• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Equipment Rental company ... starting one

imjustdave

Interested if anyone here is in the rental side of the buisness??? I have been thinkning of buying a few MinEX's, skidsteers, and maybe a few TLB and renting them out. maybe 4-6 machines total. 1-2 of each machine.

I know last summer it was really hard to find a Excavator, and there is competition around here but hay competition is great for buisness.

So can I make $$ on a small scale?
What can I expect ?
Anything I should stay away from?

I have a parking location allready, need some fencing and some advertising but otherwise it's right off a majior highway.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

LowBoy

Occupation
Owner, Iron Mountain Iron & Equipment (Transport)
Starting a rental business.

imjustdave, I think it's a great idea, as long as the finances will facilitate the investment/growth period.
We are a Cat equipment rental outlet, and have over 30 pieces in the rental fleet, and just started 4 years ago. We can't keep skidsteers in the yard; they're constantly under contract.
Mini-excavators are another hot item, we have a couple of micro's (301.6,) and a couple 303's, 305's, 307's, up to a few 315C's with thumbs. D-3 dozers are popular with the DIY'ers too.
Attachments are important as well. Hydro rams for the micro's are popular rather than holding onto a man-killing jackhammer, for close to the same daily rate to the customer, and no compressor needed. Thumbs for hoes are a must. Skidsteers are handy with forks, augers, and posthole diggers as well as quick detach buckets.
It's a good business, and service is the key. If you can offer delivery, and it's highly advantageous if you do just from a liability standpoint, it can be lucrative as long as you have a market there.
The only thing that bothers me periodically is, a homeowner will rent say, our D-5HXL, which is a fairly good size bulldozer, and it always comes back busted up, the stack is usually mowed off, and things are bent that you have to scratch your head and wonder, "how on God's green earth did they ever do that?":beatsme
I once brought this 5 to a homeowner that looked like a mathematician at Harvard, pocket protector and all. His first question to me was, "how do I start it up?" I decided it was going to be advantageous for both of us if I spent the 1 hour doing the work he rented it for, than for him to end up in the hospital or worse...So sometimes it's a trial with rentals.
Best of luck.

thejdman04

The company i work for has different divisions. Rental, trucking, excavation, and quarry, concrete. I work mainly in the rental division. Everyone abuses and misuses things. I would try to stay away from homeowners. Some havent even run a riding lawnmower, get estimates from real contractors for 3000 dollars see your machine rents for 400 and say "i can do taht". They dont realize all the costs and time involved. Tehy dont know what they are doing how long itll take etc. Some dont get utilites marked, hit water mains etc. I have seen some machines flipped over, sunk in rivers, trenchers used as chain saws, chainsaws used as trenchers (literally) etc etc. Also, a lot of times they dont pay, and a small firm jsut doesnt have the manpower or lawyer power to go after the scum bags. It can be a very profitable business Can be very costly. Yeah sure youg ot him to signa contract but true story, guy we rented a brand new 873 bobcat to rolled it over, long story short he was goign through bankrupcy at the time and we basically saw nothign from him. You really got to watch yoruself.. Cover all aspects.

thejdman04

Hoes are great on excavators IF YOU DONT RENT THEM TO HOMEOWNERS!!!!!!!! We had one homeowner who shoved debris into the cylinder busting it slamming the counterweight into the dumpster and pile of rubbish, tearing hoses off the machine, tore rubber tracks etc, it was a 337 bobcat (12,000lb machien) w/200 hours on it, his repsonse "I got the damage waver this should all be covered". Make sure you rent the machine the customer NEEDS NOT WHAT HE ASKS FOR. I have had many callers say "I need a bobcat". Well bobcat make skid steers, excavators, utiltiy vehicles etc etc, the customer says you know I want a bobcat. THey dont udnerstand bobcat makes many tools. We have also had people pry out concrete foundations w/our telhandlers, bending the boom forks etc. Guys rent 60 ft lifts and then yell at us cuase our 23,000lb machine tears up their lawn. Burry a machine in mud (cause they take our 2wd electric boom lift onto a soft lawn, (on the contract it clearly says level hard surfaces but the customer "didnt read that part",) and hten refuse to pay you to come unstick it. I coudl go on for days, like i said it can be very profitable, but it can be very frustration, and if you get a bunch of boneheads in the beginning (such as I have described) , you make go belly up.

LowBoy

Occupation
the jdman is right, there is a dark side to the rental business.

