• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Esco teeth afermarket vs. OEM

windyhill

My teeth aren't staying on very well and I think it's time to re shank my bucket on my EC140B. I'm wondering about Esco teeth and shanks. The Quality of afermarket vs. OEM Teeth are one thing but I don't want to weld on crap shanks. Are they all about the same quality wise? I'm finding tons of esco "style" but having a hard time finding Actual Esco brand ones.

Last edited:

Goodlife

Just welded some on my EX120-5 rock bucket a few weeks ago and they seem great to me. Only done a few days digging thus far so no endurance report sorry. Genuine Esco though so no comment on copies.

Tags

I've been running strictly Esco teeth on the buckets I've been using for the last few years, zero issues with the teeth falling off the shanks, have yet to lose one....

windyhill

Mine are the twist and pin. v23, the actual shanks look warn, but I was using the off brand teeth. I wonder if I could build the shanks up a bit with metal and get a little more life out of them. Tab on oposit side of pin seams pretty worn. Cutting them off seams like a lot of work, but we used it all last week and had teeth fall off 5 times.

Tags

It might be easier to cut the whole cutting edge off with the teeth on it and just weld in a new edge and shanks. Some of the new Hensley style teeth with the twist lock pin look pretty good, I don't have any experience with them though, I also think you can buy a new cutting edge with the Shanks already welded to it.

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
I have V33 style twist and pin. I have had to build up and grind the grove to the corect width again to keep the pins from wiggling out. not a bad job pretty easy

AzIron

With a good welder and an air arc replacing shanks is not bad I can do a 2 foot bucket for a backhoe with 5 shanks in about 4 hours if no one bothers me

I have yet to try the new twist lock Hensley I have had some run ins with deeres version not really impressed can be very difficult at times to remove pins sometimes requires a pressure washer but I think if you use the bucket a fair bit and replace teeth often its probably not terrible

steve waldner

I always buy the aftermarket , black cat , got the twist on and pin down the side ,esco, never had one fall of , work great last long

windyhill

Thanks all for the info. I'm going to try building up the shank where the tooth clips in, if that doesn't hold up, cutting off and putting a new cutting edge with teeth looks like a viable option.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Years ago Essco had a procedure for building up shanks and what rods to use.IIRC it was just a series of weld dots . If the back of the tooth is proud of the shank the that area also requires attention. Dirt and stones will get between the tooth and shank causing some misery

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The cost per hour of ESCO GET was the best of all the various brands that I bought when working in the coal mines. Nothing was better on loader buckets, excavator buckets and ripper teeth.