• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

favorite crane

boomguy

I know its just a boomtruck but this is my fav. It was new in this pic

Attachments

• kw yard 014.jpg
    kw yard 014.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 734

boomguy

And this one is our little toy, very handy when working in some of the old gas plants in the area.

Attachments

• Picture 030.jpg
    Picture 030.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 726

liebherr1160

Occupation
Crane Operator
unic ==== A man who lacks functional testicles, although the proper spelling is Eunuch,

boomguy

unic ==== A man who lacks functional testicles, although the proper spelling is Eunuch,

Lol liebherr i did not name it but when i see the money it makes at the end of the month it can be called whaaaat everrrrr it wants. Its 2 yrs old and the repair bill is 0 other than yearly inspections and service. Built in Japan its one well built machine.:tong

td25c

Cool cranes

:notworthyI like the looks of the Western Star /Manitex truck crane boomguy.And yes,the Unic rigg looks very handy for tight areas.I understand when all folded up they will fit trough most walk in doors. www.unic-cranes.co.uk/

boomguy

:notworthyI like the looks of the Western Star /Manitex truck crane boomguy.And yes,the Unic rigg looks very handy for tight areas.I understand when all folded up they will fit trough most walk in doors. www.unic-cranes.co.uk/

its 24" wide in transport mode we have walked it into our office before.
more and more companies are getting away from letting their employees lift anything heavy so that is where this thing works so well

td25c

its 24" wide in transport mode we have walked it into our office before.
more and more companies are getting away from letting their employees lift anything heavy so that is where this thing works so well

It sure looks like a handy rigg for working inside confined spaces.

liebherr1160

Occupation
Crane Operator
they are handy ..like everything else the right tool for the job ..Its not so much the tight spaces ..The more compact you make a unit ..the tighter the space somebody will dream up to put it in ..
The biggest advantage to the Lil' Unic is its foot print ..On a shut down in a major plant ..floor space and laneway real estate is at a premium ..These lil guy's get in a small man-way ..and go to work ..all the while ..fork trucks and other traffic are clear in the lane way ..which may otherwise be blocked or partially blocked by a Broderson ..or similar crane ..

cranedude07

I've only run a link belt RTC8050. It was pretty smooth running. A manitowoc 18000 would have to be my favorite crane

Linkbelt HC

Occupation
Instructing Mobile Crane Apprentices
Tickets and souch

I was wondering if we need a ticket for our unic mini crane? Some of the oil companys ask for it but i dont know if its required by law. It has a max capacity of 6200lbs

Hi;

Since your "little Unic fellow" is below 15 ton capacity, the short answer is no, a journeyman crane operator or apprentice is not required as the operator. Under Alberta OH & S Regs it is indeed a "competent" employee that may operate the machine. It would be the same training as a carrydeck, EOT or small yard crane operator would receive. It might not be "right" but... that is how the book reads. If you need to research it for your customers, Part 6 of OH &S is the Crane section and the 2nd Section of Alberta Industry Training refers to Mobile Cranes and lists the size of machines.

By the way what model is your Manitex? Did it come from NWC in Nisku?

boomguy

Hi;

Since your "little Unic fellow" is below 15 ton capacity, the short answer is no, a journeyman crane operator or apprentice is not required as the operator. Under Alberta OH & S Regs it is indeed a "competent" employee that may operate the machine. It would be the same training as a carrydeck, EOT or small yard crane operator would receive. It might not be "right" but... that is how the book reads. If you need to research it for your customers, Part 6 of OH &S is the Crane section and the 2nd Section of Alberta Industry Training refers to Mobile Cranes and lists the size of machines.

By the way what model is your Manitex? Did it come from NWC in Nisku?

Thanks Linkbelt, thats what i understood the law to be. And Yes the manitex is from NWC its a 4596.

liebherr1160

Occupation
Crane Operator
to read the book ..Its right ..and thats how it should be ..

Just dont forget ..nor dismiss that the site your on may require a journey person ticket ..Its their barbque,their rule's..Dont like our site rule's ..leave ..or have you removed ..its that simple really ..

The Union may contest it ..but..its site rules and a condition of employment upon coming onto site ..

You were saying some sites are asking for tickets ..was I right there Boomguy ?..

