• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

dumbest mistakes

Tooth Fairy

Hi everyone. I was pretty excited when a friend told me about this site. I figured a good way to start out would be to admit the dumbest thing I have done with a mill. A few years ago I was doing a mill and fill on I-75 in Dayton Ohio. I was a little nervous since this was my first night job and that area Rt 4 and I-75 was know for crashes. Anyway when it was time to start I had the crew set the machine in the cut and go. As usual as soon as that 800-7 was tearing up the road I calmed down. Then the paving foreman came up to me and asked if I was sure that I had started in the right spot. I had backed the machine up past the beginning of the job to the wrong bridge . I learned not to get nervous. And to look for an arrow painted on the road.

milling_drum

Occupation
asphalt mill operator (ret)
Hahahaha thats hilarious. Seems like these days they usually just argue as to where to start and then don't tell you until after your 400 ft down the road they wanted a taper (ramp). Good one.

andoman

Well not our mill but our sub's 2100 blew a conveyor swing cylinder yesterday (I should have took a picture but I was too worried about production), it blew hydrolic fluid everywhere. Had to drain both and push the conveyor straight with a backhoe then lock it down with a chain binder. It sucked in the turns but for a quick fix on a saturday with no parts availability it did the job. Get-R-Done mentality I guess.

milling_drum

Occupation
No parts huh? Must have been a Wirtgen, all the American made mills are pretty easy to get parts for or....they usually carry a few goodies with them...the mill subs.

jeffvega

Think the strangest thing I've done with a mill is excavate a football field with a 525 cmi so they could install fake turf, think we ate two drum bearings on that job but the drum sure polished up nice! Also I've used a w1200 to grind stumps at Stanford U

John123

Hi everyone. I was pretty excited when a friend told me about this site. I figured a good way to start out would be to admit the dumbest thing I have done with a mill. A few years ago I was doing a mill and fill on I-75 in Dayton Ohio. I was a little nervous since this was my first night job and that area Rt 4 and I-75 was know for crashes. Anyway when it was time to start I had the crew set the machine in the cut and go. As usual as soon as that 800-7 was tearing up the road I calmed down. Then the paving foreman came up to me and asked if I was sure that I had started in the right spot. I had backed the machine up past the beginning of the job to the wrong bridge . I learned not to get nervous. And to look for an arrow painted on the road.

This is really a dumbest action. Nobody can think till this point. But for sure it made me laugh for a long time, even I am laughing right now.

Jiujitsustudent

dumbest mistake

we were milling city streets in albq new mex and there were burried grenades everywhere(manholes) WELL WE HAD marked most of them out, and were were just running around with the mill and trimming them out. I would just pick the front legs up a little and hit 3 od's to got to the next one. well I passed over one with the od's on, and forgot the moldboard is still close to the ground if you dont lift up the ass end. well with 3 od's on and you grab the manhole with the moldboard it really messes it up. Took two days of welding and heating it up to get it semi strait. It was never the same. Luckily we live by the motto what happns out of town stays out of town and I never got in trouble.

Jiujitsustudent

I got ran over by a belly dump trailer we had just loaded...He was moving on an angle when the cab passed me I had 4 feet but when the trailer came by it ran over my left foot and ankle and my right leg right above the ankle...it still hurts like a bitch standin up on the mill for 12 hours but I sit as often as I can. freakin blind ass truckers

Occupation
production of paper
Hauling five full length logs to a spot with an older 680 backhoe. All chained up to hoe lifted logs on one end. I was reversed in seat, machine in gear and running the hand throttle...hit a dip in ground and over goes machine on side. Other than dumping 25 gallons of fuel, pride was hurt. A neighbor farmer had a skidder and hooked winch over rear tire, and uprighted it for me...not a good day.

milling_drum

Occupation
Well At times you have to wonder, they sent me to run a mill that has a stripped engine oil plug. The mouldboard looks horrible from all the oil leaking down on it and then obviously you check the engine oil because you have to run it all day like it is. Seems like this type of thing is ok for some....

http://youtu.be/SEn2XHQS7y4

milling_drum

Occupation
Just think of what I've shared with you recently Andoman, it almost makes this stuff look little league. hahasha Ya@oil, helps the teeth rotate too;)