• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dump truck yoke questions

resource_19

Disclaimer: I know almost nothing about dump trucks. However, I need to know what is the function of a yoke on a (1980's Freightliner) dump truck. Also, what can cause a yoke to break (i.e., weight, shifting, etc). Thanks in advance.

Multiracer

Occupation
Owner/ operator
Driveshaft yoke ? They are found on the output shaft of the transmission and input shaft of the rear differential. The other half of a U-Joint is held by a stationary yoke built into the driveshaft. Drivelines in dump trucks take a beating !!
Ron

resource_19

Yes that sounds right. What is the purpose of a yoke (in layman's terms)? Does it relate to movement of the rear wheels?

Phill

Occupation
land Survey Assistant
The yoke allows the Drive shaft to change its angle with out binding up, as the Rear wheels move up and down with the road or terrain the drive shaft angle changes accordingly. If its not able to change angle it would stop spinning and not allow the power to go from the engine to the wheels. i am not sure how else to describe it....

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
The yoke holds one half of the universal joint which allows the driveshaft to flex. I've posted them below, both unassembled and assembled. The most common cause of failure on dump trucks is a sudden application of torque while carrying a heavy load. All starts and transmission shifts have to be done smoothly to avoid drivetrain damage with heavy loads. Another cause could be the failure of the u-joint itself due to age or lack of maintenance.

The yokes pictured are from cars, the ones in a dumptruck would be of the same design only much larger.

Yokes.jpg

yokes1.jpg