• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Excavator cracks around grease bath drain

Brettbidstrup

Hi, I’ve just purchased a 2nd hand Hyundai r320 and it’s got some bad cracks around the grease drain under the machine. The grease looks new and the ring gear looks new and the deflection on the bearing is well within spec (thankfully), so I’m guessing it’s been changed recently (it’s done 9000hrs) but if has a crack that’s been welded around the drain and I don’t know what would cause that? If anyone had an idea? Terrible crack to wed with grease coming through, so guessing the did a crap job initially and now I have to do it again. Any ideas of why, that would be great

Attachments

• 9AEDB978-E1AA-4C2F-BE50-1B382717AD3B.jpeg
    9AEDB978-E1AA-4C2F-BE50-1B382717AD3B.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 67

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Stamped steel pans are never a good thing to put heat on. Clean it as best as you can and use an epoxy to try to seal it up.

Brettbidstrup

Have you seen this before? What could cause this cracking? Obviously epoxy isn't going to structurally hold it together, so I should just monitor and make sure it doesn't continue to crack?
Cheers

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The pan is only a tub that holds grease. It isn’t a structural member. I haven’t seen them crack before but have seen them damaged when a swing bearing was replaced. It should have been replaced at that time.