• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Fast glimpse, Tar tanker (trailer) with a tag (pulled up) on the interstate.

hvy 1ton

What I don't get is the little "7k" axles they are putting on some end dumps here. I don't recall if that weight is right or not for sure. But there is a dirt pit here that has Aluminum end dumps with 3 axles on them, but the 3rd is a little single tire drop axle. I think the driver said it was only worth 7k, but I could be wrong.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Good to see you again DB. If they are short trailers it's probably for bridge law stuff. If not, not the difference between tandem/tri in most states is 6-8k so that all the third axle needs to carry.

Old Doug

I dont under stand why more trucks dont have tag axles instead of 2 drive axles? Alot of trucks could get by with a tag if the driver was trained how to use it. I think i know now.

lantraxco

I dont under stand why more trucks dont have tag axles instead of 2 drive axles? Alot of trucks could get by with a tag if the driver was trained how to use it. I think i know now.

There used to be a lot of fleet tractors with tags, and some rather ingenious models where the tag nested in behind the drive axle rigidly when towing say a 40 footer, and the tag came away from the tractor for use as the dolly when pulling doubles. There were two fifth wheels. Slick.

I think the reason you don't see more of it here is the variety of road surfaces and inclement weather where you need all four pulling, tire wear, and given the big power engines in favor, you need a really big single axle to handle the torque. Used to drive single screw day cab cabovers running 350-375 Cummins, the pumpkin in those axles was huge. Think about putting 650hp to the ground on one axle with duals, how long would the tires hold up?

Old Doug

There used to be a lot of fleet tractors with tags, and some rather ingenious models where the tag nested in behind the drive axle rigidly when towing say a 40 footer, and the tag came away from the tractor for use as the dolly when pulling doubles. There were two fifth wheels. Slick.

I saw a IH truck that was set up for this. I didnt know why you would need a pintil hitch down in front of the fifth wheel. I am always looking at trucks going down the road and i had never saw one before that one and that was last year.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
At a dirt pit we were loading out of this week the guy had two old cabovers - A GMC and a Chevy. I think it was the GMC that had one drive axle and what looked like a factory rear drop axle with air bags.

All I can say is the men that drove those trucks were real truck drivers..:cool2