• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ed's 77 Terex 72-41

mountainguyed67

Thanks.

I’m pushing to get it usable, I’m eager to make some progress on our land. It’ll be wheel cylinders after the current round of stuff, and if the condition of everything else is a clue, i’ll be having the shoes relined too.

mountainguyed67

I just ordered the missing part from the steer cylinder kit, and o rings for the steering manifold assembly & unloading valve. Also some fuel line. Because I'm waiting on this stuff I went ahead and built a contraption to lift a wheel off so I can get to the wheel cylinders. My gantry crane is too big to haul.
25B580DF-1F63-47C6-8EA5-73DB9DE4ECEF.jpeg 392BF999-D09B-4862-88AF-FAB04A9222FC.jpeg F9179940-8A82-4BF9-B565-E0A7405E02ED.jpeg 7583D99E-EDEC-4051-930D-C43896E0BC06.jpeg

d9gdon

Just use the bucket to lift the front wheels off the ground.

If you need the back wheels off the ground, just use the bucket to dig into a bank of dirt so that it raises the back end and then put blocks under the axles.

Reactions: DB2

mountainguyed67

I do plan to use the bucket to lift the wheels off the ground, this isn’t a car wheel I can pull off with my hands after that. We will set the tripod back a little so the wheel will come back when lifted up, maybe repeat a couple times to get it out of the way.

mountainguyed67

I couldn’t take the truck with the air compressor and impactor to remove the lug nuts, so I could only set it up and see if it looked like it would work. It does. If I need to choke it up more I got a chain coupling link to eliminate the hook and shackle.
CA39CD80-874C-498A-A292-0A6BC484918A.jpeg 5B773B58-0D50-4990-BB03-2F3A973E825A.jpeg E8692D3B-1606-445E-8CCE-648C07C1A3BE.jpeg

mountainguyed67

Replaced the rear right side brake line, the old one was crushed with vise grips to slow the flow of fluid to the wheel cylinders. I know from experience you can't stop the flow completely, even with the vise grip still on.
2805A8E8-D4D8-4124-8F77-C16DA68F2A2D.jpeg

Theweldor

Occupation
The Village Idiot
Ir appears you are working on a bit of a slope. Don't let that tire get away from you. They will roll easier that you think and you won't be able to stop it.

mountainguyed67

The road behind the loader goes up pretty steep. It’s pretty level where the loader itself is, but does slope down a little this side of the loader. My tractor mechanic friend has been saying all along to dig a little trench with the bucket first.

Thanks.

mountainguyed67

If it made it the 40’ to the road it would be coming from the right here, but probably wouldn’t make it through the trees. We’ll take a bunch of precautions to keep it from getting away. The “claw” I made to grab the wheel is too close fitting to slip off, so unless the tripod went over and the chain came off, run aways would be limited to after we set it down. And we’ll make sure it’s anchored first.

Edit: I’ll chain the top of the tripod to the loader too.

5BA35071-6480-4648-8951-9C7D495FDCCF.jpeg

mountainguyed67

He didn’t have me order the seals because he thought they would be o rings, and I ordered all the o rings. So now I need to get six seals and a gasket. He did what he could for now, I was his assistant. There were some obvious leaks, seals and o rings both.

The seals we need are A1054X3, I am only finding it online by national stock number. I will try local tomorrow, if not I’ll order from Terex.
E16740C9-B5C3-422D-ACE5-C4F495F961B2.jpeg

mountainguyed67

Above parts ordered from Terex. Tried locally, but nonstandard size and type. Doh.

The first batch of parts arrived, and I got the other steering cylinder back together. We can work on the steering hydraulic manifold assembly now too.

mountainguyed67

The spool valve seals arrived from Terex yesterday. The unloading valve seal kit wasn’t in the box a few days earlier. I had to ask what happened, no longer available. But the parts were available individually, and supposed to have been ordered a couple days ago. No confirmation yet.

mountainguyed67

Both of the hydraulic units (spool valve & steering unloading valve assembly) are resealed and back together now. Probably will be September when I can get back up and install them.

mountainguyed67

Finally got back on this last week, installed left steering cylinder, spool valve, and steering hydraulic manifold assembly & unloading valve. Except I was short three o rings for the spool valve hoses, ordered those yesterday. They were in stock in California. So couldn’t start it because of the three hydraulic lines not connected, came home with a list of what to bring next time. So next time i’ll go up ready to work on the wheel cylinders, that’s the last major thing. Got a few small things lined up too.

mountainguyed67

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier. Hulco in Lone Jack, MO. is always my first Terex parts call.

Just placed an order with Hulco today, springs for the parking brake shoes, and rod ends for the parking brake linkage rod. Parking brake springs got thrown away by the shop that relined the shoes, they were in the bag with the shoes. I wanted the bag back because it had parts in it I needed, he insisted there were no parts in it. Those two springs were in there. They’re no longer available from Terex, a couple other places didn’t have them either. There was no linkage rod or rod ends with the machine. I got all thread and rod ends, but the rod ends are too wide for the upper connection, and sometimes hangs up. So, many thanks for that referral.

The woman at Hulco wanted to know how I heard of their company, I told her the story of you telling me. She sounded surprised.

Also, anywhere else where they actually have a wrecking yard with these machines, there were other items on my list that Hulco didn’t have.