• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Excavator for George Jetson

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
So why even bother with the operator? Whole thing looks pretty impractical to me. Oh ya, can you imagine what it would cost to build?

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I was thinking the same thing Greg. With an elaborate laser system, you'd think the machine could dig on it's own with some pre-programming.

rino1494

Boy, that would be a PITA getting in and out of the machine to shovel when trying to find a pipe.

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
Hey, I admit that you have to think outside of the box to be creative but that thing is a joke. The undercarriage is impracticle, the boom will be a fortune to build over a convential box type and the cab is a joke. But, why would you need a cab when the thing can run itself?

steponmebbbboom

that video was created for investors who run like cattle toward shiny things and run away from scary things, not operators, contractors or mechanics who actually have a clue about excavators.

maddog

what good is that? when are they going to come up with something you can operate from the living room? :)

esobofh

Occupation
Senior Business Analyst
Too much negativity here!

This is just a look at possibilities.. not a future design. All-in-all, very interesting.

An all glass cab like this would be great for visibility, but not very practicle in reality. I like that it can move up and down - it's very similar to forestry excavators or the types you see in wrecking yards that move up to see over large piles of scrap metal.

The tracks are interesting - alot could be done here but as was mentioned before, probably too much expense to justify.

the moveable counter weight is great, and the lasers could be used to show you your surroundings and even the dimensions of a hole you are in! A system like that that was high-mounted that could automatically read and display grades would be fantastic.

Excellent design thinking here.. in terms of the boom design, you never know what can become economical when forward thinking is applied.. it may look un-doable, but could prove to be quite useful (enclosed hydraulic lines, etc). and, material sciences are always advancing.

I say Bravo Volvo.. keep it coming!

Arabhacks

Banned
Occupation
Underemplyed Operator
Tracks and such.

Hello.

Not only are the tracks doable, it is already being done.
The extending cab, already here, just not with all that glass.
Remote control, yup.
Laser rangefinding and object detection? you bet.
Color changing paint job? expensive as hell, but here.
Movable counterweight?
Nearly everything that was shown, including the skin-tight suit, is already here in one form or fashion.
Just not in a excavator.
And, yes, I think I will skip on the suit. :D

esobofh

Occupation
Senior Business Analyst
Yeah.. i saw a video of a small machine that had a moveable counter weight, so that's already here too.

Can't understand what use changing the exterior colour would be... I guess if you had 5 of these machines working together, and you wanted to know who was where..?

AllMtnConst.

Occupation
Self Employed

Attachments

• S2-6er-1_01.jpg
    S2-6er-1_01.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 866
  • S3-Track-6er-3.jpg
    S3-Track-6er-3.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 815
  • S3-Track-6er-6.jpg
    S3-Track-6er-6.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 929
  • IMG_2603.jpg
    IMG_2603.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 4,372

heavytorching

Occupation
heavy torching/scrap steel processing
not very practicle for demolition where demo guards are needed,looks like quite a jump for the driver after he's loaded it on the low-boy, all-in-all still looks neat and im sure it would be nice for some site's not any of mine though!

watglen

Occupation
Farmer, drainage and excavating contractor, Farm d
I would love the object detection for rear of the house, it would save a ton of paint and sheet metal.

Case IH quadtracs have rubber tracks and manage road speeds well. I still think the same capability would move to an excavator.