• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Fast glimpse, Tar tanker (trailer) with a tag (pulled up) on the interstate.

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
Coming the other way, spotted in the rear view mirror.

Looked to be New, clean tar tank trailer, super singles, and one
of rear axles was pulled up off the pavement (as a tag axle would)

Did I see correctly ?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Wouldn't be unusual in Europe. It's not uncommon here to see tri-axle semi-trailers equipped with not one but two tag axles. Usually one axle is set to come down to the road before the other as the trailer axle load increases, so even if the trailer was loaded (but not up to full GVW) it might be running with one tag axle in the air.

hvy 1ton

Lift axles are getting pretty common with any cargo that doesn't get back hauls. Last fall i saw a cattle truck that in dodge city that had 1 lift 1 drive on the truck and 2 lifts on the tri trailer. That was a little shocking.

JDOFMEMI

A lot of trailers are set up to be able to raise one axle when empty to save tire wear.

lantraxco

Everything's about efficiency these days, even with super singles pulling one axle up not only reduces friction drag, it probably helps the aerodynamics a bit.

Fruitliner just announced they've achieved 12 mpg for a highway tractor... considering we were happy with anything over 5 back when I was driving, that's amazing!

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Some of the tandem axle dry cement tankers around here have a lift axle on the closest axle to the truck.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Everything's about efficiency these days, even with super singles pulling one axle up not only reduces friction drag, it probably helps the aerodynamics a bit.

Fruitliner just announced they've achieved 12 mpg for a highway tractor... considering we were happy with anything over 5 back when I was driving, that's amazing!

Heck I can remember more than a few cars and pick-ups that would be lucky to do that "back in the day"!

lantraxco

I had an uncle drove a 3/4 ton standard cab GMC with a 454 auto... 8 mpg empty, 8 mpg loaded to the tire limit, didn't matter.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
I had an uncle drove a 3/4 ton standard cab GMC with a 454 auto... 8 mpg empty, 8 mpg loaded to the tire limit, didn't matter.

My '13 6.7 get's 13 empty and 13 loaded. 11 if I'm pulling a trailer.

lantraxco

My '13 6.7 get's 13 empty and 13 loaded. 11 if I'm pulling a trailer.

That's terrible. My dad's 97 two wheel drive dodge dually with the Cummins 5.7 and five speed still gets 20-21 highway with a quarter million miles on it. My 97 when I had it, same rig except 4X4 with oversize tires and a tiny bit of tuning ran 17-18 highway and 15 pulling a triple axle gooseneck loaded.

Progress?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I figured as such but seeing how it was a standard 2 axle set up, odd to see one up.
And only one on the road.

We also don't get triple trailers thru here either.
Triple axle trailers are common in Europe, simply for GVW reasons. A truck can weigh up to 44 tonnes (97,000 pounds) GVW on six axles, or 38 tonnes (84,000 pounds) on five. So a 3-axle tractor (usually one of the rears is a tag) plus a triple axle trailer are very common. Also using the tags has the advantage that when you're running empty the braking is far better because you have more load on the wheels that are actually in contact with the road.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
That's terrible. My dad's 97 two wheel drive dodge dually with the Cummins 5.7 and five speed still gets 20-21 highway with a quarter million miles on it. My 97 when I had it, same rig except 4X4 with oversize tires and a tiny bit of tuning ran 17-18 highway and 15 pulling a triple axle gooseneck loaded.

Progress?

Only in HP and torque. Then again I do have a lead foot..

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
Triple axle trailers are common in Europe, simply for GVW reasons. A truck can weigh up to 44 tonnes (97,000 pounds) GVW on six axles, or 38 tonnes (84,000 pounds) on five. So a 3-axle tractor (usually one of the rears is a tag) plus a triple axle trailer are very common. Also using the tags has the advantage that when you're running empty the braking is far better because you have more load on the wheels that are actually in contact with the road.

Nige, triple as in (3) separate trailers behind one tractor. They are over the border in Ohio (20 miles away) but not allowed
in Pennsylvania. Used to be no doubles here, I knew a couple of drivers employed to just the drive the 40 miles thru Pa on I-90 from Ohio
to New York (both allowed doubles) ferrying doubles that had been split down to singles.

Last edited:

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer

" A ton of freight, 450 miles, on one gallon of fuel"....gee now where did I hear that...?

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
Sorry, I should have explained it more clearly. A 3-axle trailer behind a 3-axle tractor unit. You can see from the photo the centre axle on the tractor is a tag plus also the front and rear axles of the trailer.

No your description was fine, seen many, I was the vague one.

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
What I don't get is the little "7k" axles they are putting on some end dumps here. I don't recall if that weight is right or not for sure. But there is a dirt pit here that has Aluminum end dumps with 3 axles on them, but the 3rd is a little single tire drop axle. I think the driver said it was only worth 7k, but I could be wrong.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk