• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Equipment life

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
I see mostly new equipment in this area. There are a hands full of large contractors that run stuff that is older then most of there operators. It kind of depends on the way your company is set up. Where I'm working now we don't have a mechanic, but where a small outfit. So we have newer equipment that is worked on by the dealer other then basic maintenance. I am seeing a lot more companies kind of going the same route. The last 3 I've worked for didn't have a good mechanic. This one and the 3rd one didn't have any, but it too was small I was the sole operator.

Drifter

Its not how old (years) the equipment is its how many hours it has. That being said as long as you can get parts and the frame is worth repairing you can pretty much run this stuff for as long as you want. Maintenance is key.

MikeL06

Occupation
Analyst
Today, a plethora of management tools exists to manage capital equipment lifecycles and maximize return on investment.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
MikeL06,
That's a pretty general statement. Care to elaborate?

fyrwood guy

Occupation
husqvarna chain saw dealer
Its not how old (years) the equipment is its how many hours it has. That being said as long as you can get parts and the frame is worth repairing you can pretty much run this stuff for as long as you want. Maintenance is key.

that's the way i look at it :D

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
IMHO
The operator is important to equipment life too. From a mechanic's point of view you need an operator that's middle of the road. Somewhere between someone being a pest and calling you out to the job site everytime the thing hicups, and the guy who totally ignors everything & drives it into the ground (until there's nothing left worth fixing) before letting anyone know there's an issue. :beatsme

Imtiaz Ali

Life Span of Heavy Construction Equipment

I was having a discussion with a guy about the life of equipment. It stemmed from the auction prices of some newer units. He said construction equipment had a life of 20 years just like cars had a life of 10 years. I said it had more to do with how it was run and the hours on it. It seems that most equipment is being retired at around 10 years. What do you think?

It depends on how well the equipment was maintained and the environment it worked in

Bigstevex4

There are so many factors in eguipment life. I used to go to a suger company every summer and completely go threw there machines most were 20 -30 yrs old but they only ran 4 months a year loaded sugar beats. but took alot of maintanance to keep going.
If you have a buisness were you need 98% uptime that old slow eguipment wont cut it. weres the tiping point 12-14thousand hours on the big stuff unless you do a total rebuild not patch and go then 24-28 thousand hrs

Ive seen 24-7 operations put 8000 hrs on in a year.
ive seen 25yr old machies with less than a1000 hrs.

Rod Michaelson

Occupation
equipment manager
Equipment life made shorter

Hate to be a bearer of bad news ,but the days of using older equipment in California are coming to an end. If the current US EPA director and her group has anything to do with it, this BS will spread like a cancer to the rest of the US.

To make business work here these days in what used to be the Golden State, and now the Sick Pea Green State,the Air Resources Board in California is looking at making the average fleet age 5 years old and your "oldest" equipment gone out of the state by it's 12th birthday.

I love old iron and always have. Something you knew if you kept in good shape would last a LONG TIME.

To me now, an OLD piece of equipment is 20 years old.

Something we can look at, but not use to make our livings.

Rod Michaelson
http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/CARBoffroaddiesel/
"Global Warming" has become the grand political narrative of the age, replacing Marxism as a dominant force for controlling liberty and human choices." - Professor P. Scott

Last edited:

Daniel Boone

Occupation
Equipemnt Operator
It's all in the maintance, I still have a Case 580B in good working order with 15,000 hrs on it, yes it is slower than my Super L,

Daniel Boone

Occupation
Equipemnt Operator
It's all in the maintenance, I still have a Case 580B in good working order with 15,000 hrs on it, yes it is slower than my Super L, and she has a few leaks, but still makes money. My Dad has an old Cat 988A, 2 Cat 980B's, and a D8K that work every day in a rock yard. It's all about how you take care of a machine! Remember. a piece of equipment is a tool, if you take care of it, it will take care of you! :drinkup