1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Engine breather system

Discussion in 'Compact Excavators' started by Parafix, Jul 31, 2020.

?

Should I connect the breather hose to the air intake?

1. Yes, good idea!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, don't do it, it will mess up the engine!

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Parafix

Parafix New Member

Hi, I have an old Takeuchi excavator tb035 with a Yanmar 3tn84tl 3 cylinder engine.

The breather hose that relieves the overpressure in the cylinder head now directly vents in the air. This comes unfortunately with lots of smoke and smell... The cylinders probably leak somewhat.

Is it a good idea to connect that breather hose directly to the air intake (after air filter) so it is burnt, resulting in better (or less bad) emissions? (As is done in more modern engines) Or will this mess up the air supply or...?

The machines is not used alot, so not worth redoing the entire engine for the couple of hours that I need it.

Thanks for any advice in advance!

2. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    It will work for awhile but your muffler is also probably getting wet stacked already. Add all the crankcase vapors and you are living on borrowed time.

DMiller and uffex like this.
  3. 56wrench

56wrench Senior Member

If too much oil goes through the intake side, you may end up with sticky valves or at the worst, engine runaway

DMiller likes this.
  4. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Retired
    There are Positive Crankcase Ventilation systems on most engines these days, on Gas engines in cars they tended to load the intake with gunk and oily residue that does NOT burn except in high compression engines as diesel, the latter have been adopted to this but it is not without drawbacks as a runaway situation where as the engines age and deliver far more consumable to the intake the fuel system can drop back SOME, when at its least and should you pop a piston forcing massive amounts of oily vapor into the intake off it will go to self determined destruction.

5. funwithfuel

funwithfuel Senior Member

Mechanic
    You could do it, but ,BUT you have to place a slobber can in between. It's basically a condenser, let's the oil drip back to crankcase and the vapors get consumed.

6. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    I've had a couple of customers do it. I also had one plumb the hose into the outlet side of the muffler where the rain drain hole is. It just moves the mess from the under the engine to all over the outside of the machine.

56wrench and DMiller like this.