We constantly are welding thumbs back onto sticks, replacing the rams on them that are bent into horseshoes,(our fault, pressure was set way too high, and store manager didn't know about diverter valve to drop operating pressure from hydro hammer pressure to thumb operation.)
We should fabricate spring-loaded exhaust pipes on all bulldozers, because they wipe them out constantly.
We've had a homeowner fall into a ditch with a mini excavator up against his newly poured wall, machine 3/4 tipped over against the wall, and his wife screaming at us because we rented it to him, not realizing he was a Tim Allen type, we've had know-it-all customers put dirty fuel into our machines, and have all sorts of problems.
The biggest one is when they return the unit it is supposed to be clean and full of fuel, track frames shoveled and swept. If not, we whack 'em $75.00/hr. to clean them properly, and we don't rush through the task...we have their credit card number still.
Broken glass is a common one too. Customer always says it wasn't his fault though, a stick or rock "flew into it". I suppose it was sitting there shut off when it happened too.:D
Unfortunately to be successful at the rental game, you're going to have to be thick-skinned and accept all this, because homeowner rentals will be a significant part of your revenue. As jdman says, a contractor will give a quote of 1200-1500 bucks, and the Tim Allen homeowner will call you and find out a machine is 350/day plus trucking. A no-brainer to Tim Allen, but disaster is usually right around the corner.

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
I wouldn't do it Dave.Case in point--I'm very friendly with the owner of a small rental yard.Funny I thought why he wants me to plow his yard this past Winter when he's got a whole lot of toys to get er done.Turns out for both major storms we got,all his iron was broke down in various spots in the yard and I had to navigate around all of them.Most of them weren't running due to the weekend warriors wrecking them.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
We have several rental yards in the area here, I use only one. Why? Because they maintain their equipment! Nothing bugs me more than to spend an hour or two repairing a machine I've rented before I can use it, and with a couple companies here that happens far too often! It's very important that the machines you rent actually work as they are supposed to if you expect repeat business.

Blademan

Charter Member
Occupation
Operating Engineer
My best advice , for any business , is to write up a detailed and organized business plan , and stick to it . Lots of folks can get a loan , buy equipment and start a company. Some make it , some don't , but doing your financial homework before hand really helps in determining things that can be a benchmark for how well you are doing , or can show areas of weakness early enough that you can fix them before things get too out of control . Also , when doing research for your plan , it make you aware of our things you may need to learn or know but never thought of until you're knee deep in paperwork and the phones are ringing . Like school , the more homework you do the more prepared you are .
Anyway , I bet if you go to your local library they'll have plenty of books on how to wite up a business plan .

Good luck .

coopers

Good luck! I've worked for two rental companies and it's A LOT of work. Nothing more discouraging and annoying then to have your brand new JD 200C LC excavator delivered to the yard, then to go out on rent in two weeks and have 8K or more in damage done to it. Like Steve Frazier said, it's key to keep up on maintenance of a machine and that can be challenging when you have customers screaming for a machine. One of the rental companies I worked for was notorious for doing crappy check overs if any at all on equipment because they caved in under the pressure of making money and turning that equipment around fast for customers. I was always pulling my hair out because we couldn't check over equipment and clean them up. Appearance and performance are EVERYTHING. You'll loose people when a 2005 120C looks like a 1990's excavator and it runs like s***.

Blake
WA

Grader4me

the jdman is right, there is a dark side to the rental business.
We've had a homeowner fall into a ditch with a mini excavator up against his newly poured wall, machine 3/4 tipped over against the wall, and his wife screaming at us because we rented it to him, not realizing he was a Tim Allen type, we've had know-it-all customers put dirty fuel into our machines, and have all sorts of problems.

I would probably have a nervous break down if I owned a rental company. The homeowner renting equipment would be my biggest fear. No experience, no equipment savy, just jump on er and go. You would have no idea how he was operating it, or who was operating it...might even be the guy' kids!
Guess you would have to be as previously stated...thick skinned. :beatsme

Last edited:

chevy94

As stated above a rental company would be a risky venture, because people will go in having the mentality that its not their's and wont care if it gets tore up, i dont think i would do the whole rental thing, personally. What i would like to do some day (and this is truely my ultimate goal) is own my own excavating/dirtwork/demolition business, that is really something that I hope to accomplish one day.

atgreene

I think the key here would be to talk to a few reputable contactors in your area and see if they would be interested in renting whatever you plan to stock. If you could primarily rent to responsible contractors, and start small, you would do well.

There are lots of times I need a skid steer, but seldom rent one as most rental yards have let Harry homeowner stave the crap out of their machines and when I get it the bucket is bent, lights don't work, windows are gone on and on.

If I have a couple friends who will let me rent their equipment, and it tends to be in much better shape.

Just my .02.

Good luck.

Grader4me

If a person started a rental company and the equipment was mini excavators,slid steers etc. would it be unethical to go over the machine with the rentee and let him/her show that they can operate before taking it?

You would have your regular customers that you would not have to do this, but I am talking about the "new guy" that you know nothing about. Also if you did it this way, what kind of mess would you get into if you refused to rent the mini to a person because of the obvious lack of skill so to speak. Would this hurt your business or enhance it? What I mean by enhancing it is maybe you will get the reputation that you care about your equipment and also are taking every "reasonable" precaution to prevent the rentee from getting hurt.

Then there is the time factor...Would you have time to evaluate customers on the equipment, especially if your buisness grew. I suppose then it might be feasible to hire someone to do this.