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Makes sense to me Liebherr. Everything is about legal liability nowdays. If a site stipulates that an operator have a ticket, by doing so the ticket confirms the site is getting a trained/qualified operator. If an incident occors, the operator would carry the burden of liability more than the site operator. That's the way I see it anyway.

boomguy

to read the book ..Its right ..and thats how it should be ..

Just dont forget ..nor dismiss that the site your on may require a journey person ticket ..Its their barbque,their rule's..Dont like our site rule's ..leave ..or have you removed ..its that simple really ..

The Union may contest it ..but..its site rules and a condition of employment upon coming onto site ..

You were saying some sites are asking for tickets ..was I right there Boomguy ?..

Very much so, Talisman,Shell,Suncor and Conoco are the 4 main ones it works for and all of them require hoisting tickets or at least be an apprentice.

Linkbelt HC

Occupation
tickets and qualifications

Hey all;

Don't take me the wrong way. I support formal training and experience way more than allowing any of the other trades into a machine.:) However, the problem develops when you ask an apprentice to operate a smaller machine for less cash when everyone wants to be in or near the big hook!

Now, when it comes to a request for a ticketed operator to be present, what type of ticket would be appropriate?? If the machine has 6000lbs of capacity would a ticket issued by a Training Institute (there are two in Alberta) that gave a several day course be sufficient? This would be similar to a qualification for forklift or skidsteer or even rigging that is reverified every couple of years.

Some of the companies that you have mentioned also require the mobile crane operators to be Red Seal qualified. Now most of us realize there is very little difference once an apprentice has completed their final year exam and practical evaluation, other than completing another exam. So, I guess I have to wonder where does the ticket saga end.... Or, begin for that matter.

Just my $0.02

liebherr1160

Occupation
Crane Operator
The ticket starts and ends with Liability ..

I'm a red seal op myself ..the guy holding an Alberta license after the apprenticeship ..by and large we're both equal ..To answer your question is simple ..It depends on who's sitting in an office dreaming up safer ways to get a simple task done ..If its the policy of the site to have ticketed operators ..journeyman or equivalent ..then there's no argument ..

The crane and forklift ..will never be put in the same catagory ..simply because "cable running over a Sheave" is what makes a crane ....(dont tell the boom truck guys i said that )
There are booms for Telescopic forlifts that have a winch on it and the cable runs over a sheave ..its now a crane ..Ive had that argument with the fitter's and won .. took a 1/2 hr .. in another province

But what shouldn't be done..Is if you have had the same guys on site ..who have developed a re-pore ..and with the FLRA ..there's written record of good operating ability 100's of times over ,to change the rules and send them down the road ..that's wrong ..

An oportunity to garnish the appropriate paper work should be allowed ..and a time frame set ..Minimum 1yr ..Or on a case by case basis ..

Linkbelt HC Im not trying to argue ..or be insulting ..I see this as good conversation ..

Linkbelt HC

Occupation
Tickets and Qualification

The ticket starts and ends with Liability ..

Linkbelt HC Im not trying to argue ..or be insulting ..I see this as good conversation ..

Hey;

No worries, I am a huge proponent of formal Institute training and credible evaluations prior to the issuing of tickets. I am a Red Seal Operator with experience in two provinces and with the Cdn Army. I agree that "any and all hoisting" devices require more than a weekend of training. It amazes me that because a winch on a Zoom Boom or "Tele Handler" jib is under 2000kgs that any labourer on a worksite can hop in the cab. :eek: The same holds true for a lineman running a pole truck...
However, I also know that Industry will holler Blue Murder if every operator was mandated to go back to school. BC is having tremendous difficulties addressing it's licensing woes. It is also interesting that our trade for all of the training and regulations does not hold a list of operators with poor reputations.:confused: The other issue I find troublesome when we start discussing liability, is that once an operator has reached journeyman status, there is no "advanced" or "senior" crane operator training available. (Yes, OETIO has crane operator refresher training and most independent places have extra load chart courses available but it is not the same) I am pretty sure you have been doing this for awhile..I've been at it since '94, and I still learn something new on a regular basis. :) I believe that every operator when he arrives on site better do his/her best to follow the "Due Dilligence" guidleines from OH &S. I also think that our Industry needs to conduct another cross country review similar to the 2006 Red Seal meeting to discuss many of the training issues.
But hey that's just my $0.02.