• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Falling Scrap Iron prices

Old Doug

Yesterday i hauled a small load of dirty stainless steel . It would have all fit in a pickup but i had it loaded in a small trailer. It was the kind of stuff that you wonder if you should just throw it on a load of shred and forget about it. I had planned on hauling it because i had to go close buy the scrap yard anyway . I thought if i got my gas money back that would be ok but to my surprise i got close to $400.00 i was happy with that. I almost have a load of shred loaded i may work on that today.

Old Doug

About the same size here for #2 prepared . I think one time i had a guy at the yard say some stuff i had was big but they took it anyway. We are always thinking and talking "Is it worth cutting up" When i was really into scrap i would throw stuff that could go as is in a pile and i also cut up alot of stuff . The last pile i had was over 20 tons and was in the way. Then that stuff about has to be hand loaded into the loader bucket it will not scoop up very good. Every time i mess with it i think never agin it was more money but it wasnt worth it for the work. It takes a lot of cuts to make a ton but i will probably try it agin sometime.

Old Doug

The scrap business is not always easy to figure out to many what should i do and when should i do it. How much time and money can i spend on this pile of scrap? Is it worth it to process this pile and make #2 out of it? What is the best way to haul it and how much can i spend on trailers? Some times i think i could have been rich if i could have found the right answers .

Old Doug

I hauled a load of shred last weekend and got $160.00 a ton. It has rained some and holidays will make it tuff to get more hauled . I could haul some aluminum i would haul it with my pickup and trailer but my pickup clutch is slipping i need to work on that now.

Old Doug

I hauled a load of cars and got $165.00 a ton today. It was very cold today and i didnt know if the scrap yard would have anything started. I didnt have the best trip a lot of traffic and i had problems keeping my chains and straps tight . I got very concerned and said a prayer about the way i had some stuff loaded . It was one of those loads where I should have known better and now I do.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I got very concerned and said a prayer about the way i had some stuff loaded . It was one of those loads where I should have known better and now I do.

Yeah OD I think we've all had one of those loads. One time we decided to move a 321CLCR with hydro thumb, QC and 48" bucket on our 54K tag trailer. It was early on Saturday morning and only a few miles...

I was following in a pickup behind the tandem dump and when the combo took the first right turn I could feel the trailer stress. At that time I made a real and serious prayer to our Lord and Savior that if he would just see us morons to our location I would never, ever do that again. We made it to our destination safely. The Lord held up his end of the bargain and I will hold up my end until the day I go in the ground. :)

Old Doug

I hauled a big load of cars Saturday . I got back and thought i would drag out a grain truck to haul off sometime. I ended up getting it ready and loaded. I have got several things hauled off. I thought i would slow down on Dad's stuff and work on my get rid of pile. I think one or two more loads and i will have my stuff under control.

Old Doug

One day at a time Doug. It's like eating an elephant - one bite at a time. :)
Your write . Also I have been jumping around taking a bit here and there that may get the elephant gone but it makes a mess. I keep thinking this deal should have come with an instruction manual or i should have read a book on how to do it. I think 1 or 2 more loads will make a big difference . In the future i hope i am smart enough i dont save back stuff like i have. I have several good friends that have stuff and if they could would save more just dont have the room. Its hard to talk to them when they talk about wishing or needing something they got rid of. I am not that way i just think about what they will leave some one to deal with someday.

Old Doug

Hauled the truck today i heard the price had dropped. I got $145.00 a ton $20.00 less than the last load. Next week i have to go to a buddys place and haul a load. I am not saving it till the price gos up. If it does like it does most of the time it will drop more.

colson04

I don't know what scrap price is, but I'm hauling a load off next week. Hauling off my scrap has been on my to do list for too long. I've got a partial load on my dump trailer from a barn I finished. I'm going to load the rest this afternoon and haul off tomorrow morning to be rid of it.

Old Doug

I dont think i ever met so many loads when i left the yard Saturday. Makes me wonder if it isnt going to take a big drop ? I will keep hauling at least the shred stuff as long as i get something out of it.

Old Doug

I went yesterday afternoon and got this load . I hope to haul it off in the morning. I really am trying not to haul a lot for other people but things happen.

Attachments

• IMG_20240305_182133.jpg
    IMG_20240305_182133.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 29

colson04

The price dropped another $5.00 . They have a big pile were i have been hauling to.
I was surprised that there wasn't much of a pile at all when I hauled my load Tuesday. They probably just sold it off and trucked it out, but I don't think I've ever seen their pile so small.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I am going Next week and empty the load on my 16' trailer, is all Tins rate and will be pretty low. Do have the Aluminum Scraps from the KW and the old wheels from the Ford, as well a Bucket of Aluminum odds and ends housings. No copper at this time.