1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Face Shield Face shield

Discussion in 'Safety Issues' started by Old Doug, May 1, 2021.

1. Old Doug

Old Doug Senior Member

I was diegrinding some brass had my safty glasses on tonight. picture (89).png I called a buddy that works in the er at night he said if i could go to the eye doc i called they had a emegince number talk to doc sent picture he said it would be ok but he is going to look at it 8:00 am. Scared the crap out of me.

DMiller likes this.
  2. lantraxco

lantraxco Senior Member

That's ugly! Hope you come out of it okay! I agree, lots of times it would be much better to use a full face shield, AND glasses.

DMiller likes this.
  3. Old Doug

Old Doug Senior Member

I have to learn the hard way. It dosent hurt today and my vision seems to be about the same. picture (91).png

DMiller likes this.
  4. Vetech63

Vetech63 Senior Member

:eek: DAM MAN! You could start in the next Exorcist movie. Heel Up before you scare the children!;):p

DMiller, John C. and Old Doug like this.
  5. doublewide

doublewide Senior Member

Oh man, hope you’re gonna be ok! Tinkerer is gonna be all over this one!

DMiller likes this.
  6. Old Doug

Old Doug Senior Member

I saw the eye Doctor he looked it over put die in it looked at it some more and said it will be ok. I am in the market for some kind of goggles.

DMiller and lantraxco like this.
  7. Tones

Tones Senior Member

Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
    Non ferrous metal in the eyes is a huge bugger and darn hard to remove. Ferrous metal is bad enough but you have to get removed quickly because it rusts. BTDT with both and have permanent scar tissue on the lens.

DMiller likes this.
  8. Vetech63

Vetech63 Senior Member

Get a pair of these my friend
    A1B867F1-3AC6-4ED7-8A36-297284A9E603.jpeg

9. old-iron-habit

old-iron-habit Senior Member

Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
    Goggles do a decent job on the eyes but are not enough protection for most grinding operations. A full length face shield is cheap, and offers the best protection and helps protect the throat if a cutting or grinding wheel explodes. I've posted before about the young man that died in Eau Claire, Wisconsin a few years ago when a disc exploded and stuck him in the throat cutting his juggler vein. He never had a chance. That full length $25.00 face shield with extra lens is very cheap insurance.

DMiller and aighead like this.
  10. lantraxco

lantraxco Senior Member

Only time I had a doctor take a magnet and die grinder to my eye, literally, I had been drilling to install a trailer hitch and wiring underneath a pickup. Wearing goggles. Didn't know or feel a thing until the next morning, by lunch time I was down to one eye, with the affected one weeping constantly, and I headed for the ER. Goggles may not be the answer.

DMiller likes this.
  11. crane operator

crane operator Senior Member

I've had a eye doc pull steel out of my eye once, and I once did it myself with a magnet. I'm a slow learner. I wear a face shield at the shop, but sometimes just run with my safety glasses, when I'm in a hurry and being stupid. Posts like this help remind me.

The non magnetic is going to make it a pain to get out doug, good luck. Hope you don't have any vision loss, I think Dmiller has some permanent loss from a eye accident.

DMiller likes this.
  12. Old Doug

Old Doug Senior Member

It didnt stay in my eye and it was only in the white. I got a pair of goggles so when i am die grinding i will wear them with the face shield. I need to think more about what is going on the die grinder is the worst its like being in a snow storm.

DMiller likes this.
  13. petepilot

petepilot Senior Member

doug . you just convinced me to go get a full shield . I had a disc disintegrate yesterday afternoon`none of it hit me but sure surprised me 4.5" cutting wheel new never used. hope that eye turns out ok

DMiller, Old Doug and colson04 like this.
  14. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    I think die grinders are the worst for throwing off 50,000 miniature knives a second. It seems like every time I work with one, I have fifty or more little porcupine quills working their way into my hands. I can only imagine how bad it would be with little pieces of brass or copper stuck in an eye ball.

Heal up quick!

DMiller likes this.
  15. aighead

aighead Senior Member

Hope you are ok @Old Doug that looks terrible! There is a great full face shield on Cramazon, 21 bucks, that doesn't fog up and works beautifully. I've been very pleased with it but luckily it hasn't really been tested on me.

DMiller likes this.
  16. Old Doug

Old Doug Senior Member

A buddy of mine came by and gave me 4 shields its looking alot better. IMG_20210511_174150.jpg