• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Drott 80 and 120 picture request

stepp3360

I can always count on the HEF forum members to come though when I need pictures. I'm working on another modeling project. Does anybody have pictures of either the Drott 80 or 120 excavators Would prefer crawler mounted. I have been able to locate parts and service manuals, but still need some pix's.
Thanks,
John

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
What you are asking for is somewhat new to me and I worked for years on Drotts. The model 80 was a rubber tired backhoe or out here in the Northwest they were also log loaders. I've seen the truck body also used for Drott cruise cranes. I have never seen or heard of a Drott 120.

Maybe there was something different that was used in your section of the country?

stepp3360

Drott 120

Based on what I can locate on line. The Drott 120 was a 120,000 pound crawler mounted excavator. Their is several pictures of a Drott 80 log loader on line on a wheeled undercarriage. I seem to remember seeing one in Alaska years ago. It's Big!
John

John C.

Occupation
I've worked on a half a dozen 80s. The biggest Drott I've ever seen or even heard of was a 50.

If you find those photos please post them here. I would be interested in seeing them and I'm sure others would also.

stepp3360

ebay purchase

I have purchase this transport guide off e-bay. It will give a since of the size of a Drott 120. Looks like it weights around 135,000 pounds ready to operate. I've been though all my books, but no pictures. Now it's a challenge to locate something.

Attachments

• somet.JPG
    somet.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 3,435

gggraham

Occupation
Licensed Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic
Drott 160 Brochure pics

Drott pictures hope this helps

Attachments

• drott160.jpg
    drott160.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 3,956
  • drott160part1.jpg
    drott160part1.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 3,401
  • drott160part2.jpg
    drott160part2.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 3,418
  • drott160part3.jpg
    drott160part3.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 3,677

td25c

Thats pretty cool.We have a few Drott 40 & 50 excavators in my area.They have the leveling house for side hill digging.Neet idea.

gggraham

Occupation
We use to have tons of 35's and 40's around. Then the 1080's and 1080b's took over. They had levellers on them too.

td25c

What happend to Drott?Did Case buy them out?They must have had a good patent on the house level option.I dont see any other companys using it.

Goose

Ithink I have a sales literature for a 120 Drott at work. I will check monday and let you know. The 160 that Graham paoted is acually a Poclain built machine. Case had to use the drott name for so long after they bought them out but must not have had any stipulation were they had to use the name.

John C.

Occupation
Now I understand. Goose is correct in the photo of the machine is a Poclain with a Drott decal. If there was a Drott 120 I'm sure it would have been a Poclain.

The history on Drott that I heard was they got into trouble with law suits on the cruise crane line and had to find a way to bail. Tennico Corporation acquired the Drott line, Case Manufacturing and Poclain all about the same time and ran the company for several years. Case eventually bought their way out carrying what was left of the Drott line with them.

As I understand it the engineer with Drott that developed the tilting house was friends with the people that developed the Timbco feller buncher line and put those ideas into that machinery.

At any rate I would still be interested in a photo of the 120 Drott.

gggraham

Occupation
Sorry I don't have a Drott120 picture or brochure. You are correct though the 160 I posted was a Poclain/Drott they later became Case/Drott/Poclain. They early ones were Poclain Red and White with Drott decals, later they were Case Tan and Brown with Drott stickers although still much the same as a Poclain/Drott. Here is a picture of an 880D Case which is really just a Drott. The major changes were probably engines. The first ones were Detroit later replaced by Case 504 at least in the smaller excavators.

Attachments

• 880D.jpg
    880D.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 4,298

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
:confused: I have NEVER seen DROTT on an excavator and was convinced that gggraham was on a wind up as that machine to me is definetly a Poclain which I understood were a French machine.

Just hunted

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=3248
&highlight=Poclain

Scroll down the first page and you will find a 220 and then a wheeled 61 which has the gap between the back of the cab and engine like on the Case 788 and probably others.

So which came first, as excavators, I would take it as Poclain then to get into the States a tie up with Case who had fingers in the Drott pie. :beatsme

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
I can always count on the HEF forum members to come though when I need pictures. I'm working on another modeling project. Does anybody have pictures of either the Drott 80 or 120 excavators Would prefer crawler mounted. I have been able to locate parts and service manuals, but still need some pix's.
Thanks,
John

If it works out that it is actually a badged Poclain, pictures should be a lot easier to find. I know I have some of a 75 I was on in 1978, to be honest it looks just like the 160 and 220 just further away :D

dayexco

burnout posted this one earlier

here's a pic of a 120 drott burnout posted earlier.

Attachments

• DSC00649Small.jpg
    DSC00649Small.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 5,730

stepp3360

Thanks for posting that picture. It has an unusual configuration with the boom lift hydraulic cylinders. I wonder what their engineers were thinking.
John

John C.

Occupation
Thanks for the photo. That machine has the sheet metal of the Drott line but that boom and stick combination suggests to me that it is one of or at very least a very limited production machine.

I can't see how it would ever have been productive in that configuration.

Learn something new all the time on here.

Thanks again!

stepp3360

Found the brochure

A friend located this brochure on the web. I wonder the number of these units that were sold. I did locate where one was sold at auction for parts in 2006. It certainly a different looking boom design. Is must a little light feeling in the rear when fully loaded.
John

Attachments

• DROTT1~1.JPG
    DROTT1~1.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 1,855

gggraham

Occupation
If you look at some of the old parts books for Poclain/Case excavators there was a decal for the counter weight that said "Poclain by Elf" I don't remember seeing one flagged like that. I do remember the Drott series and the older red and white Poclain. I'll try to dig something up at work if the old books are still around.

Last edited: