• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Drott 80 and 120 picture request

Goose

Heres some more detailed info on the Drott 120

Attachments

• Drott 120.jpg
    Drott 120.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 1,499
  • Drott 120a.jpg
    Drott 120a.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 1,414
  • Drott 120b.jpg
    Drott 120b.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 1,376
  • Drott 120c.jpg
    Drott 120c.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 1,323
  • Drott 120d.jpg
    Drott 120d.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 1,335

stepp3360

Goose,
Thanks for posting these pictures. I find it's a great looking machine. It's a big help for my
modeling project.
John

gggraham

Occupation
Licensed Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic
Some cool old brochures in this thread...must be a bunch of older guys here...me included.

dayexco

i cut my teeth on a drott 50 with a v-6/53 detroit...loved the 2 speed hoist..turntable leveler...at age 55, i'd give my left nut to spend couple of days on a 120. can you imagine the scream a v/12/71 would make? close to orgasmic :)

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
......at age 55, i'd give my left nut to spend couple of days on a 120. can you imagine the scream? close to orgasmic :)

:badidea keep the nut and the dreams. I bet the noise would be a let down even without ear defenders :D but I get your drift ....................

PARDON! ........ I said ...................... dont matter, enjoy :drinkup

Last edited:

excavator22

What happend to Drott?Did Case buy them out?They must have had a good patent on the house level option.I dont see any other companys using it.

The other day I was looking at mini excavators and I found on Gehl's website that on their 223 and 373 mini's the house leveling comes standard.

www.gehl.com

wisoak

i cut my teeth on a drott 50 with a v-6/53 detroit...loved the 2 speed hoist..turntable leveler...at age 55, i'd give my left nut to spend couple of days on a 120. can you imagine the scream a v/12/71 would make? close to orgasmic :)

It was not only a screamer, but a fantastic earthmover. The City of Saskatoon had a Drott 120 that they only brought out in the dead of winter, because the 120 was the only machine in that day that would dig through the deep frost.

The Drott 120 was eliminated from production when Case bought out Poclain and started to market Poclain excavators in the USA in the late '70's.

I've operated a 120. It was a slow deliberate, but very powerful machine!

opeltwinturbo

I had the opportunity to sell one of the last Drott 120's manufactured back in 1980. It was sold to Davis Industries (Uniontown, PA) then sold to Starvaggi Mining in Masontown, PA. The Drott 120 was a monster of a machine for its time. It was big, slow, and powerful. Unfortunately, it was also prone to breakdown. Yes, listening to that V12 Detroit was a breath taking experience. The advent of high pressure hydraulic backhoes from companies like Poclain, Leibherr, and Cat were a contributing factor to their demise. Drott was acquired by Case as was Poclain. Poclain made major inroads in the U.S. with sales and distribution through Caterpillar dealers (prior to Cats introduction of backhoes). Poclain then used a variety of dealership networks but never regained the market share once Cat introduced their backhoes. The Drott name appeared on "Poclain" models as did the Case name once Case cleaned up their marketing line.

opeltwinturbo

I have a chance to buy a drott 120 you said they were prone to breakdowns what kind of breakdowns.

You must consider that was 32 years ago. The machine had continuous hydraulic problems. We had constant service calls (2 hours from shop) for pump, lines, control valves, and cylinder failures. The low pressure system was very taxed to keep up with the massive cylinders in order to create the power generated at that time. Therefore, the development of the HP system. When it did run it was a beast. However, it couldn't hold a candle to a HC300 or 400 Poclain. Good luck.

IUOE Man

Occupation
Operating Engineer
I have a Aug 1975 Roads & Streets mag with a Drott add in it on page 71-72.It says it handles buckets up to 3 and a quarter yards,reach more than 47 feet and will dig deeper than 31feet.Weighing more than 134,000lbs and has a 456hp engine,(Which is a 12v71N Detroit) Track width is ajustable from 11'11 1/2 to 13'6 wide. It has 36" track pads and the track is 18ft long.The counterweight weighs 27,500lbs which two cylc lower in the back for transport. Hope this helps.Will try to post the pic later.

renaud

Hello "Johnny boy"!!
That's quite the machine you're looking for.....not the easiest to find!!
But as of Friday, i am heading to Pennsylvania to do some machine hunt.I will be on the lookout for anything obsolete and hard to find.You can be sure that if i come across one of these beasts, i will take lots of picutres of it along with some measurements of all the main components for you.
I gotta admit that the 120 will be a terrific model to have in any collection of vintage construction equipment.
Good luck with your search.
Max.

srm

I worked for a company in the 80s and as the story goes there either was only 10 of them made or 10 in the country, but we had 2 of them new. They were slow but strong as we set 9ft dia concrete pipe with them. Not off the bucket we picked them from the end of the boom. Lift cylinders were mounted behind the boom arch and pulled in wards to lift the boom. They had a wild long boom and a short stick which made holding grade hard. But good for going deep. Guy I worked for would never fix any leakes on them from the time they were new so we put a 55gal drum of hyd oil on top and just kept filling the hdy tank

wimm25

Hello my father still has a 120 excavator. At 1 time we had 7 of them. I will try and get you some pictures of ours. I believe he has a model of 1 of them also. Are construction company had every size excavator that they made. John drott had a photo taken with them in are yard around early 80s. I will get you some photos as soon as I can.
Thank you
Scott