• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ed's 77 Terex 72-41

mountainguyed67

Already on the agenda. Last time I couldn’t get my truck over to charge the batteries, and no one to shoot ether while I crank it. Plus there’s snow, once the snow is gone i’ll be doing that. Might have the ether start system installed soon too, got the fittings today.

mountainguyed67

I took off the parking brake drum, it was caked with oil inside. I'll pressure wash the shoes and get them relined. The oil was coming from the steering valve above, we resealed it last year.
69189E98-66E6-4A42-A73F-5FCA750BE4BB.jpeg AD173A3D-F362-48DE-B4D4-0CAD6080904C.jpeg 7D0892F3-F82C-4340-BCFA-761E10A24184.jpeg

mountainguyed67

I did some other research too. I pulled the two fuel tank mounting bolts in the back and tried to pivot it forward, the front is hinged. It moved enough to tell me I'm on the right track, but need to drain some fuel first. The steer cylinders are underneath, need to seal them.

Pulled the hose from the brake fluid reservoir to the front master cylinder, it has a hole. Now I have a sample.

Followed the hoses coming from the outer valve block next to the transmission, one goes to a cooler, one goes to a pump, the other two go to the steering control valve. The inner block has no hoses or other lines, must be tied together. I also noticed if I remove four bolts, I can drop the plate the two blocks are bolted to. Too crowded to work on them where they are. We can replace seals and put them back in.

Measured what size pin I would need to attach a cable or chain to the back, to pull something. 2-1/8 bottom and under 2" top. I thought both would be the same. Maybe a step pin?

Brought the parking brake linkage down too, the top clevis is a little too wide for what it has to pass through. It was missing and I bought this one, need to find a narrower one. This one hangs up sometimes.

A friend got a loader service manual for me, the first thing I looked for was the parking brake. It said refer to transmission service manual. I found one on eBay and ordered it, $35.

Replaced the heater fan switch too.

mountainguyed67

Finally got access to the steer cylinders. Pretty nasty, but cleaned up good. The steering wasn't perfectly centered. One side came out easy, the other side I fought with until I took the spool valve mounting bolts out. Then it came right out, just a little bit keeping it from moving. I had the cylinder seal kits with me, but brought them down to do at home. Better resources, and that way I only have to expend my energy up there on what has to be done up there.
FC015A92-1F2E-4ADC-87D6-66F23644B06E.jpeg E8FB55EB-4E50-4CD7-8BF3-01CC4D0E3284.jpeg 6DC0FC23-74CE-4476-B3DF-312BD6CF99F3.jpeg

mountainguyed67

Also removed the steering manifold assembly, it was leaking. I figured I'd do all the steer stuff while the system is open. It was a bear to wrestle out of this little opening. Finally found an angle that worked, after trying others. The buckets show how BIG the thing is. And needless to say, it was a nasty mess.
C5892A62-7E5B-4705-B6FF-4905D2A87635.jpeg 0545F463-7FE3-43E4-9B24-7D3ECA9764E6.jpeg

mountainguyed67

I brought down the broken windshield and seal, already talked to my glass guy about doing it. I traced the pattern onto plywood in case the glass did not survive the trip down, it did though.
DFA8E63B-267E-4A12-A545-7E90A420C28A.jpeg

mountainguyed67

With the enormous amount of work to be done on the property I can not imagine getting it done by hand. Although working on the loader is taking up time and resources I could be putting into the land, it would be at a snails pace in comparison.

I got a bunch of other stuff done I have not listed yet, including pressure washing two inches plus of oil buildup off the rear axle. I got a handful reaching up there. The steel brake line is crushed with vise grips at the right rear wheel, likely because that wheel cylinder was leaking. So I took a measurement to replace it. I also gathered other information. The plate that locks the lower articulation pin nut in place is missing, and the nut is backed off a little. Terex wanted a crazy amount of money to have one made, they’re out of stock. I will make one. I said I was a machinist right?? It’s a 3-1/2” hex with two 5/8-11 bolts holding it, and I will Locktite this time.

Also brought the batteries down to charge and check out, one would start my truck, the other just clicked. And the battery box hinged cover is badly bent and won’t close. I got it half way cut off, the inverter kept burning fuses. I will figure out a way for next time, I want to bring it down and beat it back into shape enough to close. It’s one piece with what the batteries sit on, and that is large and cumbersome. Not even sure how much would have to be removed that way, I will just attach it with bolts and a plate. One of the rear articulation pins is partially out too, it broke away from the plate with bolts securing it in place. On the other pin they bent up a metal plate and welded it on to trap the pin in there when that happened, I measured it so I can duplicate it. Also removed the broken off mounting plate and brought it home to clean up.

I replaced the hose carrying fluid to the front master too, you can see it in the first picture describing the manifold. Two blue hoses, I had already replaced the other one. I alternated dropping beetle killed trees, and working on the loader. But gave the loader more time. I didn’t hear a peep out of neighbors until a chainsaw yesterday. Had some rain I sat under the canopy for, nice dust control.

Also measured and took notes to build something to lift the wheels using a chain hoist, gonna build a tripod to hang the hoist from. And checked lug nut size, there are thirteen nuts that take an 1-1/8” socket. I got a lot done this last trip, and lined up more to do before I go back up.