• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

EV

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Well reality is settling in here among those that considered EV as the ONLY Climate Change Savior. Losing close to 10,000mw production here in two to three years max, No Nukes, No CTGs, nothing of sense, Solar and Wind Generation as well Screaming for MORE Hydro yet these are the same Morons said Save the Snail Darter and Stopped the Meramec River Hydro projects and whined to all the Top Gubmint types to STOP Taum Sauk Pumped Storage Rebuild. Cannot Have it both ways.

Wind has been Maximized in NW MO as that is about the ONLY optimal location for these, are now losing generators weekly to Blading damage out of balance failures. Nearly everything including sunlight degrades the blades in less than 15 years with some degraded beyond use in 10 and the Dump sites are filling fast. Generation there peaked at just over 2000mw around two years ago, is down to 135x with only right at 300 in the pipeline. Obsolescence is also sneaking in under the cloak of ignorance where nearly all in service today are already obsolete for repair or rebuild parts. Speed on a Wind System repair is Utmost Importance. Will not ever replace retired Coal Stations with strictly Wind and Solar. EVs here are expensive to buy, maintain and recharge, good luck to those relying on them.

Camshawn

Occupation
retired
I bought a Stihl battery lawnmower last fall. I will buy an electric power head for my garden equipment when the current power head dies. They share the same battery platform. My shop battery tools are Milwaukee and they did not have a lawn mower when I bought the Stihl. Only used it a couple of times last fall. Just waiting for the grass to grow long enough to try it out. Cam

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
You guys have short memories. The Detroit Electric Model D was at the forefront of noiseless, fumeless transport in 1910. And no starting hassles, either.

The Anderson company built 13,000 electric cars between 1907 and 1939. They might have become a real force in transport if they had had access to funding for EV development.

380892468_10160992422570218_5692982909928339588_n.jpg

And then there was this .... in 1943.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
New improved lithium batteries with better cold-weathe abilities will soon increase EV performance. It took about 40 years for IC engines to go from pop-popping, leaking, hard-starting, low performance P'sOS, to a reasonable level of performance.

It will take another 20 years before battery power can offer real competition, based on both price and performance, but it will happen.

Battery-powered hand tools are taking over from grid-power tools, and even small garden equipment is going the same way.
SWMBO has a little electric mower, she just loves it - although we don't have 2 acres of lawn to mow. Best part is, I get relieved of the lawn-mowing duty!

No gas to have to run down to the gas station to get, no cranky hard-starting mower engine with its own electrical problems, no smoke, no smell, just have to remember to charge the battery.