• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Falling Scrap Iron prices

Old Doug

I was surprised that there wasn't much of a pile at all when I hauled my load Tuesday. They probably just sold it off and trucked it out, but I don't think I've ever seen their pile so small.
I dont know if they got a price locked in or are going to save it till it gos back up. It never went well when i stock piled it.

IceHole

I just throw my scrap in the trash.

In case your wondering, the bottom of those wheel bins can and will fall out if you put several hundred lbs of semi truck leaf springs in it

Truck Shop

I can't wait to see this nasty pile/piles of crap a friend owns scrapped, his place is just a mess.
Old logging arches, piles and piles of old axle housings, frames just nothing but junk and a
eye-sore--Those old KW's--there isn't enough good pieces to even make one. I want to be
there videoing when those go--most of those are so rotten the paint is holding the metal together.
It will take a solid 6 months to a year to clean it up, unless a shear is brought in.
006.JPG008.JPG001.JPG

IceHole

I can't wait to see this nasty pile/piles of crap a friend owns scrapped, his place is just a mess.
Old logging arches, piles and piles of old axle housings, frames just nothing but junk and a
eye-sore--Those old KW's--there isn't enough good pieces to even make one. I want to be
there videoing when those go--most of those are so rotten the paint is holding the metal together.
It will take a solid 6 months to a year to clean it up, unless a shear is brought in.
View attachment 307329View attachment 307330View attachment 307331
I could use a set of log bunks for a log truck I have
Previous owner just stacked what would stay i guess. Had a flatbed they never bothered to attach to the frame

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I just throw my scrap in the trash.

In case your wondering, the bottom of those wheel bins can and will fall out if you put several hundred lbs of semi truck leaf springs in it
I did that once, the bottom of the bin did not fall out, but the crash it made when it hit the inside of the garbage truck was tremendous. He must have been empty when he tipped them in over the top.

IceHole

I did that once, the bottom of the bin did not fall out, but the crash it made when it hit the inside of the garbage truck was tremendous. He must have been empty when he tipped them in over the top.
We threw an old Cummins 220 block in the dumpster. Same deal. Probably dented the floor of the truck. Whoops

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Had the grandiose honor to unlock a Compactor blade in a Leach body, was bound up on a small pile of engine valves from a trash can. Lovely day at the dump.

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
View attachment 307329View attachment 307330View attachment 307331
Rust museum.

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
Had the grandiose honor to unlock a Compactor blade in a Leach body, was bound up on a small pile of engine valves from a trash can. Lovely day at the dump.
Same, but was McNeilus body, piece of rebar stuck between the blade and the body with a big hunk of pointy concrete attached was tearing a hole in fairly new truck. Had to exit landfill back to shop, cutting torch and loader chained to blade remedied that mess. New equipment manager not impressed. :rolleyes:

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
We used a shove dozer in the Dump as truck was Gate end up and around half exited, used a old utility pole to dislodge the damn packer/discharge blade then proceeded to wade thru nasty land to clear the disaster.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Garbage, old rank pieces of molding whatever, even restaurant dumpsters that smelled like puke. The one that always got me were when had mounds of disposable diapers. Could work up a good heave from those nearly every time!!