• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Excavator question

Kev1481

How many of you think that the excavator should be parked a little offset so you can easily get into the cab?
Or Should you keep it straight so you can access around the machine?

Welder Dave

What ever makes it easier to get in and out. A certain position may make it easier to grab a hand rail to help pull yourself up or there's a step on the track frame.

Jimothy

Occupation
Digger
depending on size of the machine I would want to be able to grab at least one handle above me. And try to think about the next guy I’m tall and skinny some things are easy for me. We had one guy who was 400 ish pounds and often times he would just park beside a pile of stone or dirt so when he fell out he didn’t have to fall as far. In the words of Metallica …sad but true :(

Syleng1

Occupation
Welder- farmer
I've got a 120-2 and it is easier for me (50's with bad knees) to turn the cab slightly to the right to expose a bit more track for entering and exiting. But when the tracks are "Bon Jovi" I park it straight on.

SN: "Bon Jovi" means Slippery when wet. Showing my age there.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Any machine small enough to step on the track, I'll cant to the side, but larger machines, even then I'll leave enough of the track out to step on. If I get out of the grader with it running, I step on the moldboard and use it as an elevator to get out and in.

skyking1

pretty much straight on with most machines, as the track is just another step and I go up and down facing the machine. Kicking it one way makes fueling it and checking the oil a bit precarious on the other side.