• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dresser TD8G powershift transmisson aerated oil

Unimog406

Hello I have a new to me TD8G with about 4k hours. I changed the transmission fluid and both filters ( the pressure filter is a baldwin and the scavenge filter was a aftermarket but the micron rating was the same and it looked identical to the one that came out) , since that time when the machine is running there is a considerable cavitation noise coming from the pressure filter. The old oil was clean with minimal debris. The scavenge filer had some debris but nothing i would think out of the ordinary for an older machine. The oil in the sump is full of air. The oil level is full when running. I added a extra gallon thinking the dipstick could be off or something with the pick up. I have had both filters out several times and do not see any issues. I have tried cranking it over several times to bleed the filters out and let it idle for different periods of time. I do not see any leaks on the suction hoses or filter bodies. When first starting the machine after sitting you can hear what sounds like a large slug of air coming through the lines by the filter housing. I used a universal trans/hydraulic oil which has a viscosity of 10w30. The machine is inside in a heated shop. It drives and moves in all gears and the clutch pressure seems ok.
Any Ideas on what could be the cause. I don't think the machine had this issue prior to the oil and filter change.
Thanks for any advice

Welder Dave

What oil does it spec. in the manual? Some oils have anti-foaming properties but if it makes a noticeable noise wondering if a seal or o-ring on the filter is not quite right?

Unimog406

Hello welder Dave Thank you for your response. The manual calls for a 10W oil. The oil I used I have used previously in various types of equipment that have combined hydraulic wet clutch transmission with out issues the oil does have anti-foaming properties. I have replaced and checked the filter seals A few times and not found anything that would indicate a leak. But I do think the air is being pulled into the system possibly due to a pump seal ?

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Those used automatic transmission fluid when they came out as I recall. I've had customers that used engine oils and then had heating problems. The last I heard was the tractor hydraulic fluid was being used. You might ask your question over on Red Power.