Obviously there is money to be made renting equipment, starting out would be rough (as with any new buisness I suppose) but if there is a will there is a way.

coopers

Go to www.komotv.com and click on the first link under "TOP VIDEOS" near the top of the page next to the screen about opening day of boating. It's a 200C LC Deere excavator that is pretty much gone in a swamp. It's RSC's machine, this site is about 30 minutes north of my house, and RSC is about 5 minutes west of this guys location.

Blake

thejdman04

If a person started a rental company and the equipment was mini excavators,slid steers etc. would it be unethical to go over the machine with the rentee and let him/her show that they can operate before taking it?

You would have your regular customers that you would not have to do this, but I am talking about the "new guy" that you know nothing about. Also if you did it this way, what kind of mess would you get into if you refused to rent the mini to a person because of the obvious lack of skill so to speak. Would this hurt your business or enhance it? What I mean by enhancing it is maybe you will get the reputation that you care about your equipment and also are taking every "reasonable" precaution to prevent the rentee from getting hurt.

Then there is the time factor...Would you have time to evaluate customers on the equipment, especially if your buisness grew. I suppose then it might be feasible to hire someone to do this.

Obviously there is money to be made renting equipment, starting out would be rough (as with any new buisness I suppose) but if there is a will there is a way.

If we only rented to truly qualified people, our yard would be full all the time.

LowBoy

Occupation
As stated earlier in this thread, a large proportion of the rental business unfortunately IS to unskilled, unqualified customers. But, like just mentioned, if it were to all qualified individuals, the yards would be full.

It's a risky business in terms of mechanical and cosmetic damage, agreed. But if you want to make money in it, the glory and intimacy of new, shiny iron needs to leave and concentrate on the business of renting equipment with a good, cut-and-dry rental agreement contract stating certain restrictions and liabilities about damages.

Again, we have over 30 pieces of Caterpillar equipment from 301.6's to 320C's that Harry Homeowner rents, and the 320C comes back with busted glass and dents constantly. The small excavators get thumbs ripped off every week from guys trying to pick up rocks bigger than the machine itself with a flimsy Amulet Hoe Clamp, and all sorts of stuff. WE DON'T GET NERVOUS...That's why we have guys like me, and John and Bob (other employees that work in the service side of the business,) that weld, fix, straighten, change and rechange certain critical parts that would directly affect the safe, functional operation of a given piece.

The key to this business, and listen carefully...SERVICE. Not customer service, I'm talking about mechanical service. It's a continuous and tedious facet of it, but it's a necessary evil if you want to maintain a safe, relaible fleet. But the customer has to supplement the cost of it with damage insurance or good old "greenbacks", period.

It's s simple concept. You break...you PAY. Very easy to understand even for Harry Homeowner. We have his credit card number on file,.. we win,.. he loses if he decides he's not responsible for the damage that was inflicted upon return of the unit. As we pick up and deliver every piece, we do a thorough inspection of the tin, the interior, and all parts that would be subject to damage and document it on every rental contract.

Once you decide to start a rental business, the love affair with straight sheet metal and shiny yellow paint HAS to go away, or you may want to consider an occupation with less trauma...:wink2

I had an incident 12 years ago or so where I leased-purchased a brand new excavator from a dealer, ran out of work at years end and decided to call them and level with them. They said, just bring it back here, and in the spring come back to get it and start going again, no problem. Come spring, they sold my machine I had $27K into in lease-purchase payments, and we got into a severe pee'ing match. I went out and bought 2 used pieces of another brand for the price of the one from the jerk that rooked me on the new one. They found out and next thing I get a bill for $5,500.00 damages on the machine I anticipated to keep for a long time.

Long story short, there were lawyers, guns and money involved. The rotten, no good dealer slapped a judgement on me for the $5,500.00 which I said they'd get only if I had $5,500.00 worth of valuables on me at the time they closed the lid on my COFFIN. That was over 12 yrs. ago, they are still waiting, hope they don't hold their breath too much longer.

The point is, it stated in the lease-purchase agreement I was responsible for the damages. Dents, a replaced side door that I didn't get to put the brand name back on yet, some other stuff that is normal, they billed me double retail. I had a numb attorney that advised me not to pay the bill, and it turned out not so great in the end. The good news is, the judgement never affected my way of life one ioda, refi'd my house with it, did some other things with it, and it never caused one ounce of lost sleep. Now it's gone off the credit report, and that dealer can go pound sand forever.

Damages can and will present complications to the renter, so they are the loser in the event of a problem. Pretty simple math, really.:cool2

DennisJonesCon.

Occupation
All construction
Martina McBride sings it best

I opened a Taylor Rental one year ago. Don't believe any sad story you hear......don't do any favors......don't cut any prices........Your best friends are other rental companies........they have been through it all. The customer is only there to abuse the equipment. I probably would not do it again, but at least my friends don't ask to borrow anymore.......come to think of it......I seemed to have lost most of my friends.

If you do go through with it......look into Taylor Rental. They have a great buying and insurance program.