,higher hp that will get much better fuel milage. The holy grail is producing as much power out of the existing fuel we have until something better comes along.
Engine computer controls that were pie in the sky 5 years ago are enabling engine makers to improve the forced induction tech way beyond what was expected. Vw has a 1.4 4cylinder that puts out 175 hp and close to 45 mpg.
It uses a supercharger/turbo setup that I'm sure raise the bar for all you hot rodders.

Getting the light duty segment of the vehicals to reach 29 mpg will be pretty easy in my opinion, because of how the mix of vehicals will be by then. The half ton market will be there by smaller.Ths suv and light truck comprised 50% of the light vehical ( anything under 14000 lbs) in 2004 and it been steadily dropping. The trend is that your big suvs are going away with smaller more fuel efficient car making up more of the mix. Daily drivers don't want the power if it sacrifices economy.I think fleet operators have always felt this way.
Rating the the fuel milage across the spectrum of all models skews it on way or another. Unless they change how they rate mpg the numbers, it should work in our favor . I think those in the know are aware of this.

My hd 3500 doesn't count nor does all the bigger stuff that makes up the construction business.
With the client base in my business changing it's really important that I have as much info on what work is going to be like five or ten years down the road.Thats why I consistantly come to this site.
I look forward to all opinions, so if someone says some thing I disagree with only makes me think a little harder. Infering doubt on someones opinion without supporting it with facts is disingenuos and is the reason we as Americans are confused. Maybe we can get some opinions from those in different parts of the world on how they see what the future will be and how they deal or not deal with emission problems and what it has cost there economy.;)

CEwriter

Occupation
journalist
Electric Power Steering Coming to Half-Ton Pickups

From TruckTrend.com

The full-size pickup will continue to be a mainstay of the Detroit 3's portfolios for some time to come, but as new fuel economy and emissions standards come into play, the trio need to find ways to make the large trucks more fuel efficient. One avenue may lie with electric power steering -- something commonly found on smaller vehicles, but rarely on big trucks.

Mike Richardson, vice president of engineering at steering supplier Nexteer, recently told PickupTrucks.com that he expects EPS systems to proliferate in half-ton full-size pickups.

"We expect that all three domestic manufacturers will converge to a 12-volt rack EPS architecture within the next three years or so," Richardson said.

Implementing EPS systems in full-size trucks models would be a relatively easy and inexpensive way for automakers to deliver an improvement in fuel economy. Standard hydraulic power steering systems all utilize a hydraulic pump, which is fed off the engine's accessory drive. The pump constantly saps power from the engine, making it much less efficient. An electric, system, utilizes a motor to amplify steering effort, and is only actuated once the driver begins to turn the wheel.

Nexteer says its EPS system, designed to handle the weight and abuse typically encountered with pickup trucks, can deliver up to a four-percent gain in fuel economy.

Read about EPS limitations, and which half-tons already have it, here

L

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The article sounded like a cheerleader with money in the venture. If you want to save fuel just do away with power steering altogether.

I never drove a truck with power steering until the late sixties. Why did it become necessary in the first place?