• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Emmisions ethics and the law

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I have found that old people who kept up with the times and learned how to work on current stuff with computers and laptops are by far the very best because they understand mechanical, electrical, and electronic in the whole package.

The trouble is there are only about 3 of them in existence. Maybe more, probably most of them post on here.
The electronics and computer stuff was my weak points. Mostly because 98% of the equipment I had exposure to was more vintage stuff. Then when they started getting a few Cats with computers upper management felt for the longest time having one laptop with Cat ET on it to be shared between several locations up to a two hour drive or more round trip was a good plan.

After a couple years I did end up having one for my own use 75% of the time. Last I heard a couple years back the guy who got stuck with my job had been trying for over a year to get them to renew the ET subscription after it ran out! This is not a small mom and pop's operation but one of the top three aggregate companies in the world!

Truck Shop

There are engine/mechanical related issues that are commonly confused with a electrical/electronic issue. Sometimes it really only takes
a good experienced set of ears and common sense to trouble shoot. More often than not people think it's a sensor which becomes the
go to word or thought why the check engine light is on.

Freightliner comes from the factory with a check engine light On as standard equipment. Plus some of their best can't find a problem.
Disconnect the battery ground for ten minuets clear all 5 ECM's and poof light stay's out for three months till it lights up with a real
code or issue. So no matter how good someone thinks they are at computer/ecm trouble shooting-the gremlins multiply overnight.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
If the manufacturer can't or won't figure it out - how is the end user's shop supposed to do any better.

Do any users of trucks write in down time penalty clauses? Liquidated damages? We used to do that with fire trucks sometimes. But that was before DPF was invented.

Truck Shop

If the manufacturer can't or won't figure it out - how is the end user's shop supposed to do any better.
Agreed.

Some of the wiring issues are caused on the assembly line. The black corrugated wire loom can and does over a period of time rub small areas of the
insulation. Because the factory won't take the time to tape the wires together before installing in loom. The wires just lay inside loose vibrating . Zip ties
are another problem-so tight over a period of time with no extra slack the ties cut through.

Great Dane use to build quality trailers. We have eight 2019's. The harnesses were installed in such a way you can't pull a marker out to unplug it-
absolutely no slack. Harnesses were installed and slack pulled up then Gorilla taped or a loom clamp was used as a tourniquet on the wires to twist
them up tight then clamp riveted-All of this crap was done on purpose on the assembly line. It's cost me hours and hours of labor to straighten out.
You ask how come Great Dane didn't fix it-what have it lay in their yard for two weeks before they get around to it.

Welder Dave

I wonder if in the OP's post the buyer of the machine has any recourse with the auction company? If it's a serious offence for a shop to work on a deleted machine, it seems like there should be similar rules for the auction houses selling deleted machines. I recall a thread on another forum where RB refunded money and took back a welder that had major internal problems that weren't disclosed. The other side of the coin is maybe??? because the buyer wants to put all the deleted stuff back on there are exceptions to the rules.

Midnightmoon

So the customer didnt like the price it would cost to fix the machine. Picked it up and left. At the aucrion He paid 2/3 of the cost of a new machine for this auction jem. We talked about the liability of the auction house they take pictures of everything and check the machine thoroughly this machine should have been sold as parts but given the price it got at auction seems like someone pulled a fast one. I cant imagine you can legally sell it without disclosing emmisions are removed. To return to original The parts bill was close to 25k that's if the ecu could be reprogrammed back to factory and def injector still functioned. Everything else was removed except def injector which is odd why not leave everything.missing parts were Def tank, def pump, sensors controllers hoses muffler was cut open gutted and patched back up. Someone else's problem now

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Buyer's responsibility probably trumps the seller's responsibility but until it hits the courts who knows? There are lots of things that you can legally sell or own but not use. Part of the auction contract that allows you to bid says "AS IS, Where Is." My guess is that this quality individual owner will haul the machine down the road until he finds someone less educated or less professional who will try to make it run.

Midnightmoon

Oh it runs great. Customer brought it to us to fix emissions. In Massachusetts if you buy a car even as is and it doesnt pass emissions you can legally go back and make seller pay to fix it. Well it was that way 10 years ago anyway. In new York if you sell a car and you know there is something wrong with it and dont disclose it the buyer has a legal Avenue to dispute the sale. I would imagine even as is this machine was illegally sold but noone will pay lawyers to dispute it although if i bought this and found emissions gone I'd get my money back. Someday I'd like to provide a service for equipment buyers to hire me to inspect machines before they purchase them. I have the website built and ready for retirement in 10 years.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Out here in the west what applies to cars or items licensed for the highway doesn't apply to industrial machines never meant to touch a piece of pavement but for to removed or reapply it. The auctions are also treated differently than retail sellers. Ritchie only got hit here on the emissions stuff when they imported a bunch of stuff from Asia back in the nineties to sell down the west coast. Now days no one even thinks to check on Tier status of anything sold at auction. But a court case would go a long way in deciding what is right and what is wrong.

JD955SC

Out here in the west what applies to cars or items licensed for the highway doesn't apply to industrial machines never meant to touch a piece of pavement but for to removed or reapply it. The auctions are also treated differently than retail sellers. Ritchie only got hit here on the emissions stuff when they imported a bunch of stuff from Asia back in the nineties to sell down the west coast. Now days no one even thinks to check on Tier status of anything sold at auction. But a court case would go a long way in deciding what is right and what is wrong.

Right now the government seem to be focused on high profile stuff like deleted diesel pickups and mostly on the sellers of the delete kits and some shops that install them. Being in a non emission state my personal truck would probably have that stuff “get stolen by a methhead” in the middle of the night.

professionally I can’t truly touch that stuff but so far we’ve only seen a couple of machines without it and the last one had the equipment just flash files that caused the ECM to ignore it. We flashed it back to factory config which probably pissed the customer off but we were in a rock and a hard place.

BigWrench55

I work for a dealer. And time to time I come across a deleted machine. I have not been instructed not to do any work when I find a deleted machine. I just do my best to fix the issues without delving into their delete device. If I find that their delete device is causing the problem then I stop right there. We can only support oem equipment. Just today I was working on a machine with a speed sensor issue. I checked the wiring from sensor to ecm and ohmed out the sensor and couldn’t find anything wrong. Even my laptop was detecting the sensor. So as a last ditch effort I reflashed the engine ecm. Well I didn’t know that the customer deleted the emissions. Now his machine is in full derate because there isn’t any communication with the emission sensors because it’s all deleted. Do I feel bad for the customer? Absolutely not! That’s the risk you run when you play that game. I told the customer what I did and told him that whoever did your delete will have to undo what I did. I did find the problem. There is another speed sensor that is not monitored through my laptop nor is it mentioned in the service manual where you can find it easily. I will fix that when they get the software reinstalled.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Sounds like the perfect machine to ship to Central America. The buyer could sell it for top dollar not having all the DEF BS on it.