• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

excessive productivity of excavators?

lonkinggroup

Just according to the present status of China excavator industry, we could see serious problem. It has been a "red sea" full of unreasonable competition. Since excavators are very profitable, many manufacturers flooded into the industry. In 2011, the productivity of excavators in China reached 60,000units, while only 30,000 units were sold in that year, while means what China can produce in a year could supply the whole world for 2 years.
The above was what i have learned in China market, what about in your area?

Huntoon

Occupation
Sales Engineer. I design OEM tracked undercarriage
Why would Chinese MFG's build thousands more excavators than they plan to sell? Or perhaps a more telling question is 'how' can they build so many without the customer base? A functioning market would inform the manufacturers to produces less... Maybe there was a 'visible' hand in this equation that is making this competition "unreasonable".

JGS Parts

Occupation
Owner JGS Machinery
well lonking you guys are an excavator manufacture why are you asking us are you not just part of the problem you are talking about??????

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
30k units anually, maybe if you stuck to builting a quality machine of quality components and workmanship you could sell more excavators.

Seriously I think that cat sells more of one model in a given year than your total production. Why, cause its a quality machine that provides the buyers with years of depandable service and return on investment. Until you understand that when someone is spending a 1/4 mil on something that it better work, and work right for a very long time, you will never be more than a minor anoyance to the market.

greggn

Occupation
sandstone quarrier
30k units anually, maybe if you stuck to builting a quality machine of quality components and workmanship you could sell more excavators.

Seriously I think that cat sells more of one model in a given year than your total production. Why, cause its a quality machine that provides the buyers with years of depandable service and return on investment. Until you understand that when someone is spending a 1/4 mil on something that it better work, and work right for a very long time, you will never be more than a minor anoyance to the market.
BRAVO:notworthy

Ryanrb25

I dont see the point in this thread. So you've got 30,000 excavators sitting there rusting away? That have cost money to manufacture!?! I see little to no demand for Chinese machines here in Australia. Far more reputable manufactures to choose from. Komatsu, Volvo, Sumitomo, Cat.....The list goes on. I'd like to think the blokes who operate, Purchase these machines know better by now that a manufacturer with years of loyalty to it's customers, quality of product and after sales support, Parts etc is far more important than saving a few bucks on the initial cost of the product.

Skid Shear

When I saw the title of the post, I thought that is was discussing excavators that were overly productive and wondered how that could be....I've never had a piece of equipment be more productive that it should be...y'all?

Hendrik

When I saw the title of the post, I thought that is was discussing excavators that were overly productive and wondered how that could be....I've never had a piece of equipment be more productive that it should be...y'all?
Well if you put the 'big' bucket on the machine...........

Anyway I think this can be broken down into mind sets, I don't want to generalise but in some parts of the world machines are bought, used, abused and then scrapped, whereas in other parts of the world machines are bought, maintained, rebuild and then traded in on a newy.
The worry is that the throw away way of thinking is spreading.

xcmark

Occupation
construction
its really is sad that we as a leader in the world cant build and sell everything we need to sustain our existance, go out and try to buy clothes that are made here in the USA. Good luck your not going to be able to find 7 days worth of clothes that are not all the same. I will never buy a product made in china if I can find it made on our own soil , cost really isnt a big consern. The quaility of the products made in china are so sub standard and for the most part dont last even 1/2 as long as domestic built products. Not even going to talk about how the chinease love to reverse design 80% ~ 90% of there product but use poor quality base stock and machineing that exactly good quality or exact to spec.

rant over!

Huntoon

Occupation
Sales Engineer. I design OEM tracked undercarriage
There's nothing "sad" about global trade. It has been a feature for millennia. The Silk Road and even the discovery of America by Columbus were intended for trade between the West and Asia.

And forget about China for a second. Would you buy something like a Swiss made watch? Or how about Dutch Chocolate? Or maybe an Italian car? Oh my god! They are made by foreigners!

Here's how to decide whether to buy a product: When the product meets your needs at the best combination of price, quality, and features.