• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

ECM discontinued for 2014 Genie Z-45...

mjohnsonsa

I own a 2014 Genie Z-45 Lift with Perkins 404F-22 Diesel engine in it. It was recently diagnosed as having a bad ECM by the local Perkins service/dealer. They said that the ECM (Part# T402619) is no longer manufactured and is unavailable anywhere world-wide (according to PERKINS support). The service center said they don't know of any replacement ECM for this machine. Genie is unresponsive. Where do I go from here? This is a common boom lift and I can't image that a bad ECM means the entire lift is un-fixable???

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Start calling/emailing different service centers..
The fuel shop I worked for was a Perkins Central Distributor.. & could plug in a part # and check dealers worldwide..
I’m with u.. it’s gotta be available somewhere..
Good luck

crane operator

There are guys that specialize in ecm repair also. Look around on ebay and google search. Basically they split open your ecm, look for the broken circuit board solder joint or whatever is wrong on the board. They then resolder and replace parts as necessary. I had it performed on a cummins ecm, repaired for under $800, and a new ecm was over $3,000.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Dang! Glad I'm out of the business when a seven year old machine could be considered scrap because of something as simple as a bad solder joint on a circuit board!

Just read an article in the paper about how many cars are being sold today with options being deleted, like heated seats, and navigation devices due to shortage of computer chips! At least some of them are said to be put back in once the chips are available. What is going to happen if just one factory has a fire or storm damage?

mjohnsonsa

Question on repair. Do you know if they can repair the ECM when the entire circuit board is submerged in epoxy? I figured they could not which is why I thought that option was not possible. Plus the only place I could find that advertised they repair Perkins ECM's seemed a little sketchy and very dodgy on questions related to this model of ECM when I called them. Any recommendations on who I might call about repair vs. replace? I bet it is a simple component like a capacitor since the board will not even communicate with the diagnostic reader, it gets power but does not power up. Probably just a simple regulator or capacitor but I can't access anything since it is encased in epoxy...

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I seem to be getting calls more and more on this type of problem. My quarry customer has it happen all the time. I'm just old enough and dumb enough to attempt a repair or a work around. I've had to completely rewire a shredder to make it work again. I had to jury rig and control panel on a drill to make that usable.

The biggest problem though is what I've been working on were analog boards with simple logic making things work. In the last few years, machines are using digital processors that require software. The problem isn't so much broken solder as it is a piece of corrupted software that got spiked by a jump start or a short circuit at the wrong time.

mjohnsonsa

I seem to be getting calls more and more on this type of problem. My quarry customer has it happen all the time. I'm just old enough and dumb enough to attempt a repair or a work around. I've had to completely rewire a shredder to make it work again. I had to jury rig and control panel on a drill to make that usable.

The biggest problem though is what I've been working on were analog boards with simple logic making things work. In the last few years, machines are using digital processors that require software. The problem isn't so much broken solder as it is a piece of corrupted software that got spiked by a jump start or a short circuit at the wrong time.

Well if anyone know of a work around, a source to contact about a retrofit, or anything else let me know. I did contact that one website listed up above but they don't actually have it in stock (as many of the other sites that show them don't have them stocked either). You would think I was looking for a part on a 1984 DeLorean and not a Genie Boom Lift...

MarshallPowerGen

Occupation
Generator Technician & Equipment Mechanic
Might try emailing Flight Systems. We've sent them some oddball boards in the past that they were able to repair. Even if they can't, they might have an idea who could.

crane operator

You could also contact your local sunbelt/united rentals/ cat rental store, or whoever is the rental supply in your area. Those guys have hundreds of lifts, and I'm sure have encountered every possible problem with them.

excavator

A problem that is getting more and more common as things become more global. Many seem to think that a total global economy is a much better way to live but it's proving to not be so. I see and hear of so many different pieces of equipment sitting, waiting for parts, trucks parked that cannot run down the road because parts are not available. Yesterday I saw an article where the government wants to make it mandatory that all new cars have a switch installed so that law enforcement can remotely disable the vehicle during a chase. On the surface it sounds OK until you begin to think about it, at any point the government can disable your vehicle at any time. I'm beginning to think that the internet and all electronic controls were designed for only one thing and that is total control over everyone.

Camshawn

Occupation
retired
That is the reason I am keeping my 96 pickup. I can wire switches to the fuel shutoff, grid heater and to the starter. It will run and get us to where we need to go. Cam

BigWrench55

Have you tried lonestar forklifts there in San Antonio? They have resources that others do not. I am also finding it hard to believe that that part is obsolete. You may need a second opinion. Probably have a bad ground or resistor.

Parts

I'd send it to the one guy you found who does them. Seems to be the only source at the moment. I doubt the board is out of production but not currently in production due to shortage. Unless you have 6 months to wait it might be worth your time to have the guy take a look at the chunk of epoxy and give you an estimate.